Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But what do you call someone who can both die and rise from the dead of His own volition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Was it not GOD who raised him (Christ Jesus) or gave him the power to raise himself?
Quote:
John 10:17-18 says, "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." My understanding is that He had the power himself to lay down His life and take it up again, but that He was doing so in obedience to His Father's commandment. In other words, regardless of His own power to do whatever He wished, He knew He was in a position of subordination to His Father. As He said himself, "The Father is greater than than Son."
I am aware of John 10:17-18, however that does not negate where his authority came from, for of himself, he could do nothing. And there are many more verses which indicate that it was by and through the power which was given to him. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead - will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you (Romans 8:11).

(BTW- one would not truly be dead - if he could raise himself - from the dead) NDE

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-08-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 07:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
If he could die, he would not be GOD.
Quote:
But what do you call someone who can both die and rise from the dead of His own volition?
Quote:
Was it not GOD who raised him (Christ Jesus) or gave him the power to raise himself?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Are you suddenly at a lose relying on a inner spirit written guide for answers?

In this Spirit written guide

Jesus claims that he himself ... not your borrowed power possibility ... will raise himself.
Go ahead, be shameless on this occasion, look it up for yourself.

In case you suddenly aren't able to get any corporation from that inerrant inner self spirit guide for help, try:
John 2:19-21
Jesus answered them, 'Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.' ...
the temple he had spoken of was his body.
Kinda important truth to be left out by that misguided inner self spirit guide.
Quote:
Now here is a question that anyone who worships the inner self spirit guide:

Just what possible motive would the Jews have to make Jesus' tomb as secure as possible if they not hear Jesus say:
'Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.' ... Jesus
(
the temple he had spoken of was his body.)
hmmm
I see, you haven't a clue as to the Presence or Power of GOD.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,854 times
Jesus Christ proclaimed to Israel (Revelation)...Jesus Christ made manifest to Israel (The Fourth Gospel). Everyone here who believes these two things happened on a globe are in my opinion, globe heads, spinning around but having no rest.

Last edited by littlewitness; 09-08-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 PM

1,220 posts, read 986,854 times
Personal attack? Only if you take it personally...which you do.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:44 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
Oh, I know it makes sense to you since you and God are buddies.
But if not here it is spelled out: If people don't agree to thine sexist bigoted narrative they:
  • are hateful
  • are male chauvinistic delusional Bible writers
  • parrot a book written by ignorant men without the voices of women
  • cannot have a relationship with God if you do not have a relationship with women

Jesus' claim that he was God was the very issue when Jesus forgave the sins of the paralytic, since the Jews maintained only God has the final ultimate authority to forgive sin.

Despite these none believing Jews, Jesus forgave the man's sins and did so on his own authority.
And to add proof of his claim of being God, Jesus healed the paralytic man ... again on his own authority.

His miracles were not done to fill stomachs but to prove he was God.
Jesus never made the claim. You are making up things he never claimed for himself. It is the lie you tell yourself and others. A relationship based on a lie will not stand the test of time. You will find yourself defending that lie, over and over again.

You cannot have a relationship with God if you do not have a relationship with women.

The Bible was written by men who excluded the voices of women.

God and I are very old friends.

Don't like it? Meh. I am unconcerned.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:10 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
I am aware of John 10:17-18, however that does not negate where his authority came from, for of himself, he could do nothing. And there are many more verses which indicate that it was by and through the power which was given to him. And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead - will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you (Romans 8:11).
I'm not saying His power wasn't originally given to Him by His Father. As a matter of fact, I believe it was. But He had it, nevertheless, unlike the rest of us.

Quote:
(BTW- one would not truly be dead - if he could raise himself - from the dead) NDE
I don't believe the spirit ever dies. When I speak of physical death, I am referring to the departure of the life-giving spirit from the mortal body. And when I speak of resurrection, I am referring to the re-entry of the immortal spirit into the body, giving it immortal life. From my perspective, it would indeed be possible for Jesus to have raised himself. He could have done so by willing His spirit to enter the body it left at death. This is something I believe only a divine being could have done.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:31 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,870 times
Quote:
John 10:17-18 says, "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." My understanding is that He had the power himself to lay down His life and take it up again, but that He was doing so in obedience to His Father's commandment. In other words, regardless of His own power to do whatever He wished, He knew He was in a position of subordination to His Father. As He said himself, "The Father is greater than than Son."
^^^

Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
So you believe He laid down His life in obedience to God and NOT in love for us all because we knew not what we did? What a sad view of God and diminution of the sacrifice Jesus made to show us the TRUE NATURE of God. IMO, your view diminishes God and the significance of the horrendous scourging and crucifixion Jesus allowed Himself to suffer just to obey a command from a vengeful God who was impotent to forgive us without it. I see NO love at all in that scenario which is why I reject it completely.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,685 times
One of my favorite verses on the Deity of Christ, from the Old Testament:

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:56 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:
A bad weekend at human camp?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity