Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure, and guess what? He shared the Gospel with them. He was not ashamed to talk about it, or afraid of offending them with the truth.
The only ones being offended were the religious establishment, because he was nothing how they had God down to be. You can't be merciful to those we look down upon to be sinners, you can't heal on our sabbath, you can't call us white washed tombs, you can't eat with those we look down to be sinners, you can't go around doing all the wonderful things you are doing unless it is under our authority, the messiah we believe is coming is going to destroy our enemies not love them. Do you get my drift ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
...The good news has got nothing to do with us being fallen short
of the glory of God
and having to believe something to escape that myth of eternal hell ...
but everything to do with one who never did fall short of that glory who demonstrated God's heart
towards us perfectly ...
You really get it.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You really get it.
And yet you refuse to share it with your neighbors.,,,

Old 08-13-2018, 09:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Oh, ok, Thanks for sharing. Very kind of you, as always

Thank you. Very kind

Quoth Mr. Twister.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
And yet you refuse to share it with your neighbors.,,,
Finn....it's not a refusal. Hahaha...you're funny, you're really hung up on my neighbors! LOL....Let's see, we have fear, guilt, now trying the shaming tactic.
What will be next...I know the Holy Spirit uses love and kindness to guide people ...wanna try that?
I'm serious...wanna try that?

* And Mike wants me to be more serious, see I'm trying!

Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Oh give over, the only thing Jesus ever said that offended was when he was talking about eating his flesh and drinking his blood, even his own disciples, were like what the heck when he said this, if you were present there when he said you too would have had you knickers in a twist There is nothing offensive about the good news at all, if it was offensive it would not be good news. You should listen to what you are saying The good news has got nothing to do with us being fallen short of the glory of God and having to believe something to escape that myth of eternal hell you believe in, but everything to do with one who never did fall short of that glory who demonstrated God's heart towards us perfectly and in seeing you are loved in such manner, can be all that God intended us to be....... Living by his glory.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Let’s look at that passage.

17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting people’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin[b] for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

It does not apply to everyone automatically. That’s why Paul (and Jesus) tells us to share the good news. Want further proof? Read Jesus’ words in John 3. Without belief (faith), one remains under condemnation. Hence, the need to warn people.
I have never claimed that salvation is automatic. It's all in God's timing and order. In fact, I do believe that we are to "work out our own salvation" as the scripture says -- not sure about the with fear and trembling part.

I have also said many times that God will judge ALL. You will be judged just the same as the next person. However, if you teach that salvation is about "not being sent to hell" - that's just wrong. Salvation is new every morning - God's grace is ever reaching out to all. However, there are deceptions in people's minds that can lead them into misery and a hellish mental existence. That is because of the spirit of anti-Christ in the world. If you have the wrong image of God, you are not "saved". Jesus said that people would call light darkness and put darkness for light. Eternal torment is a very dark doctrine, clearly one of demons and those who hold to it cannot lead anyone to Christ because you cannot hold two opposing views about God in your mind at the same time without turning to cognitive dissonance. Some people are better at this because they have calloused, hardened hearts. I know I cannot form a person's heart -- that is God's business so perhaps God intended for some to harden their hearts to his great mercy and pretend to know him when they do not.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
Quote:
Then I suggest you stop preaching out of fear.

Love is the only thing that would ever motivate me to share Christ with anyone. You are the one preaching a gospel of fear and dread rather than proclaiming the good news that shall be unto all people.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:30 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

Love is the only thing that would ever motivate me to share Christ with anyone. You are the one preaching a gospel of fear and dread rather than proclaiming the good news that shall be unto all people.
"When you're in love, everybody knows. " I'd give you the link RainMusic, but I'm on my IPad and cannot.

The lead singer is Merrilou Lucas and the short video presentation is on YouTube. Several versions, but I like the one where she sings in church with a trio of ladies providing harmony.

Finn doesn't have a love relationship with Jesus. Most every post of his is about a legal relationship to the Bible.

Except for his next one, which will be a snarky remark about me! Thank you, Jesus!

Old 08-13-2018, 11:55 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
typosNo, and no one said that ...

They are neighbors you live by for 30 years or more...not exactly friends, per se..
If anyone speaks about God, church, dogma, Krishna, salvation, Wicca to someone that does not want to hear
it.. it's rude, pushy and like talking to a politician in front of your Do Not Disturb sign. Unwanted.

Clients that love me and ask me about my life, and I know are Christians, even a little, I tell them all sorts of things,
you can't shut me up (after I ask, ' Is it alright I talk about this stuff?') and then they come to me with questions to help them at work or something.

Many have no clue, "How exactly do I give my burdens to God? Cuz I gotta problem!"

Point is, know your audience...speak to those that are receptive and don't go over board, cuz
you live next to them and ya don't want them running from you.
I've heard stories about them staying inside cuz so and so is weeding..she 'talks their ear off'.
They don't hide from me; they walk over when they see me and have nice chats.
If I say something about God it's because they are ok with it and KNOW after 20 yrs that's all it will be:
a mention of some gratitude.

Anyone here been talking with their neighbors about eternal torment and torture in hell, and all the adulterers around,
suggesting they go to your great church, by any chance?
How'd ya do?
Miss Hepburn, I don't always have the same grasp of the spiritual world that you do, but I'm able to see that you have the coat tails of Jesus.

Personal testimony: The first person I ever lead to Jesus I didn't know very well. I had not been witnessing to him, but he had watched me as I tried to deal fairly among the three ethnic groups in our oversized MC platoon on Okinawa (they were always involved in some racial squabble). He may have overheard me witness to one of the other Marines. I'm not sure. Yet out of the blue he asks me one evening about how to know Christ. I'd prayed for three years for the opportunity to do just that with someone. And it happened with no conscious plan on my part and with someone I had basically overlooked among 70 guys in our unit.

One may certainly "talk" their faith, but it is in dealing fairly and with integrity while giving God the glory that our "works" give voice to our faith for others to hear.

It also worked (not the way I wanted), with a girl I dated in college. Out of the blue she asked me how she could be sure she was a Christian. We sat in a car outside her dormitory, not doing anything that I had in mind but she went into her dormitory a brand new soul in Christ. Uh, that ended our dating, however.

I ended up marrying a preacher's daughter at the same college---and that's where God began beating a little humility into me!

Your a good woman, Miss Hepburn. Stay the course and don't let the Bible lawyers get in front of YOUR witness, your joy, nor your ability to find God beyond the sacred page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity