Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Joseph being a widower before marrying Mary? I've read some text that he was married and had kids then his wife died. I've never heard this before but I know this is definitely a common occurrence during those times, and earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 01:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
What are your thoughts on Joseph being a widower before marrying Mary? I've read some text that he was married and had kids then his wife died. I've never heard this before but I know this is definitely a common occurrence during those times, and earlier.
Nothing in Scripture to suggest that.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,719,430 times
I've read this in historical text. I believe the scriptures are inspired and inerrant however we obviously do not have all the information about what was going on then. It may not have been relevant to the story or that we shouldn't get lost in those details. It could've distracted from the main message. Not sure. Just trying to see what others think.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I've read this in historical text. I believe the scriptures are inspired and inerrant however we obviously do not have all the information about what was going on then. It may not have been relevant to the story or that we shouldn't get lost in those details. It could've distracted from the main message. Not sure. Just trying to see what others think.
What historical text? I know many Catholics I've spoken to suggest it from Tradition, but there just isn't any real reason to suggest it, based on Scripture.

In any event, I'm not sure why it matters, if one doesn't have a preconceived notion that she was a perpetual virgin. I know many suggest that Joseph did not expect to have marital relations, so this is a theory many have.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:28 AM

18 posts, read 14,587 times
The idea seems to have come from an apocryphal "Gospel of James" written by an unknown author in the second half of the 2nd century. The first recorded mention of this "Gospel" is by Origen of Alexandria in the early 3rd century, who said it was of dubious, recent appearance. Pope Innocent I also condemned this 'Gospel of James' in his third epistle 'ad Exuperium' in 405 AD, so the 'Joseph tradition' of the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches that grew out of this "Gospel" cannot be considered as coming from a reliable source.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
yes lots of wives died in childbirth and such . so yes I suspect Jesus had half brothers... and probably at least one full sister and maybe a brother or two fuller siblings. From clan concepts the children from Mary would have been full siblings of a single clan / same womb, no matter who the dad was . it just happens that Joseph was genticly of the direct male clan line from King David and thus had right to save Israel .. and was as close to Jesus real father as was alive in that time.

another point to consider was king David was older when he took Bathsheba( a khepa) and Joseph was also older when he took Mary( a Khepa like Elizabeth) .... yes lots of parallel ruts/ aka fingerprints of a living God . so it appears Jesus was raised by the same people, as his real parents considering their clan/ or direct genetics . in the 7 clan systems the same womb ... means that they would be viewed like sisters or aunts or mothers even spanning thousands of years. because genetically they were all identical and would and could throw nearly identical children in a community or group of the same male clans .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-11-2017 at 06:51 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
yes lots of wives died in childbirth and such . so yes I suspect Jesus had half brothers... and probably at least one full sister and maybe a brother or two fuller siblings. From clan concepts the children from Mary would have been full siblings of a single clan / same womb, no matter who the dad was . it just happens that Joseph was genticly of the direct male clan line from King David and thus had right to save Israel .. and was as close to Jesus real father as was alive in that time.

another point to consider was king David was older when he took Bathsheba( a khepa) and Joseph was also older when he took Mary( a Khepa like Elizabeth) .... yes lots of parallel ruts/ aka fingerprints of a living God . so it appears Jesus was raised by the same people, as his real parents considering their clan/ or direct genetics . in the 7 clan systems the same womb ... means that they would be viewed like sisters or aunts or mothers even spanning thousands of years. because genetically they were all identical and would and could throw nearly identical children in a community or group of the same male clans .
That's a whole lotta speculation there. Truth be told, we just don't know. The Scriptures don't reveal that stuff. I have to think God didn't deem it important enough.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:05 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's a whole lotta speculation there. Truth be told, we just don't know. The Scriptures don't reveal that stuff. I have to think God didn't deem it important enough.
God also didn't deem it important enough to tell everyone everything every time.... he may have told a few for a good reason. God might even have had secret plans from the beginning. you know all that stuff " you can not bear" maybe because stuff is on a need to knwo bases . maybe because everyone doesn't need to know everything. everyone needs to know what is important to them.

Jhn 16:12
“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear."

or aka
Dan 12:4
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

just another finger print!

so when might he tell them ? maybe in the future ? maybe even thousand years for somethings. obviously some things were sealed up until the end. Jesus worked with me 20 years explain his/ and mine lineage as a witness to his rights/ his rights by blood/ by the womb "his inheritance " in a Matrilineal system of inheritance. he got womb rights from both Bathsheba and Mary's wombs . coming from the wombs of both , he inherited both Khepa's/ aka Sheba's ( daughters of the oath of Eve and of Job's 3 rich daughters kingdoms ) kingdoms and all that has been stolen from them and their 7 clans systems / the clan system the 7 churches if modeled after .
He didn't tell people lots of stuff ... but finding well worn ruts and the fingerprints of God is really pretty easy once you start comparing the old with the new .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-11-2017 at 07:25 AM..

Old 08-11-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
God also didn't deem it important enough to tell everyone everything every time.... he may have told a few for a good reason. God might even have had secret plans from the beginning. you know all that stuff " you can not bear" maybe because stuff is on a need to knwo bases . maybe because everyone doesn't need to know everything. everyone needs to know what is important to them.

Jhn 16:12
“I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear."

or aka
Dan 12:4
But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

just another finger print!

so when might he tell them ? maybe in the future ? maybe even thousand years for somethings. obviously some things were sealed up until the end. Jesus worked with me 20 years explain his/ and mine lineage as a witness to his rights/ his rights by blood/ by the womb "his inheritance " in a Matrilineal system of inheritance. he got womb rights from both Bathsheba and Mary's wombs . coming from the wombs of both , he inherited both Khepa's/ aka Sheba's ( daughters of the oath of Eve and of Job's 3 rich daughters kingdoms ) kingdoms and all that has been stolen from them and their 7 clans systems / the clan system the 7 churches if modeled after .
He didn't tell people lots of stuff ... but finding well worn ruts and the fingerprints of God is really pretty easy once you start comparing the old with the new .
For now, though....why bother speculating when you simply don't know?

Titus 3:9 "But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless."

Old 08-11-2017, 07:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
It should be clear that the idea of Mary's eternal virginity is the product of a seriously bad idea about "holy" as separate and "pure" in the sense of unused as opposed to used for God's purpose. God is not the God of separateness, but of action in love, and "Holy" is "dedicted to God's purpose."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity