Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
IF you celebrate Easter, what do you do? Anything special? If you don't ordinarily attend church, will you attend a church? How will you select it?

Do you observe Maundy Thursday? Good Friday? Attend a sunrise service? Where?

What is spiritually meaningful to you, that you'd like to share?
Easter egg hunt for the kids, horseshoes, a little baseball, and wrap up with a nice Dearborn Spiral cut ham, green bean casserole, assorted veggies and sweet potato pie...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 08:22 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't imagine that anyone in my family will get together for Easter once my mother is gone. Out of my six living siblings, I'm the only one that has any connection to Christianity. My two brothers who will be there for Easter dinner will be there because they have health issues and live with my mother. My daughter is not Christian, but comes to Easter dinner out of love and respect for my mom.

Traditions change.
Kind of sad. Since my parents have passed, we siblings no longer get together as a family. I do get with my wife's family as they always do the holiday dinner hosting and activities.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
I hang with good eggs.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:51 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Kind of sad. Since my parents have passed, we siblings no longer get together as a family. I do get with my wife's family as they always do the holiday dinner hosting and activities.
I think it began to dissipate after my dad died in 1999. In one of the last photos I have of him, it is Easter Sunday. He's wearing his navy blue pinstripe three-piece suit and carving the ham, smiling. He was always smiling. He died of a heart attack in October of that year.

The problem is also that we are getting older, too. My oldest sister's husband has MS and is now in a wheelchair, so they can't travel much. My second-oldest sister had a stroke a couple of years ago and walks with a cane. My older brother died at 51. My younger sister is OK but she has my mother's kidney disease and gets tired a lot. The brother after her was just diagnosed with heart failure at 51, and the youngest has a deteriorating spine.

As a matter of fact, I'm the fourth of the seven and I feel pretty damn good along with my oldest sister herself, but I'm starting to get nervous as 60 approaches, hehehe.

And 89-year-old Mom keeps going, so I will spend Easter with her.

We didn't procreate like my parents did--five of us each had one child, the last two had none. The cousins are close but none of them are Christian, and only two have kids, so I think that'll be it for Easter dinners in my family.

But...maybe they will form new traditions of rebirth and renewal. Who knows?

ETA: Just realized that's not quite accurate. My late brother's daughter is Catholic and raising her children Catholic. My brother was never Catholic and was in fact atheist, but the night before he died the priest giving last rites to the man in the next bed at the hospital offered the same with communion to my brother, and he took it. I think he did it for his daughter. A last act of comfort for her.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Coconut french toast, over easy eggs, bacon ...and keep the coffee coming!

Old 03-30-2018, 03:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Personal quiet reflection on the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and what that means to me. Personal quiet prayer of thanksgiving and petition for those suffering.

Afternoon dinner with family -- always a spiral sliced honey glazed ham with assorted side dishes. Coconut cake and carrot cake for dessert. Easter egg hunt for the children.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:11 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,130 times
- Since Jesus is not "the passover lamb of the Jews"
I don't honor Him as such on either calendar date of Jew or catholic.

- Moses served no Wine at Passover and Jesus served no lamb as His body.

Jesus gave the bread of The Feast Of Unleavened Bread void of puffed pride as His body.
And The Blood Of The Vine as His blood.

Which makes sense seeing "The House Of Israel Is The Vineyard Of The Lord."
Is it any wonder Jesus said, "I am the True Vine" for abiding in Him and not Israel?

As often as we do The Bread & The Wine as His blood and Body we are proclaiming His death till He comes in Remembrance of Him. He didn't say when you do this once a year at The Feast Of Unleavened Bread do this in remembrance of Me. So this ceremonial rendition is away from the Passover of the Jews with their Feast Of Unleavened Bread too. Jesus said, I am The Bread that comes down from heaven not as your fathers ate in the wilderness, either.

As a grain of Wheat falls to the ground and produces many so did He.

There are two Harvests that Jesus spoke of The Wheat Harvest & The Gape Harvest and He became both for their fulfilling . . . .

Old 03-30-2018, 08:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
With songs of praise and hymns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl1n...=RDj-czywU7xnM

Old 03-30-2018, 11:05 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,934 times
I worship my God in spirit and truth every day and every night.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 PM

911 posts, read 262,467 times
We dont do anything really.... Used to get a basket of goodies but nothing now.....

Just another day.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity