Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:45 PM

216 posts, read 604,851 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Here is my recommendation. There are many versions out there. I think any of the versions are great as long as you study knowing that it was originally translated from the Greek and Hebrew languages and that the interpretation may not be accurate.

Personally I think having two or even three versions and cross-checking would be ideal.

I think New King James Version (NKJV) is a good version. I saw this version in Walmart and was like $5-6 only.

I think NIV (New International versions) is a easier to comprehend.

I remember the Good News Bible being easy to understand also.

Personally I read both the NKJV and the King James version (KJV) and occasionally the NIV.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 04:21 PM

756 posts, read 2,576,763 times
make sure which one you get tou know how its translated.
either word for word, or paraphrase.
word for word translation= excellent for bible study
paraphrase= good for leisure reading

Old 04-10-2008, 04:56 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,504,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
make sure which one you get tou know how its translated.
either word for word, or paraphrase.
word for word translation= excellent for bible study
paraphrase= good for leisure reading
Good advice!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:15 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,289,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Do you have a recommendation for a bible that is written in todays language?
O strongly recommend that you get a good Bible software program, that has many Bibles in different languages, dictionaries, commentaries, and a whole smorgasboard of other little golden nuggets to study. Compare the word as a parallel and from there you may be able to expand your knowledge. try to stay away from the ones that have omitted the actual verses from the original text. whether in English, Greek , Aramaic, etc. these seem to be good resources>> NLT, Young's Literal Translation,etc.; try to google Tyndale Bible, since He was a predecessor to King James, and Matthew Henry. You can find Bible Explorer and most of it's free. "How cool is that"..Google Bible Explorer.com and download. Study your heart out and don't take anyone's word as the finally authority on a text. Be like the Bereans study for yourself .(here I was references some Pastors who mishandle the Word of God)
Oh and from there you can choose more wisely in purchasing your own paperback one.
God Bless You

Old 04-10-2008, 08:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,576,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
O strongly recommend that you get a good Bible software program, that has many Bibles in different languages, dictionaries, commentaries, and a whole smorgasboard of other little golden nuggets to study. Compare the word as a parallel and from there you may be able to expand your knowledge. try to stay away from the ones that have omitted the actual verses from the original text. whether in English, Greek , Aramaic, etc. these seem to be good resources>> NLT, Young's Literal Translation,etc.; try to google Tyndale Bible, since He was a predecessor to King James, and Matthew Henry. You can find Bible Explorer and most of it's free. "How cool is that"..Google Bible Explorer.com and download. Study your heart out and don't take anyone's word as the finally authority on a text. Be like the Bereans study for yourself .(here I was references some Pastors who mishandle the Word of God)
Oh and from there you can choose more wisely in purchasing your own paperback one.
God Bless You
ooooohhhhhhh good idea. very wise!!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:59 PM

255 posts, read 1,196,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
I've read Word on the Street, a very strong paraphrase. There is also a version where G-d is gender neutral, but I don't recall what it's called and it is only the NT.
At the heart of the Gospel message is the Fatherhood of God. It was His Son's obedience to the Father which bought our salvation. When we deserved death, He gave us life, that we might be His children. Nowhere in the Scripture does it suggest that God is other than male. To take the Fatherhood of God out of the Gospel message and make it gender neutral is a gross perversion of the truth and I am saddened that anyone on this Christianity forum would recommend it.

As for recommending a specific version, it would take a lot to find fault with the NIV, or the New King James. One which is close to our understanding of English yet is translated by Godly, scholarly men is a must. Unless you plan on becoming fluent in New Testament Greek, Aramaic and Hebrew, I would check the credentials of those who translated the above versions and go with that. (They're pretty impressive.) On this I differ with another poster. I would happily take their word as the final authority on the texts. Saves me years of learning those original languages myself - although I did study New Testament Greek and Hebrew in Bible College so perhaps I have a step forward than others who have not had the privilege I have had. It would still be ludicrous to suggest that my little dabbling in those languages would allow me to have any measure of complete understanding of those languages. I of course still defer to the collective Godly insight the above scholars bring to the text.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,289,647 times
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo Red whiteBlue
What did you decide on?
Pray for wisdom and then add a little comon sense, and you should come up with the version that best suit you
God bless You

Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM

41 posts, read 119,691 times
I just bought one that is connotated by Joyce Myers, it's called the daily life bible or something like that. It's great and I don't read as much as I should b/c others have been difficult to understand fully.. This one is detailed and in PLAIN english if ya know what I mean. I like it a lot.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:54 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,586,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMaggiesMom View Post
I just bought one that is connotated by Joyce Myers, it's called the daily life bible or something like that. It's great and I don't read as much as I should b/c others have been difficult to understand fully.. This one is detailed and in PLAIN english if ya know what I mean. I like it a lot.
??? Haven't heard of that one before..
Well, I'm glad you found a bible and keep asking the Holy Spirit to reveal himself to you as you read the word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity