Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2018, 01:25 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,142 times

Advertisements

Meerkat has a lovely way with words, indeed.

The big difficulty with people who believe 'opposite' to ones self is that there is no convincing them, for all the right reasons - it is how it is meant to be. Just say what you have to say - the 'truth' as you perceive it, 'as if God is speaking', and leave it at that. The frustration of trying to convince someone is not a burden we are meant to bear - that is the spirit's job, and he bears witness to the truth - only knowing the truth exposes the lie. And the truth isn't manifested by getting hot under the collar.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:38 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I ponder it as well...why does this good news offend the fundies?
I have come up with three groups of people..
1) No empathy. It's that simple. Don't care. They are making it, too bad for the others. Sociopaths maybe.
2)Prodigal son's older brother syndrome. All the 'unsaved' are having fun, going to Vegas, boozing and dancing, fornication, all that stuff they are giving up...they make it to heaven too? I could be partying as well but don't. Not fair.
3)The religious and closed minded, modern day pharisees.
Nah i don't think it is any of that. My parents are very loving and care for others even though they believed in eternal torment. I think it all come down to what one is indoctrinated into and how much of a hold that indoctrination has on them.

I was lucking in one way, in that God showed me the salvation of all at a young age so the eternal torment doctrine never had much of a hold over me. However that doctrine did have a hold on my parents and the rest of my family. It took 30+ years of ministering to my family before they ALL came to see the salvation of all, i would gain one here and one there but it took a long time to break down that which they were indoctrinated into. So for myself, because of what I went through, I have compassion for those who are held in the bondage of the eternal torment doctrine as I have witnessed first hand just how hard it is for people to let go of that doctrine. All I can do is to just keep putting out the information and waiting on God to open the eyes of those who love Him and want to serve Him to the best of what they understand.

I trust in the living God who is the saviour of ALL MEN, specially of those that believe and because we are commanded to teach exactly that, that is what I will continue to teach.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Nah i don't think it is any of that. My parents are very loving and care for others even though they believed in eternal torment. I think it all come down to what one is indoctrinated into and how much of a hold that indoctrination has on them.

I was lucking in one way, in that God showed me the salvation of all at a young age so the eternal torment doctrine never had much of a hold over me. However that doctrine did have a hold on my parents and the rest of my family. It took 30+ years of ministering to my family before they ALL came to see the salvation of all, i would gain one here and one there but it took a long time to break down that which they were indoctrinated into. So for myself, because of what I went through, I have compassion for those who are held in the bondage of the eternal torment doctrine as I have witnessed first hand just how hard it is for people to let go of that doctrine. All I can do is to just keep putting out the information and waiting on God to open the eyes of those who love Him and want to serve Him to the best of what they understand.

I trust in the living God who is the saviour of ALL MEN, specially of those that believe and because we are commanded to teach exactly that, that is what I will continue to teach.
You are right, no logic will work, it will take the Spirit. I have to ask another troubling question though...where is the empathy? This is the most troubling part. Can anyone even comprehend what it would be like in hell, forever, (that's a looong time) without hope? Do they even grasp what this means?

Old 04-18-2018, 06:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The doctrine of eternal torment has nothing to do with the spirit as it is not loving, produces no joy, it has non of these qualities.
Neither does war, disease, famine and death, and yet they still exist in the world created by the almighty God.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Who ever said physical death made God a diabolic monster? It is part of the plan.
You call God a monster because of something you dont like in the Bible. So, I take it you don't call him a monster for letting you die a possibly very painful death?

Quote:
Jesus came to show us that the way to God was THROUGH DEATH.
No, He did not. He came to show us God was already among us, and is reaching out to us. He offers you life right now through faith.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Neither does war, disease, famine and death, and yet they still exist in the world created by the almighty God.
God did not create those things. Stop meditating on them.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
God did not create those things. Stop meditating on them.
God told us the penalty of sin is death. We sinned, and as a result we will die. He is telling us the same thing now, and people accuse Him of being a monster.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
God told us the penalty of sin is death. We sinned, and as a result we will die. He is telling us the same thing now, and people accuse Him of being a monster.
But I am come that they might have life.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:39 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:

Wrong, as a result you are living like God does not exist in your world
. Stop listening to that evangelical heart of yours. He came that we might have life in the here and now. The rivers of living water he referred to was the life in the here and now.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
Quote:
God not create those things, that is a huge difference. Why would you credit those things to God?.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity