Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,959,660 times

Advertisements

This one we have seen here, but a review may be in order:

7. It is not possible to be separated from God.

All this hooey about God "not hearing" under some conditions is just that and God always cares (Matt 5:42 ff)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:25 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,379,087 times
Being a heretic myself, i absolutely agree with Peggy.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:29 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,593,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post

All this hooey about God "not hearing" under some conditions is just that and God always cares (Matt 5:42 ff)
Jesus said that it is possible.
Matthew 25:41 Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; . . . 26] "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

So did the apostle Paul.
2 Thess. 1:6 For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7] and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8] dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9] These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10] when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed-- for our testimony to you was believed.
There are many who will never enter into a saving relationship with God and will therefore remain under condemnation and judgment forever in a place the Bible calls the lake of fire. A place of which we don't really know its nature. The word 'fire' is used in speaking of judgment and doesn't necessarily refer to literal fire. Just as the Bible speaks of degrees of reward for believers it also indicates that there will be degrees of punishment for unbelievers (Matt. 11:23-24).

Old 02-14-2015, 03:10 PM

And you believe that punishment is merely revenge?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:26 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,593,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus said that it is possible.
Matthew 25:41 Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; . . . 26] "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

So did the apostle Paul.
2 Thess. 1:6 For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7] and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, 8] dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9] These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10] when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed-- for our testimony to you was believed.
There are many who will never enter into a saving relationship with God and will therefore remain under condemnation and judgment forever in a place the Bible calls the lake of fire. A place of which we don't really know its nature. The word 'fire' is used in speaking of judgment and doesn't necessarily refer to literal fire. Just as the Bible speaks of degrees of reward for believers it also indicates that there will be degrees of punishment for unbelievers (Matt. 11:23-24).
Quote:
And you believe that punishment is merely revenge?
If you are referring to the use of the word ἐκδίκησιν - ekdikēsin in 2 Thessalonians 1:8 which is translated as vengeance or retribution, it is simply referring to God in perfect righteousness, and with perfect justice punishing the unjust. God recompenses both the godly and the ungodly accordingly. His judgments are always fair.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:48 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,957,992 times
I'm with Peggy and Pcamps.

I would add that I believe that us humans often turn AWAY from God (Love) and we end up walking in darkness. But God never turns away from us. It doesn't matter who you are, what label you wear.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:57 PM

874 posts, read 638,245 times
Quote:

Ummm, this one is a little different for me.

I think the human can be separated from God, but I don't think God is ever separated from the human.

I also believe that in the day of judgment, God will separate himself from the souls who refuse Him - if any are left.

I don't have a clue where the church would stand on this one.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 PM

28,139 posts, read 30,075,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I also believe that in the day of judgment, God will separate himself from the souls who refuse Him - if any are left.
Oh wow. You don't know how "Mormon" this sounds.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:45 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,957,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post

Hi Ella, Can you expand on that a bit? What do you think this looks like? (God separating himself from the souls (if any) who "refuse him" ?Is this just another way of saying "annihilation"or some sort of eternal punishment? Reading through your posts, I'm actually surprised to read this, so I'm just curious as to what you are saying here. Or are you saying this is some sort of temporary growth period or "refining" for these souls? Thanks,
peace,
sparrow

Old 02-14-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
If you are referring to the use of the word ἐκδίκησιν - ekdikēsin in 2 Thessalonians 1:8 which is translated as vengeance or retribution, it is simply referring to God in perfect righteousness, and with perfect justice punishing the unjust. God recompenses both the godly and the ungodly accordingly. His judgments are always fair.
In other words, "yes, punishment is for vengeance and not for correction as any loving God would do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity