Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:46 PM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
No,he didn't.
Then perhaps that is the whole reason why the father was sad.
He did not know.

Quote:
The meaning of the story is God doesn't want any of us to leave Him and wants us to come back. When we do there is much rejoicing. You can't rejoice if you aren't sad to begin with. God wants all His children to come back to Him.
In your view, how do you "leave God" and how do you come back to Him?

Also, I don't know about that statement on rejoicing. I feel joy and gladness (rejoicing) all the time about things that I wasn't "sad" over to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:57 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
No, the early Church had counsels that met to debate what is a lie and what is truth. At one they debated about Jesus being man and also God. Study the Church counsels to see why they were called.
When "truth" is being determined by the outcome of debate, something's wrong.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When "truth" is being determined by the outcome of debate, something's wrong.
Agreed but, that is always the problem when scriptural truth is subordinated to human perceptions of 'how things should be.' Once one decides that they have a 'better' basis for truth than scripture, confusion reigns.

In this case, God is hardly surprised by the rejection or rebellion of men, but, He is neither pleased or accepting of human sin and wickedness. To suggest otherwise, challenges the concept of 'God's holiness' and suggests that Christ's sacrificial death only satisfied God's love, but, had nothing to do with 'justice'.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:00 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Agreed but, that is always the problem when scriptural truth is subordinated to human perceptions of 'how things should be.' Once one decides that they have a 'better' basis for truth than scripture, confusion reigns.

In this case, God is hardly surprised by the rejection or rebellion of men, but, He is neither pleased or accepting of human sin and wickedness. To suggest otherwise, challenges the concept of 'God's holiness' and suggests that Christ's sacrificial death only satisfied God's love, but, had nothing to do with 'justice'.
The ideologies of his justice is predicated on human perceptions.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM

867 posts, read 909,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I take it you are UR rather than ET?
I'm still trying to figure out the OP and now you are throwing acronyms in there =) Ok, I'm looking it up on Google. If I can't find it you're going to have to tell me what it means. I can't find it. Can you elaborate?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 PM

867 posts, read 909,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
A friend of mine listed ten things that she believed that would be considered heresies by institutional Christianity. I thought I would list them and see what kind of reactions came........ one at a time:

10. God doesn't get mad, or even sad, when you reject God.
Look, as to whether this is a heresy thought up by Peggy...First it must be known I have never met a Peggy I like, there is just something about that name that suggests black rimmed glasses...So, I'm going to assume Peggy is rather tubby and wears black rim glasses and as a result is saying that in Modern religion it is a heresy to believe, "God doesn't get mad, or even sad, when you reject God." I mean this whole thing would be better written as, "God gets mad, or sad when you reject God," it's a heresy to believe otherwise.

Do I think in Modern Religion, you know living in the 21st Century, whether God really gives a miff if we reject him then the answer is no.

For example, if a serial killer rejects you do you really care? OK, let's go up the ladder of moral depravity, how about just a regular murder? Let's keep going up, how about someone who steals millions from the poor? How about someone who steals less from the poor...I mean you can keep going up the ladder of moral depravity and find that there are very few people who can reject you and you would care. All these people have rejected God by their actions and the more morally depraved you are the more you reject God by definition; are these anyone you would care to know?

The point being the definition of rejecting God is moral depravity; there is no one morally depraved I wish to know much less care what they feel about me.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

The conclusions are not done without much prayer and asking the Holy Spirit to guide them. We get into problems when there is no magisterium and we have thousands of churches coming to different conclusions. The bible can be interpreted in many ways as we have seen over the centuries. One church against another in how to interpret the bible and so they break off and start another church so it agrees with their conclusions. We have now around 40,000 different churches all saying they know the best way.

Just think how our country would be run if that happened to the constitution although I see some in government is trying to do that exact thing now.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:03 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
Look, as to whether this is a heresy thought up by Peggy...First it must be known I have never met a Peggy I like, there is just something about that name that suggests black rimmed glasses...So, I'm going to assume Peggy is rather tubby and wears black rim glasses and as a result is saying that in Modern religion it is a heresy to believe, "God doesn't get mad, or even sad, when you reject God." I mean this whole thing would be better written as, "God gets mad, or sad when you reject God," it's a heresy to believe otherwise.

Do I think in Modern Religion, you know living in the 21st Century, whether God really gives a miff if we reject him then the answer is no.

For example, if a serial killer rejects you do you really care? OK, let's go up the ladder of moral depravity, how about just a regular murder? Let's keep going up, how about someone who steals millions from the poor? How about someone who steals less from the poor...I mean you can keep going up the ladder of moral depravity and find that there are very few people who can reject you and you would care. All these people have rejected God by their actions and the more morally depraved you are the more you reject God by definition; are these anyone you would care to know?

The point being the definition of rejecting God is moral depravity; there is no one morally depraved I wish to know much less care what they feel about me.
Would you care more if they were your children? We are all God's children.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artifice32 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the OP and now you are throwing acronyms in there =) Ok, I'm looking it up on Google. If I can't find it you're going to have to tell me what it means. I can't find it. Can you elaborate?
Sorry. It gets debated here a lot, so most people know the terms:

ET 'Eternal Torment' (heaven/hell -belief).

UR - Universal Redemption, or 'everyone gets saved'. No belief in hell, but a belief in heaven

There is also S/R (separation from God) but nobody seems to know whether that is just a watered down Hell or not.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
op:
I don't know if there is no emotion. we have it so the universe probably has it by default. But there certainly not the malice of militants and overreaction of the literalist bible thumper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity