Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 07:43 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,055,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
We're human, so we're going to sin. But it doesn't need to be an issue to trip us up. We have a mind and a will, and certainly can put them into use. Even the New Testament, the 12 disciples and early church had problems at times with their old selves. But it wasn't a problem to Jesus, and he didn't reject them anytime they tripped. He helped them up, showed how to look at matters in a new light, and what to do differently. And he gives us rescue in an ultimate sense. So, sin is really only a problem if we choose to let it be a problem. We've been given the tools to deal with it.
I thought thoreau was interested in the truth.. if you think sin is a minor issue to Jesus Christ, either before or after conversion, you are sadly mistaken.

Jesus never said 'Well you're human, so you're going to sin.. no big issue', infact this is what the Lord Jesus Christ said to His Church in Ephesus..

Revelation 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

and Pergamum..

Revelation 2:14-17 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

and Sardis..

Revelation 3:1-3 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

and Laodicea..

Revelation 3:15-19 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Notice especially the last verse, as many as He loves, He rebukes and chastens. The Lord Jesus Christ takes sin quite seriously, make no mistake about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 01:35 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,967,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Where there is love, there is no need for the law.
REAL love, the kind that Jesus brought, rejoices in the truth, and rejoices not in sin.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
From the Bible:

15. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under law, but under grace? God forbid.

16. Know ye not, that to whom ye present yourselves as servants unto obedience, his servants ye are whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

17. But thanks be to God, that, whereas ye were servants of sin, ye became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching whereunto ye were delivered;

18. and being made free from sin, ye became servants of righteousness. (Roman 6:15-18)
God bless you, Mikko. Truth is hard to find nowadays, just as it is written.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
When we were under grace than we would of been delivered from sin ..... To be delivered from sin , people need to resist sin and repent and move the grace of God authority to deliver them from the works of the devil ... So to be servants of righteousness to God under grace we need to put the devil and his works under our feet ....... as the grace of God is the power of Christ .......... See the devil can read the bible and the devil in people can hate and even love others, but God Grace will discern spirits of deception and cleanse us
Amen! Jesus gives the children of God power over sin, so put the devil under foot.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,753,450 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpa94ejnc4

he is right .. but bring us to the son , the son and to the word.. is righteousness and not eating from our own ideas of good and evil.. but consuming of his righteousness and his spirit . in Him only can we overcome sins and heal .

Old 09-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I thought thoreau was interested in the truth.. if you think sin is a minor issue to Jesus Christ, either before or after conversion, you are sadly mistaken.

Jesus never said 'Well you're human, so you're going to sin.. no big issue', infact this is what the Lord Jesus Christ said to His Church in Ephesus..

Revelation 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

and Pergamum..

Revelation 2:14-17 But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. Repent; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

and Sardis..

Revelation 3:1-3 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

and Laodicea..

Revelation 3:15-19 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked: I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Notice especially the last verse, as many as He loves, He rebukes and chastens. The Lord Jesus Christ takes sin quite seriously, make no mistake about it.
Amen! The Word is sharper than a two edged sword.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:57 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,248,857 times
Who cares. As far as the Calvinists are concerned, all the other Christian religious denominations are the non-elect and are considered hell bound.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,082,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Where there is love, there is no need for the law.

Actually, that's inaccurate. What was said was, that AGAINST SUCH, there is no law. Which only means that the law does not need to be USED to correct such, not that there is never any need for the law, as everyone that wants to do away with it, seems to construe that scripture as meaning. Whether you do or not, I don't know, I'm just lining up the thought there, BTW. Peace

Old 09-01-2017, 05:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,985,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Actually, that's inaccurate. What was said was, that AGAINST SUCH, there is no law. Which only means that the law does not need to be USED to correct such, not that there is never any need for the law, as everyone that wants to do away with it, seems to construe that scripture as meaning. Whether you do or not, I don't know, I'm just lining up the thought there, BTW. Peace
Speaking of civil law, Paul says
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Tim 1
New International Version
We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers,

Old 09-01-2017, 05:25 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,229,017 times
It's a deep subject.

1) we died with Christ - our new identity is Him.

That's right, as He is, so are we. (1 John 4:17). And how does the Father see us? We're the body of Christ, right? He's the head of the body. So when you identify someone, you look at the head.

God sees Christ when He looks at you.

2) That leads to this: believers once cleansed should have no more consciousness of sin. (Hebrews 10:2). And what does that free us from? The law of sin keeps us in that cycle, because the law is the strength of sin. (1 Cor. 15:56)

Basically, Christianity is a complete new life and identity. You can't mix the old mind with the new mind, and as a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity