Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 03:48 AM

296 posts, read 571,192 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Since the year 2008 I have been really struggling with many things in my life. I am a Christian man with a great wife and two great daughters. I am far from perfect though. I do occasionally drink and have visited gentleman clubs in the past. Like I said, I am not perfect. Since 2008 I have had numerous things occur in my life where I think God is punishing me for my sins. I don't know if this is correct or I am not thinking and living the right way. I have lost four jobs during this time frame. My wife and I paid for a wedding for our youngest daughter two years ago and now she is in the process of getting divorced and admitted to us that she is gay. The wedding set us back financially and we are still making payments for the wedding. Over 50k for the wedding. My oldest daughter had a baby out of wedlock and the father is so disconnected from our granddaughter that it makes me ill. My career has taken a tumble to the point where I have no life. I work 75 hours a week including Sunday. I have no quality of life right now. I had knee surgery back in 2008 and the company I worked for felt they didn't need me after twenty years when I returned from the surgery. I loved working for the company but they had financial issues and I was laid off one month after returning. With each struggle in my life, I would turn to sin. Then things would get even worse and I would sin even more. It has been a constant struggle where I have actually become distanced from God. I am so frustrated and down about every thing going wrong but I refuse to let my wife and children see it. I stay quiet and keep working and I don't complain. I just feel so depressed and down all the time with what has happened to me in recent years. I am 54 years old. I feel so defeated to even look for another job as every company I have worked for since I left the one I enjoyed working for has had either financial trouble or were in the process of selling the company. The company I work for now is ok but I have not received an increase since I started working for them 4 years ago. The hours are killing me and my time with my family though. I work 6 days a week, 10 months out of the year. I constantly read the scripture Jeremiah 29.11 where God has a plan for my life. I know this cant be it. What am I doing wrong? Is prior sin harming me? What can I do? Please give me any suggestions and advice that you have. I will appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 04:39 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
God gives you free will and acts like a Richard cranium if you use it. Punishes you with a gay children.

Got any boils and have any of your live stock been mysteriously slaughtered in the field?

Your name isn’t Job is it?

Nice god you worship.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
The word "luck" is not in the Bible. I don't believe even the concept of luck is there either.
You can be the best Christian parent in the world, and there's no guarantee that your children will follow.
But the fact that you turned to sin instead of God in times of trouble is a red flag. What will you do when you have to face death. I'd start reading your Bible and visit your pastor.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:35 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,163 times
Visit your local church of Christ and tell a minister there the same thing you have told us. Ask him about God's plan for you

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Nothing you do can influence God's behavior/decisions/actions. Get over that, number one.

Number two--paragraphs. One of the things you are doing wrong is not breaking your text into paragraphs. Half the people who see that mess up there are going to glaze over and move on without reading it.

Number three--Consider that what you see as bad luck are really things presented to you as a means of growth. Take them and use them. It is not a bad thing that your daughter is able to come out with her true self and release her husband from a sham marriage. It is not a bad thing that you have a grandchild in your life regardless of what the father does or doesn't do. You can't control him. You can only control your own reaction.

As for the work issue, that sounds tough, but right now you do have gainful employment. Instead of rooting around in the Bible looking for clues, try something else. Put your desire for a change "out there" and let it go and wait for an answer. Meanwhile, keep doing what you're doing.

Do you see? Change your perception and your outlook, and things might change for you.

So, are gentleman's clubs places where men sit around behaving exceedingly politely to one another? :P I love that euphemism. One of the silliest ever invented.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
...snip... With each struggle in my life, I would turn to sin. Then things would get even worse and I would sin even more. ...snip...

I smell alcohol on your post's breath. Drinking makes every problem worse. Stop "sinning" and your life will improve.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,387,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nothing you do can influence God's behavior/decisions/actions. Get over that, number one.

Number two--paragraphs. One of the things you are doing wrong is not breaking your text into paragraphs. Half the people who see that mess up there are going to glaze over and move on without reading it.

Number three--Consider that what you see as bad luck are really things presented to you as a means of growth. Take them and use them. It is not a bad thing that your daughter is able to come out with her true self and release her husband from a sham marriage. It is not a bad thing that you have a grandchild in your life regardless of what the father does or doesn't do. You can't control him. You can only control your own reaction.

As for the work issue, that sounds tough, but right now you do have gainful employment. Instead of rooting around in the Bible looking for clues, try something else. Put your desire for a change "out there" and let it go and wait for an answer. Meanwhile, keep doing what you're doing.

Do you see? Change your perception and your outlook, and things might change for you.

So, are gentleman's clubs places where men sit around behaving exceedingly politely to one another? :P I love that euphemism. One of the silliest ever invented.
Excellent (including the suggestion about paragraph breaks ).

OP, perspective is everything. MQ gave you some great suggestions for how to reframe how you are looking at things in your life. Those of us who tend toward a depressive way of seeing things have to make the effort to train our brain toward a different mindset. Find help doing so, if you need to. There are books and websites galore that can assist you. Google how to think positively. Here's one to start:

https://www.success.com/7-practical-...itive-mindset/

And be patient with yourself. Like any change, it takes time.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:34 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I smell alcohol on your post's breath. Drinking makes every problem worse. Stop "sinning" and your life will improve.
".... I do occasionally drink..."

No sin there. Jesus turned water into wine, so enjoy (in moderation)

Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Well, one way to find out is change your ways! Forget about the past, become a sincerely
devout person! Believing good comes to those that believe and love God...
See, what happens.

Oh, and yes on the paragraphs.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:40 AM

45,573 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The word "luck" is not in the Bible. I don't believe even the concept of luck is there either.
You can be the best Christian parent in the world, and there's no guarantee that your children will follow.
But the fact that you turned to sin instead of God in times of trouble is a red flag. What will you do when you have to face death. I'd start reading your Bible and visit your pastor.
This is on target. There is no such thing s luck.

Job was one who had a great life, and without any sin on his own - his life was turned upside down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Hello,
Since the year 2008 I have been really struggling with many things in my life. I am a Christian man with a great wife and two great daughters. I am far from perfect though. I do occasionally drink and have visited gentleman clubs in the past. Like I said, I am not perfect. Since 2008 I have had numerous things occur in my life where I think God is punishing me for my sins. I don't know if this is correct or I am not thinking and living the right way. I have lost four jobs during this time frame. My wife and I paid for a wedding for our youngest daughter two years ago and now she is in the process of getting divorced and admitted to us that she is gay. The wedding set us back financially and we are still making payments for the wedding. Over 50k for the wedding. My oldest daughter had a baby out of wedlock and the father is so disconnected from our granddaughter that it makes me ill. My career has taken a tumble to the point where I have no life. I work 75 hours a week including Sunday. I have no quality of life right now. I had knee surgery back in 2008 and the company I worked for felt they didn't need me after twenty years when I returned from the surgery. I loved working for the company but they had financial issues and I was laid off one month after returning. With each struggle in my life, I would turn to sin. Then things would get even worse and I would sin even more. It has been a constant struggle where I have actually become distanced from God. I am so frustrated and down about every thing going wrong but I refuse to let my wife and children see it. I stay quiet and keep working and I don't complain. I just feel so depressed and down all the time with what has happened to me in recent years. I am 54 years old. I feel so defeated to even look for another job as every company I have worked for since I left the one I enjoyed working for has had either financial trouble or were in the process of selling the company. The company I work for now is ok but I have not received an increase since I started working for them 4 years ago. The hours are killing me and my time with my family though. I work 6 days a week, 10 months out of the year. I constantly read the scripture Jeremiah 29.11 where God has a plan for my life. I know this cant be it. What am I doing wrong? Is prior sin harming me? What can I do? Please give me any suggestions and advice that you have. I will appreciate your help.
You need an outlet to get what's on the inside out. Your wife may be a good option - even though you may not what to dump the truck on her. You have to decide what's best there.

Jesus wants His children to always turn to him. Relate to Him daily... prayer, reading the Bible, meditation... whatever works.

If you know you are in sin, start working towards eliminating as much as possible. Every time you are convicted of sin, thank God for sending His Son to die for you sins and repent as change course and get help from others if necessary.

You will be surprised what God can do if you give him a chance. And even if He doesn't change your circumstances - he can give you peace through the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity