Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:15 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine listed ten things that she believed that would be considered heresies by institutional Christianity. I thought I would list them and see what kind of reactions came........ one at a time:

10. God doesn't get mad, or even sad, when you reject God.

Last edited by nateswift; 01-31-2015 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 07:18 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
(Can you enlarge the last line of text so it's easier to read?)

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
A friend of mine listed ten things that she believed that would be considered heresies by institutional Christianity. I thought I would list them and see what kind of reactions came........ one at a time:

I totally agree with that view.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
(Can you enlarge the last line of text so it's easier to read?)
Best I can do

Old 01-31-2015, 08:35 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:

I disagree. I think God's sad when we reject Him. The reason I say this is that this is something He allows us to do. Forcing us to accept Him would go against His nature, but He can only fully bless us when we have a mutually loving relationship, so when we reject Him, it hurts Him to think of all we're missing.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:47 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I disagree. I think God's sad when we reject Him. The reason I say this is that this is something He allows us to do. Forcing us to accept Him would go against His nature, but He can only fully bless us when we have a mutually loving relationship, so when we reject Him, it hurts Him to think of all we're missing.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see God as being "sad" because each person is "getting to God" in their own unique way and in their own time. God already knows this. Why would he be sad about something he already expects and anticipates, given our freedom to walk towards Him or away from Him. He knows no matter how far down the path that we walk AWAY from Him, we eventually will wind back around and walk towards Him. Even in this far walk down the path AWAY from Him, our sufferings are creating something. There is nothing in the darkness that God is not going to eventually turn it all around. Even the worst things in our history. In a sense, I don't see God as having a reason to be sad.

Look at it this way, if you look at yourself at a point in time in your history where you went through something painful, but ended up growing tremendously from the event, are you really looking back and focusing on the sadness of the pain.. or is that pain (now long gone and forgotten) irrelevant in comparison to the growth and wisdom that you gained? Why be sad? It's in that type of perspective that I see God as having... seeing far further than we can. Into our past and into our future and reconciling the two, ALREADY.

Even in our "sorrow" or "sufferings" or "darkness" or "walking away from Him" (walking away from LOVE)... it is not the end result. It would be far better had there not been the sorrow, or walking away from Him, from our view, however.. even in this darkness... the light will eventually win. Darkness is the illusion, in a sense. It is the flimsy thing that is fleeting. The light (love, God) is what is real and rock solid. If this being (God) already knows this... why would he be sad over our VERY TEMPORARY state of learning. Even IF we get dragged through darkness..

It's basically for THAT reason that I feel that God is kind of neutral towards our "walking towards" or "walking away" from Him because He already knows that we are here to learn. God would not have the same perspective as us. We're just here in the thick of it, trapped by time. He's beyond. He reaches into our past and reaches into our future and His "present" is not the same as ours.
sort of.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope something up there made sense.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:10 PM

867 posts, read 909,683 times
Quote:

So, that idea goes against institutional Christianity? Or, is that a common tenant in institutional Christianity?

Either way, I really don't think God cares whether we reject him.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:19 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Does this heresy have one of those long cool names like "pneumatomachianism"?

It can't be a true heresy until it has a long, complicated, and hard to pronounce name attached to it.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:54 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Jesus cried for Jerusalem at least three times. Luke 13 tells us about a day when He wept over the city before arriving there. As “He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem,” He cried, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord” (Luke 13:34–35).

Luke 19 tells us about Jesus weeping over the city as He entered into it. He wept over it, saying:“If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. For the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation” (Luke 19:42–44).

Jesus "CRIED" over the lost. those who would not be gathered under His wings. Therefore the idea that those who are lost does not grieve God is incorrect.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I don't see God as being "sad" because each person is "getting to God" in their own unique way and in their own time. God already knows this. Why would he be sad about something he already expects and anticipates, given our freedom to walk towards Him or away from Him. He knows no matter how far down the path that we walk AWAY from Him, we eventually will wind back around and walk towards Him. Even in this far walk down the path AWAY from Him, our sufferings are creating something. There is nothing in the darkness that God is not going to eventually turn it all around. Even the worst things in our history. In a sense, I don't see God as having a reason to be sad.

Look at it this way, if you look at yourself at a point in time in your history where you went through something painful, but ended up growing tremendously from the event, are you really looking back and focusing on the sadness of the pain.. or is that pain (now long gone and forgotten) irrelevant in comparison to the growth and wisdom that you gained? Why be sad? It's in that type of perspective that I see God as having... seeing far further than we can. Into our past and into our future and reconciling the two, ALREADY.

Even in our "sorrow" or "sufferings" or "darkness" or "walking away from Him" (walking away from LOVE)... it is not the end result. It would be far better had there not been the sorrow, or walking away from Him, from our view, however.. even in this darkness... the light will eventually win. Darkness is the illusion, in a sense. It is the flimsy thing that is fleeting. The light (love, God) is what is real and rock solid. If this being (God) already knows this... why would he be sad over our VERY TEMPORARY state of learning. Even IF we get dragged through darkness..

It's basically for THAT reason that I feel that God is kind of neutral towards our "walking towards" or "walking away" from Him because He already knows that we are here to learn. God would not have the same perspective as us. We're just here in the thick of it, trapped by time. He's beyond. He reaches into our past and reaches into our future and His "present" is not the same as ours.
sort of.

Sorry for the rambling, I hope something up there made sense.
I think God is sad when we walk away from him. It's like the prodigal son. His father was sad everyday until the son came back to him. Jesus told that story for a reason. When the son came back there was much rejoicing. You can't rejoice if you weren't sad to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity