Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
Jesus was brilliant at making demonstrations to make a point. No one mourned the fig tree, its a tree.

By the way, I am not a Christian, but I am Christian and Buddhist simpatico in some ways.
the other obvious point captain, is it was done in ANGER and Jesus KNEW the tree would have no FRUIT because it was not TIME,so in essence, Jesus DESTROYED the tree for doing what it was CREATED to do..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 09:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
read some? if that ain't the quintessential evangelical response? roflmao...

No, I just refuse to accept the idea that god is allowed to do whatever she wants without cause or justification just because. she is god.
You know I'm not Christian, right?
And as Pleroo pointed out ...Jesus might not have even done that fig tree thing! Who the hell knows!

I said, 'ok', to you if you want to keep thinking something (anything, even about your mailman)
and hang onto it...(this thread is on forgiveness, not Jesus).
My point was when there are ways to view the thing differently, thus, get rid of a bad feeling about something...that is a better way....to our overall well-being, I mean.
There's nothing more I can say ,tho...cuz you refuse. That's your prerogative and I can drop it.

I do not like that feeling of being mad at my mailman or having weird ideas about him (cuz I have, and then talked to him)...we hug all the time now....(He has done really bad things with all our block's mail
consistently over the years! oh my!)
Jesus, mailman or mechanic...doesn't matter...I think it's best to get the entire story, rather than harbor
icky feelings or ideas about them....so sue me!

*And pls never refer to me as an evangelical....or a fundie or anything like that....
not that you did exactly.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:08 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
the other obvious point captain, is it was done in ANGER and Jesus KNEW the tree would have no FRUIT because it was not TIME,so in essence, Jesus DESTROYED the tree for doing what it was CREATED to do..
It obviously then had some greater meaning to it. Why go to a tree and look for fruit on it knowing it was not even the season for it?.I honestly believe it symbolizes an old system and its total rejection of it. In the Spirit there are no seasons, there is not a season to bear the fruits of the Spirit and another season where were like, you know what i just don't fancy this fruit bearing lark at the minute i will just ignore living in Harmony with our heavenly Father and living by right action. Jesus came to show us how to always be in season

His delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

There is a law of the Spirit that when understood and put to work keeps us being fruitful.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Oh, as I understood it that was part of the example he was making ...it actually was not doing what it was supposed to do....
that was the point!
That tree in that region has fruit before leaves, many don't know this , thank you google ....this one was screwed up.
No anger...was there? He was using it as a teaching point.

This is not a story I ever cared about so I never retained much
of what I read about it...but I know a little.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
surely He was, but the point is also that He knew the tree was not in season and yet He destroyed it?
The fact that the tree already had leaves on it even though it was at a higher elevation around Jerusalem, and therefore would have been outside the normal season for figs, would have seemed to be a good indication that there would also be fruit on it.

https://www.gotquestions.org/curse-fig-tree.html

Old 11-02-2018, 09:21 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of [a]the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12
It's good to remember this verse. Satan uses our weaknesses to cause chaos and confusion to pull us all away from God.

The best example of forgiveness I've seen:
My friend's son was murdered at work by a stranger who broke in. The murderer was tried and given the death penalty. My friend and his wife went to the prison and forgave him. Years later they went to his execution and were the only ones there. His family didn't even attend.

You can forgive in person or if that would be dangerous or cause more trouble, you can write a letter and read it out loud to a chair, just get the bitterness out of your heart. You don't have to continue a relationship with someone who wronged you, but you do need to move on.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:31 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The fact that the tree already had leaves on it even though it was at a higher elevation around Jerusalem, and therefore would have been outside the normal season for figs, would have seemed to be a good indication that there would also be fruit on it.

You and got questions The tree was barren, and there is no escaping the fact that was the state of Jerusalem.

Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You and got questions The tree was barren, and there is no escaping the fact that was the state of Jerusalem.

Then he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any.
There isn't much fruit on a barren tree and a tree that hasn't been properly pruned for several years poses challenges. One of the biggest loses of fruit is when love has grown cold. And we know that All flowers must be pollinated in order to form fruit consistently from the Spirit to the flesh.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:24 PM

Jerwade good one.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:15 AM

118 posts, read 66,070 times
Quote:
and you do not think that evangelicals would love to impose similar laws here in Amerikkka?

That is why I pray that the evangelical's interpretation of god's will NEVER be done here on earth as it is in their convoluted mushroom minds.

It has become clear in the Trump era, that the Evangelical movement is a political movement, disguised as spiritual. They have sold out their morality for worldly power and influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity