Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times

Advertisements

Heard another story about a firm that will freeze and store your body after death.
Some are calling it the ultimate lottery ticket, believing that there is a possibility one couuld be "thawed" 4,000 years from now.
Assuming there is validity to the claim ( big assumption I know ), what would happen to the persons Soul?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 01:22 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,286,690 times
The only truly "frozen souls" that June is aware of are the ones that exist within human beings who are unable, incapable, of accessing on their own, within themselves...

Take gentle care.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:22 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
The only truly "frozen souls" that June is aware of are the ones that exist within human beings who are unable, incapable, of accessing on their own, within themselves...

Take gentle care.

I don't get it

( PS: I'm hosting a suprise party at my home this evening, and Mrs. Oakback gets upset if I'm diverted from my setup duties too long, so I'm jumping in and out of the forum )

Old 04-05-2008, 03:24 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,501,944 times
well assuming that the soul leaves the body immediately upon death no matter what is done with the body: ie. burial or cremation,
then i would think that it would just be a body. maybe it will never be thawed and would be used for scientific study at the time of thawing.
ever see that movie "iceman" from the early 80's. i dont think that can ever happen.
i also dont think the soul would come back to reinhabit the same body.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:27 PM

14,900 posts, read 17,191,188 times
Quote:
Heard another story about a firm that will freeze and store your body after death.
Some are calling it the ultimate lottery ticket, believing that there is a possibility one couuld be "thawed" 4,000 years from now.
Assuming there is validity to the claim ( big assumption I know ), what would happen to the persons Soul?
Hi, I believe that the scriptures teach that the soul is dead when the body dies so if the body can be unthawed, it will still be dead until God resurrects the person (body and soul) and the person comes back to life. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 04-05-2008 at 04:06 PM..

Old 04-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, I believe that the scriptures teach that the soul is dead when the body dies so if the body can be unthawed, it will still be dead God resurrects the person (body and soul) and the person comes back to life. God bless.
where does it say that the soul dies with the body? i was always taught that the soul goes to heaven hell or pergatory...just curious--maybe you could point something out

Old 04-05-2008, 03:41 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,944,357 times
My opinion is that if they were to artificially bring this person back to life- it would just be a body. Possibly a zombie or something. The engineers would probably have to find some sort of electrical circuit to keep the heart and other processes going...but it wouldn't be a 'living' person. The person has died (their soul is gone) so you're just manipulating a dead body.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:45 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,286,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I don't get it

( PS: I'm hosting a suprise party at my home this evening, and Mrs. Oakback gets upset if I'm diverted from my setup duties too long, so I'm jumping in and out of the forum )
Oakback:

June will try and make this brief, as she more than understands how diverted husbands (especially bacon-consuming ones) can so readily become a liability!

When June thinks of the term/phrase "frozen souls" (which she loves, by the way) she thinks of those individuals who are unable to acknowledge, for whatever reason, that they possess a soul in the first place. It strikes me that some are not able to access that aspect of themselves. --Because if it exists, it speaks to some sort of (deeper than) heartfelt level that surpasses mere cognition...Some people are hollow; one dimensional in their sense of self...And other things, too, perhaps.

Clearer?

--Now get back to your setup duties, and enjoy the party! (But June feels compelled to ask: What kinda music ya havin'?)

Take gentle care.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM

14,900 posts, read 17,191,188 times
Quote:
where does it say that the soul dies with the body? i was always taught that the soul goes to heaven hell or pergatory...just curious--maybe you could point something out

Hi, here are some scriptures which I believe present this:

PSALM 115:17 The dead do not praise the LORD, nor do any who go down into silence;

PSALM 146:3 Do not trust in princes, in mortal man, in whom there is no salvation. 4 His spirit departs, he returns to the earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Psalm 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee in the grave who shall give thee thanks

I CORINTHIANS 15:20 But now Christ is risen [egegertai] from the dead, and has become the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead.

JOHN 11:11 These things He said, and after that He said to them, "Our friend Lazarus sleeps, but I go that I may wake him up." 12 Then His disciples said, "Lord, if he sleeps he will get well." 13 However, Jesus spoke of his death, but they thought that He was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead." (NKJV)

JOHN 5:28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice 29 and come forth, those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment. (RSV)

I CORINTHIANS 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. 51 Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed -- 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: "Death is swallowed up in victory." (NKJV)

I THESSALONIANS 4:15 According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air…(NIV)

Acts 2 Peter teaches that David did not ascend into heaven, but that he died and was buried and that his tomb was with them that day.

1 Timothy 6:16 teaches that only Christ possesses immortality.

I believe that we become immortal when we are resurrected and this is why the resurrection is so important .

Without the resurrection, we (body/soul respectively ) would remain in the grave or wherever our body is when we die and in the unseen state, when we die, I believe. The spirit that dwells in us returns to God when we die but I don't believe that it is conscious because the resurrection is the key.

"If the dead are not raised, 'Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die..." (1 Cor. 15:32)

This tells me that without the resurrection, death is a permanent thing, that we do not go to heaven or hell when we die, but we are just dead. But death (which is likened to sleep) is a temporary condition and it is to be abolished one day. God bless

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 04-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-05-2008, 04:24 PM

interesting SHANA, you are reading it literally and i was taught that when HE comes back to judge the living and the dead and will resurect us, that HE was talking about our souls. that our body goes to the earth and or soul "goes to sleep" until the time of judgement.
i mean in your interpretation, how would HE resurect our bodies which will have disintegrated over the centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity