Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:58 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,492,490 times

Advertisements

If Jesus or Paul or the other 'letter writers' are talking to one person or, say, the people of Corinth...
do you take it as personally being said to you?
If Jesus says, Do not worry about the morrow...I take that personally.
When Paul said, Be anxious for nothing but in prayer...I take that personally....as direct and clear direction.

Is there anything you do not take personally? As in, that individual needed to hear that and no one else?
In other words, it was meant for that one person, not a blanket statement for all?
A post made me think of this.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 11:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,098,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
If Jesus or Paul or the other 'letter writers' are talking to one person or, say, the people of Corinth...
do you take it as personally being said to you?
If Jesus says, Do not worry about the morrow...I take that personally.
When Paul said, Be anxious for nothing but in prayer...I take that personally....as direct and clear direction.

Is there anything you do not take personally? As in, that individual needed to hear that and no one else?
In other words, it was meant for that one person, not a blanket statement for all?
A post made me think of this.
Thanks
No. Of course not. Just like the Facebook message I sent to my wife this morning was not intended for you.

We must understand the context in which statements were written. Jeremiah 29:11 does not tell us that God has a purpose for us and wants to give us prosperity. The context tells us it was for the Israelites that were in Babylonian captivity.

As for statements like what Jesus said about "Do not worry"? Yes--that is a general statement that we can and should depend on God.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:16 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,748,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. Of course not. Just like the Facebook message I sent to my wife this morning was not intended for you.

We must understand the context in which statements were written. Jeremiah 29:11 does not tell us that God has a purpose for us and wants to give us prosperity. The context tells us it was for the Israelites that were in Babylonian captivity.

As for statements like what Jesus said about "Do not worry"? Yes--that is a general statement that we can and should depend on God.
this ^&^.. except where he tells you something( by any means he can speak to you ) and at least will double witness it at least once in his word.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,111,272 times
The question you posed in the OP, Miss Hepburn, took me back a number of years to an incident I'll probably never forget. My husband and I decided to postpone having children for quite a long time (nearly 9 years, actually). That is extremely uncommon among Mormons. While the Church has never had any official policy concerning birth control, there is quite a lot of social pressure for Mormons to have a lot of children. (I won't go into the reasons here, as it would derail the thread and I don't want to do that.) At any rate, the scripture that is used by people to support the belief that every married woman should be having as many kids as she possibly can is God's command to Adam and Eve to "multiply and replenish the earth." I used to have people drop subtle hints to me that I was being disobedient to God's commandment by not doing my part, and by actually trying to keep from becoming pregnant.

One day, after we had been married maybe about six years, we were busy getting ready for work one morning when the phone rang. It was my sister-in-law, calling from two states away to chastise us over our sin of not having children. I only heard one side of the conversation, of course, but from my husband's comments, I knew what was being said on the other end of the line. I lost it. I started screaming, "Tell your sister to mind her own business!" (plus a few choice expletives I won't list here).

When I mentioned the phone call to my parents (who never once in those nine years asked if they were ever going to be grandparents), my dad just shook his head, rolled his eyes and calmly replied, "The next time she tells you that it's your responsibility to multiply and replenish the earth because God told Adam and Eve to do so, ask her if she's started building her ark yet."

I think my uncontrollable banshee rant probably scared her off, because she never brought up the subject again. That was kind of unfortunate because I really did want to use my dad's line on her.

Last edited by Katzpur; 08-10-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 11:36 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,074,983 times
EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, in there has meaning for us, as individual souls, the whole of it is a letter from G-d to our soul. But the Word has layers of meaning and layers of understanding, INCLUDING that it literally happened to a specific set of people. Understanding this concept is as simple as this acronym....Peace

Pardes: (lit. “orchard”); the metaphorical term used to refer to the four levels of Torah interpretation: pshat (the literal meaning of the text), remez (its allusions), derush (the homilies that can be derived from it), and sod (its mystical secrets)

Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"The next time she tells you that it's your responsibility to multiply and replenish the earth because God told Adam and Eve to do so, ask her if she's started building her ark yet."
You had one smart Dad!!!!!
Perfect example.
I am finding the posts to be very interesting...I didn't know which way people thought on this.
What does Katzpur mean, anyway, if i may ask?

Old 08-10-2017, 11:47 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,748,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, in there has meaning for us, as individual souls, the whole of it is a letter from G-d to our soul. But the Word has layers of meaning and layers of understanding, INCLUDING that it literally happened to a specific set of people. Understanding this concept is as simple as this acronym....Peace

Pardes: (lit. “orchard”); the metaphorical term used to refer to the four levels of Torah interpretation: pshat (the literal meaning of the text), remez (its allusions), derush (the homilies that can be derived from it), and sod (its mystical secrets)
and I will add to that it's cultural context might be quite different than it original purpose but true on both cultural contexts or only true to one of them.. that is why were are to ask of his spirit and then search out / seek it's meaning .

people are taking his "Love" passages or instruction out of context. he was talking to a culture that wasn't our culture doing things we don't do now. they have no problem dismissing say head coverings or cicumsiion as cultural ... but will beat a person to death they consider to not be love-able enough..at least get consistent and realize the love he is talking about is pointing at cultural issues where the jews are inconsistent with all God's truth not just the feel goods. not just the ones you(alls) like or don't like today / AKA PC ness / stoning some and not others/ inconsistent laws favoring the rich and not giving justice to the poor. this is love to protect the weak and the meek and the innocent . not the guilty . let God provide for the quilty if he wants them saved or protected.. that is his business after all ! right?

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-10-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 08-10-2017, 12:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,972,558 times
Well, Miss H, I don't take ANY such directions as rules to follow but advice given, which may or may not apply to me.

Old 08-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Miss H, I don't take ANY such directions as rules to follow but advice given, which may or may not apply to me.
I call it advice, also.
Suggestions, clues, direction...but, rules or demands that have been mentioned of late? No.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,111,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What does Katzpur mean, anyway, if i may ask?
Well, my first name is Kathryn. My last name is Hispanic, and ends with a 'z'. That explains the "Katz" part of my name. The "pur" just popped into my head when I was trying to come up with a user name for another forum about fifteen years ago. Since I love animals, and cats purr when they are happy, I decided to go with Katzpur. And as I occasionally tell people, I'd much rather engage in civil, respectful conversation than in hostile confrontations, so be nice to me and I'll purr. Be an a-hole, though, and you'll soon learn that this Kat has claws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity