Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 02:38 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,928,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Thank you.

It is so hard sometimes. I have to keep reminding myself that it really does not matter in the end.

Solomon said it best--- ALL is vanity except for the searching out of God. Sometimes it is our own bad steps that brings the pain this world offers up and disguises it as pleasures. Live now for entrance into Gods kingdom by learning all that Jesus taught---Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God. It can only be accomplished--one day at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 03:38 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,129,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Solomon said it best--- ALL is vanity except for the searching out of God. Sometimes it is our own bad steps that brings the pain this world offers up and disguises it as pleasures. Live now for entrance into Gods kingdom by learning all that Jesus taught---Man does not live by bread alone, but by EVERY utterance from God. It can only be accomplished--one day at a time.
Very true. It can be so easy to get caught up in the care and concerns of this world. I am still learning to "Let God and let go."

Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times
Quote:
Any suggestions on how to calm my mind? What works for you?
May I ask what you’ve already tried?

Old 03-22-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
May I ask what you’ve already tried?
I am a take charge kind of person and a problem solver. Normally, these things in and of themselves are helpful. I find action to be calming.

Exercise - which helps. Bubble baths and reading - help. I read the bible and pray - it helps. I try to focus on something like a song in a repetitive way when I cannot sleep - sometimes helps. My niece is a therapist and I have been talking to her. She has given me some good suggestions.

I think a lot of the things I do only provide temporary relief. I need to find something that is more of a permanent change in my thought processes. I need an attitude adjustment on worry. LOL.

Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I am a take charge kind of person and a problem solver. Normally, these things in and of themselves are helpful. I find action to be calming.

Exercise - which helps. Bubble baths and reading - help. I read the bible and pray - it helps. I try to focus on something like a song in a repetitive way when I cannot sleep - sometimes helps. My niece is a therapist and I have been talking to her. She has given me some good suggestions.

I think a lot of the things I do only provide temporary relief. I need to find something that is more of a permanent change in my thought processes. I need an attitude adjustment on worry. LOL.
Been there.

As far as quieting the mind through meditation, that is not something I’ve found to be easy, but the most successful I’ve been is with simply focusing on my breath by counting (3 count inhale, 5 count exhale), gently returning to counting each time I find my focus has drifted, and no more than 15-30 minutes at a time. I also have some sort of white noise going. It’s relaxing.

There are a plethora of books and videos that may help with training your mind to focus your thoughts in a more positive, less anxious way, but everyone is so unique I think you have to be willing to seek what works for you. But, making time for appreciation and gratitude, regularly, is one uncomplicated idea that would be a good start.

Whatever you do, it’s a matter of just taking one step at a time and building on each small success. You can do it. If I could, trust me, anyone can.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Been there.

As far as quieting the mind through meditation, that is not something I’ve found to be easy, but the most successful I’ve been is with simply focusing on my breath by counting (3 count inhale, 5 count exhale), gently returning to counting each time I find my focus has drifted, and no more than 15-30 minutes at a time. I also have some sort of white noise going. It’s relaxing.

There are a plethora of books and videos that may help with training your mind to focus your thoughts in a more positive, less anxious way, but everyone is so unique I think you have to be willing to seek what works for you. But, making time for appreciation and gratitude, regularly, is one uncomplicated idea that would be a good start.

Whatever you do, it’s a matter of just taking one step at a time and building on each small success. You can do it. If I could, trust me, anyone can.
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:34 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Lots of good advice upthread. I'll suggest Yoga. Its exercises, particularly the breathing exercises, are designed for inducing and maintaining calm. Its overall health benefits are undeniable.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:54 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,305 times
Quote:
How do you deal with your worry and anxiety? I know that I should trust in the Lord (and I do) but I am having great difficulty with unburdening myself. I am having a lot of anxiety about a situation and I cannot seem to release the feelings. I do tend to be a worrier by nature, but this level of anxiety is not usual for me and I feel overcome by it.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
I am sorry you are under such stress.

Do you write? A good way to gain some relief is to write the story. Think about the ending, or the various endings of what could have been, and what should have been, and what it was.

Put it on paper and send it out to the Universe. Give the burden over to God, and leave it there.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:57 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am sorry you are under such stress.

Do you write? A good way to gain some relief is to write the story. Think about the ending, or the various endings of what could have been, and what should have been, and what it was.

Put it on paper and send it out to the Universe. Give the burden over to God, and leave it there.
Best advice on the thread, and I wish I'd said it because I DO this.

Writing is an excellent way to get "stuff" out of you, even if no other human ever reads it.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Best advice on the thread, and I wish I'd said it because I DO this.

Writing is an excellent way to get "stuff" out of you, even if no other human ever reads it.
I agree, and I do NOT do it, and had never thought to. A very unique and worthwhile suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity