Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 05:05 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You are my hero! We’ve telling them this for years. It nice to see an atheist calling them out for the same things traditional Christians see.
At least the 'Fundies' got something to work with as a foundation and try to use a methodology to arrive at and defend their points. These cats got their feet firmly planted in mid air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 05:08 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
How did you arrive at that conclusion about Jesus? This is not difficult. Stop squirming! This is like having letters about someone and the things said about them are then they are completely denied and ignored because you just don't 'feel' like that is what the person should be. Bro stop this nonsense! Conclusions are not always formed by bias. We are talking about linguistics here. And if this is a problem with bias then what does that do to your points? It renders them completely subjective and useless other than to you. Trying to convince others of your personal feeling about it is not an argument or helpful in knowing what is being said in these texts.

What kind of methodology is this? I can't not believe what I am experiencing on these threads. Complete rubbish!
I just told you feeling. Simple as that. You fundies, do not even think you are not all about feeling, you all say i felt led of the Lord, i felt his conviction and felt his presence.

For she was saying within herself, "If only I shall touch His garment, I will be healed."

They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man

The scriptures are full of feeling.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What makes you believe that the fundamentalists (including yourself) have it 100% correct, when word meaning has been changed over the centuries? Hell, you can research any dictionary and see that for yourself.

"Lets just add-another definition?"
100% not! Probably yes, because I have studied Greek and Linguistics for this very reason - hearing preachers contradict themselves citing 'Greek.'

I give you good contextual, grammatical, linguistic reasons why. I do not just say well God or the text would not say that - blah blah blah - because it does not feel right with me.

And I know how to evaluate such principles of language. There are exegetical principles that one can follow in order to reduce errors. Jeez, this aint hard if you have been around these issue on a level other than grabbing your Strong's Concordance and posting a quote.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:15 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I just told you feeling. Simple as that. You fundies, do not even think you are not all about feeling, you all say i felt led of the Lord, i felt his conviction and felt his presence.

For she was saying within herself, "If only I shall touch His garment, I will be healed."

They asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:

Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man

The scriptures are full of feeling.

Feelings have nothing to do with a methodology to understand what a text is saying. How this is not clear by now is beyond me.

7,530 posts, read 3,038,292 times
Shiloh1: we are honoured to have you with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You are my hero! We’ve telling them this for years. It nice to see an atheist calling them out for the same things traditional Christians see.
Hey try telling him what you believe and he will rip you a new arse, 100% guaranteed you will not be calling him your hero you hypocrite, you would be telling him how he hates God, and how awful atheists are. If i had to choose between an atheist and a fundy to reason with, it would be a no brainer what my choice would be

He is our example and Jesus went around touching lives. The reason you don't is because you are busy beating them with the bible telling them Jesus loves them, but will send them to hell iof they don't believe he loves them, and Shiloh says you have a foundation to build off lol. What is your foundation in life Shiloh?.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Quote:
100% not! Probably yes, because I have studied Greek and Linguistics for this very reason - hearing preachers contradict themselves citing 'Greek.'

I give you good contextual, grammatical, linguistic reasons why. I do not just say well God or the text would not say that - blah blah blah - because it does not feel right with me.

And I know how to evaluate such principles of language. There are exegetical principles that one can follow in order to reduce errors. Jeez, this aint hard if you have been around these issue on a level other than grabbing your Strong's Concordance and posting a quote.
Yet you cannot see that the action in 1 Timothy 2:4 is indicative. Nowhere is it subjunctive, or that of being contingent or probable, nor imperative on the subject’s response. Neither is it Optative, as in being unlikely or wishful thinking that mankind might come to this salvation and knowledge.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:20 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hey try telling him what you believe and he will rip you a new arse, 100% guaranteed you will not be calling him your hero you hypocrite, you would be telling him how he hates God, and how awful atheists are. If i had to choose between an atheist and a fundy to reason with, it would be a no brainer what my choice would be

He is our example and Jesus went around touching lives. The reason you don't is because you are busy beating them with the bible telling them Jesus loves them, but will send them to hell iof they don't believe he loves them, and Shiloh says you have a foundation to build off lol. What is your foundation in life Shiloh?.
My foundation is reality/truth based upon reason, logic, evidence, with a good dose of skepticism. It's all we got!

Old 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Feelings have nothing to do with a methodology to understand what a text is saying. How this is not clear by now is beyond me.
If the blatant obvious is hands down rejected then what do you think the outcome of a methodical examination is going to be?.

Ask a fundamentalist to show you what scriptures they use to believe they are saved from eternal hell, you would think Jesus of all people would have made something like that blatantly obvious, then his disciples go out and preach what Jesus taught them, and they somehow forgot to say in their preaching that salvation is salvation from hell, and you think methodical examination is going to change anything?. We all get comfortable in biased beliefs and hate to come out of them.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:32 PM

15,885 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
At least the 'Fundies' got something to work with as a foundation and try to use a methodology to arrive at and defend their points. These cats got their feet firmly planted in mid air.
I can see where the mid air people are coming from. I'm also a Yannite so there is that. I can see where the fundamentalists are coming from too but they seem stodgy to me. I see this as a creative thing and not so much a law thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity