Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:26 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,833,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You have a choice. You can believe in God’s Word or men’s lies. God asks for faith and to place trust in Him. Hell is real and a permanent reality for many.
Glad I don't believe like that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 12:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
You have a choice. You can believe in God’s Word or men’s lies. God asks for faith and to place trust in Him. Hell is real and a permanent reality for many.

If the bold is true, it is people exactly like you who will experience it.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:36 AM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If the bold is true, it is people exactly like you who will experience it.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 AM

995 posts, read 511,264 times
Thanks for the responses so far.

Some additional questions:

Those who believe you have to have "faith" in order to go to Heaven, what is the true meaning of said "faith?" How do you know if your faith is good enough to be saved? How about those who were "saved" as a child and have doubts as an adult? How much doubt does it take to negate this so-called "faith?" How does one obtain this ephemeral "faith" in order to meet the Biblical requirements of being saved? No one in my whole life has been able to answer this question to my satisfaction.

What really galls me is the idea of predestination - since God knows all, and knows what everyone who is born will do in their lives, he therefore knows that most of his children will send themselves right to Hell. Therefore, he and he alone is responsible for sending all those countless millions and billions to endless torment. How can anyone live with this idea and, furthermore, go out and preach it to others?

At least I can take comfort in knowing that what ~I~ believe (in terms of spiritual matters) is what counts - nothing else. I am my own God, and I get to make my own rules. Full stop. No amount of preaching will convince me otherwise.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:31 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,367,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

Those who believe you have to have "faith" in order to go to Heaven, what is the true meaning of said "faith?" How do you know if your faith is good enough to be saved? How about those who were "saved" as a child and have doubts as an adult? How much doubt does it take to negate this so-called "faith?" How does one obtain this ephemeral "faith" in order to meet the Biblical requirements of being saved? No one in my whole life has been able to answer this question to my satisfaction.

What really galls me is the idea of predestination - since God knows all, and knows what everyone who is born will do in their lives, he therefore knows that most of his children will send themselves right to Hell. Therefore, he and he alone is responsible for sending all those countless millions and billions to endless torment. How can anyone live with this idea and, furthermore, go out and preach it to others?

At least I can take comfort in knowing that what ~I~ believe (in terms of spiritual matters) is what counts - nothing else. I am my own God, and I get to make my own rules. Full stop. No amount of preaching will convince me otherwise.
Radical, there is something even more troubling than the teaching of ET and that is the callousness of those who believe in it. Where is their empathy, their burden for the lost? I haven't seen any indication from any of them that they are saddened by it.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's only as sticky as one allows. Who cares if someone thinks/hopes you are going to hell?! Their reality does not have to be yours.

As for the trip, if the aunts bring it up they are fair game.
It's not so much I care about what people think will (or will not) happen to me, it's what I care about the psychological harm inflicted upon countless people with this fear doctrine. There are an awful lot of converts who suffer years (if not a whole lifetime) of mental anguish due to the lack of certainly about their so-called "faith." Count me and my uncle among them. It sucks.

There's enough fear and anguish in the world already - let's not make it worse by instilling fear of a horrid afterlife.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Radical, there is something even more troubling than the teaching of ET and that is the callousness of those who believe in it. Where is their empathy, their burden for the lost? I haven't seen any indication from any of them that they are saddened by it.
Exactly. All they say is that "I'm right and you're wrong," everyone else be damned (quite literally!) Do they not care one tiny iota about all those countless people enduring the endless horror of their Hell?

SMH x 1000.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:55 AM

10,111 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Saddened by it? On the contrary, it seems like most of the people (some of whom post on C-D) who believe in eternal hell and torment almost enjoy repeating endlessly that other people will suffer for eternity. It never seems to occur to them that THEY could possibly be one of that number. They are absolutely sure that they are "saved" and have no worries. It's only "other" people who don't believe as they do who have to fear eternal torment. They may be shocked at who else turns up in glory with them.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,036,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Saddened by it? On the contrary, it seems like most of the people (some of whom post on C-D) who believe in eternal hell and torment almost enjoy repeating endlessly that other people will suffer for eternity. It never seems to occur to them that THEY could possibly be one of that number. They are absolutely sure that they are "saved" and have no worries. It's only "other" people who don't believe as they do who have to fear eternal torment. They may be shocked at who else turns up in glory with them.
Shocked with a capital S.!

Methinks some of these rascally rascals need to head to the nearest mountain for a transformation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOsVeZzT94

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/rebirth-of-the-eagle/

Old 05-30-2018, 07:03 AM

1,183 posts, read 538,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post

It sounds lie You didn’t come here to ask a theological question but to express your approval of universalism.

Blaming God for eternal torment is like blaming gravity for someone jumping off the building. It is YOU that is consigning yourself to hell. You are making to choice to reject God. So, we should stop making the false accusations about God and His true followers.

The Bible clear and to the point about how the Lord offers a free gift of life to mankind. You don’t need to work or earn it. In order to accept it you need to put your faith in Jesus and turn away from sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity