Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:04 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article on the population of the Earth. Simple stats do support the biblical timeline.

‘Evolutionists claim that mankind evolved from apes about a million years ago. If the population had grown at just 0.01% per year since then (doubling only every 7,000 years), there could be 10 to 43rd power people today—that’s a number with 43 zeros after it. ‘

I also find it interesting about the calculation for the population growth of the Jewish people since its origin (Jacob). It has a .44% growth rate per year. This can be easily tracked. The Flood was roughly 4500 years ago and earth population would have grown .45% a year to reach today’s population. The numbers are very similar and be hard to explain away as just a simple coincidence.

https://creation.com/where-are-all-the-people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 09:07 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Creation.com: Where lies pose as truth for the simple-minded.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:23 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Very interesting article on the population of the Earth. Simple stats do support the biblical timeline.

‘Evolutionists claim that mankind evolved from apes about a million years ago. If the population had grown at just 0.01% per year since then (doubling only every 7,000 years), there could be 10 to 43rd power people today—that’s a number with 43 zeros after it. ‘

I also find it interesting about the calculation for the population growth of the Jewish people since its origin (Jacob). It has a .44% growth rate per year. This can be easily tracked. The Flood was roughly 4500 years ago and earth population would have grown .45% a year to reach today’s population. The numbers are very similar and be hard to explain away as just a simple coincidence.

While evolution is more or less off limits on this forum, because for one reason, most Christians on this forum don't know much about evolution (the statement above is an example of that), it is allowed to make a brief correction to inaccurate statements. With that in mind, evolutionary theory does not state that man evolved from apes, but that man, gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans all descended from a common ancestor. Having made that correction I will leave it at that.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 AM

175 posts, read 75,723 times
Young Earth Creationism is simply absurd and an embarrassment to Christianity. I just finished a book by a respected astronomy professor (STAR STRUCK: SEEING THE CREATOR IN THE WONDERS OF THE COSMOS by David Hart Bradstreet) who is a deeply committed Christian but is dismayed by the damage being done by Young Earth Creationism. The arguments for Young Earth Creationism are almost the definition of grasping at straws, very similar to the arguments for a flat earth. The added absurdity is that there is nothing in the Bible requiring a Young Earth interpretation unless you accept Bishop Usher's generation-counting approach from the 17th century. There is nothing more godly about Young Earth Creationism than Old Earth Creationism.

I am, however, a creationist in the sense that all Christians are creationists. I believe that God created the universe and that God created humans as a special act of creation. I'm not a scientist (unless you consider high school math teachers scientists), but I am pretty widely read in evolutionary theory (and, of course, Intelligent Design). I suspected at a gut level that evolutionary theory was deeply flawed long before I knew as much as I do now. The flaws in the theory are increasingly apparent within the scientific community, and the efforts to prop up the theory are likewise almost the definition of grasping at straws. It's a paradigm going through the sort of death throes that Thomas Kuhn described in THE STRUCTURE OF SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTIONS. One particularly fruitful area among many is the modeling which suggests that the roughly 3.5 billion years over which evolution supposedly occurred on earth aren't even close to enough time for what is supposed to have occurred to actually have occurred. The roughly 14.5 billion years since the universe was created aren't even close to enough time.

But I too will say no more since Young Earth Creationism and evolutionary theory are two topics that simply can't be debated in a rational or civil manner, even among Christians.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Commenting on the flood story since the OP mentioned it, the geological record simply does not support a global flood. I believe that the Biblical flood, as well as the other flood stories of the ANE, is based on an actual flood, perhaps the Black Sea flood, which while massive, was still just a regional flood. The Biblical flood story was a polemic against the other ANE flood accounts and intentionally uses hyperbolic language to present a regional cataclysmic flood as a global flood for rhetorical purposes and theological reasons.

For instance, the flood was not the result of the Sumero-Akkadian god Apsu wanting to destroy man because man was making so much noise that he couldn't sleep as in the Mesopotamian Epic Creation Story, but because of the Biblically stated reason of the evil in the world.

The Biblical flood account conveys a theological message that is independent of an actual historical global flood.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-28-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 07-28-2018, 01:11 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Young Earth Creationism is simply absurd and an embarrassment to Christianity. I just finished a book by a respected astronomy professor (STAR STRUCK: SEEING THE CREATOR IN THE WONDERS OF THE COSMOS by David Hart Bradstreet) who is a deeply committed Christian but is dismayed by the damage being done by Young Earth Creationism. The arguments for Young Earth Creationism are almost the definition of grasping at straws, very similar to the arguments for a flat earth. The added absurdity is that there is nothing in the Bible requiring a Young Earth interpretation unless you accept Bishop Usher's generation-counting approach from the 17th century. There is nothing more godly about Young Earth Creationism than Old Earth Creationism.

I am, however, a creationist in the sense that all Christians are creationists. I believe that God created the universe and that God created humans as a special act of creation. I'm not a scientist (unless you consider high school math teachers scientists), but I am pretty widely read in evolutionary theory (and, of course, Intelligent Design). I suspected at a gut level that evolutionary theory was deeply flawed long before I knew as much as I do now. The flaws in the theory are increasingly apparent within the scientific community, and the efforts to prop up the theory are likewise almost the definition of grasping at straws. It's a paradigm going through the sort of death throes that Thomas Kuhn described in THE STRUCTURE OF SCIENTIFIC REVOLUTIONS. One particularly fruitful area among many is the modeling which suggests that the roughly 3.5 billion years over which evolution supposedly occurred on earth aren't even close to enough time for what is supposed to have occurred to actually have occurred. The roughly 14.5 billion years since the universe was created aren't even close to enough time.

But I too will say no more since Young Earth Creationism and evolutionary theory are two topics that simply can't be debated in a rational or civil manner, even among Christians.

I noticed that you didn’t even address the topic or article

Old 07-28-2018, 01:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
I noticed that you didn’t even address the topic or article

Maybe because it's too stupid to be worth consideration.

Old 07-28-2018, 01:37 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
While evolution is more or less off limits on this forum, because for one reason, most Christians on this forum don't know much about evolution (the statement above is an example of that), it is allowed to make a brief correction to inaccurate statements. With that in mind, evolutionary theory does not state that man evolved from apes, but that man, gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans all descended from a common ancestor. Having made that correction I will leave it at that.
The lemur...

Old 07-28-2018, 02:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
Quote:

Have you factored in the deaths from wars, diseases or natural causes, etc., etc.
People are earning more, but when inflation is factored in, that changes things.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:03 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
If you look at the estimated population over time it has been relatively flat until a few centuries ago. The Black Death for example wiped out at least one quarter of the population of Europe, smallpox decimated First Nations people and so forth. The OP must be ignoring infant mortality, death while bearing a child, diseases for which we now have treatments or vacines, plagues and starvations, wars in which men were more expendible, lack of sanatation or dental care and almost everything that exists that makes our lives healthier and safer. Oh how about improvements in agriculture as well as food storage abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity