Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:47 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,097 times

Advertisements

Questions

1. What is the lake of fire?

2. What is brimstone in relation to the lake?

3. How does our God who IS fire relate to the lake?

4. Is hell synonymous with the lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 07:47 PM

435 posts, read 250,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Questions

1. What is the lake of fire?

2. What is brimstone in relation to the lake?

3. How does our God who IS fire relate to the lake?

4. Is hell synonymous with the lake?
1. Revelation 20:14 says, as per Young's Literal Translation, "and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire -- this is the second death;"

2. Revelation 20:10 refers to a lake of fire & sulphur(or brimstone, as some versions have it). Brimstone was sent by God as a judgement upon Sodom.

3. I don't know. Though Scripture calls God a consuming fire (Heb.12:29). In Revelation people are cast into the lake of fire, which is generally thought to be done according to God's will & power.

4. The KJV translates several different Greek/Hebrew words as "hell", such as Hades, Gehenna & Tartarus. Many people equate Gehenna with the lake of fire. The twentieth chapter of Revelation speaks of both Hades & the lake of fire. Apparently they are not the same. In the parable of Lk.16:19-31 the rich man died & then he was in Hades.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
1. Revelation 20:14 says, as per Young's Literal Translation, "and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire -- this is the second death;"

2. Revelation 20:10 refers to a lake of fire & sulphur(or brimstone, as some versions have it). Brimstone was sent by God as a judgement upon Sodom.
Hi there Clement and thank you for your post. Brimstone, or suphur, is theion. And I will bet, on my partners life, you will never guess what theion is rooted in? Did you say Theos? Surely you jest: the lake of fire and theion is the Lake burning with the divine incense of Theos. My friend, and the translator of the Jonathan Mitchell N.T. translates Rev. 21:8 thus:>>>>>

“But for the timid (cowardly) ones and for faithless ones (unbelieving ones) and for abominable ones (detestable ones) and for murderers, and for prostitutes and for sorcerers (enchanters; users of drugs) and for idolaters and for all the liars (the false ones): their portion [of the inheritance?] [is] within the lake continuously burning with Fire and Deity, which is the Second Death.”

We will pursue this a little later. You are aware of the mighty man of God, George MacDonald, he penned 30 Unspoken Sermons among zillions of other things. If you can print out a copy of the "Consuming Fire", and read it in entirety, you will find something that fell into my silly heart before being drawn to it. In one of the most overwhelming experiences of my life, I heard six words that changed the direction of my thinking forever. I rejoice that the Consuming Fire, ( written many moons before), came 10 years after my experience with the six (6) words. I realized in that wonderful moment God still speaks from the Glory!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,658 times
The idea of universalism saying that hell is temporal and in the end everyone is granted entry into heaven seem innocent. Yet it is considered apostasy by most mainline Churches. Many feel that the concept is wicked and is the doctrine of demons.

Think for one second. No eternal hell means no need for repentance of your transgressions. No turning away from sin and you will never have a relationship with Christ. No relationship with the Lord will not gain faith. If no faith there is no reason to know God.

So with universalism, you end up with the masses that do not turn away from sin, have no faith in the Lord, and don't even know who Jesus is. Now what does Satan desire the most? Universalism.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
The idea of universalism saying that hell is temporal and in the end everyone is granted entry into heaven seem innocent. Yet it is considered apostasy by most mainline Churches. Many feel that the concept is wicked and is the doctrine of demons.
I hope you don't turn the corner and break your neck, because believing the doctrine of Eternal Damnation is vile?

Quote:
Think for one second. No eternal hell means no need for repentance of your transgressions. No turning away from sin and you will never have a relationship with Christ. No relationship with the Lord will not gain faith. If no faith there is no reason to know God.
You don't need to be threatened to change things for the better, or to reach out to others with loving-kindness.

Quote:
So with universalism, you end up with the masses that do not turn away from sin, have no faith in the Lord, and don't even know who Jesus is. Now what does Satan desire the most? Universalism.
I believe you have already been consumed, as you tremble in fear to work out your own salvation.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Well, how about we think, for a minute, just about those who "don't even know who Jesus is." How fair it is that they end up in this Lake of Fire when they apparently didn't even have a chance?

Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 PM

1,183 posts, read 536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, how about we think, for a minute, just about those who "don't even know who Jesus is." How fair it is that they end up in this Lake of Fire when they apparently didn't even have a chance?
Who says they are going to hell? It is not our responsibility to assign people to damnation. As a Christian It is our assignment to speak God’s Truth.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:52 PM

435 posts, read 250,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
You are aware of the mighty man of God, George MacDonald, he penned 30 Unspoken Sermons among zillions of other things. If you can print out a copy of the "Consuming Fire", and read it in entirety, you will find something that fell into my silly heart before being drawn to it. In one of the most overwhelming experiences of my life, I heard six words that changed the direction of my thinking forever. I rejoice that the Consuming Fire, ( written many moons before), came 10 years after my experience with the six (6) words. I realized in that wonderful moment God still speaks from the Glory!
Rose, I am aware of him, though only in the past few years, from another forum i frequent, where he is not rarely referred to. Sadly, if i hadn't wasted so many years in sin, i could have used that time to read George's works, but have read precious little to date. The "Consuming Fire" was recommended to me once before, so perhaps i should take the hint

Evidently you've had some awe-inspiring Damascus Road type of experiences. The type that define people's lives. And that all will be blessed with, sooner or later. Though perhaps in light of Mt.7:6 many people would be reluctant to elaborate on a public forum.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:

You appear to think "mainline churches" have done an excellent job in bringing the masses into a relationship with the Most High God. I fear you are unaware the masses continue to know precious little of Him. Today 99.9% are lost in various degrees, and some of the lostest of the lost dwell in churches who think our Father loses remnants of fish and bread when King Jesus proclaims>>>>>>>>>>>

"Gather up the fragments that remain that nothing be lost."

Come on S.T. give us a break!

Old 06-18-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
Rose, I am aware of him, though only in the past few years, from another forum i frequent, where he is not rarely referred to. Sadly, if i hadn't wasted so many years in sin, i could have used that time to read George's works, but have read precious little to date. The "Consuming Fire" was recommended to me once before, so perhaps i should take the hint

Evidently you've had some awe-inspiring Damascus Road type of experiences. The type that define people's lives. And that all will be blessed with, sooner or later. Though perhaps in light of Mt.7:6 many people would be reluctant to elaborate on a public forum.
I have been unable to find the 30 Unspoken Sermons of George MacDonald on line anymore, and perhaps that is good; but I find him to be one who has walked in the glory of His Presence. I am not even sure if the Lord will allow me to continue with an experience that is not for mass consumption! I did have an experience that shook me to the very core, making it impossible to eat for days, and making life in general so hum drum! Perhaps the experience was "like" what transpired in a man who came face to face with the Glory One, but only in very limited scope! I hate sin in me, and every last vestige of that nature shall be changed! Our God, the consuming Fire, guarantees it....no more yet sin and sorrow grow, nor thorns infest the ground, He comes to make His blessings flow far as the curse is found, far as the curse is found."

I am sitting here thinking I will not be able to continue this link, there are things in Him which cannot be discussed on forums, and require each of us the terrible need to hear the Sound of Heaven! We shall see, in the meantime may He lift each of us into the freshness of His Presence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity