Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Bald used to mean white haired. The reason the Bald Eagle is called Bald.

For me my hair is going gray and thinning hence doesn't really matter what bald used to mean 😢
I did know that!

I actually saw one last year for the first time outside of an injured one at a wildlife center. It was flying down the center lane line of an Interstate directly toward me. I thought it was a hawk until it got closer, I saw how big it was, and then I saw the white head. It was amazing.

In other news, a bald person in a comic strip used to indicate that they were stupid in some way. Charlie Brown is a bald child.

None of this will help the OP, except that now he has some new trivia to share with a potential mate.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM

1,074 posts, read 641,248 times
Agree with Gus, Mighty Queen, et al.

I am more agnostic, just for the record, but pray every day. It is my belief, and understanding of the studies, that we are not to pray for what we want. What is human desire in the sight of God? Praying for human desire seems as silly as thinking you would make a living out of buying lottery tickets.

Try whole-heartedly praying toward listening and receiving the message, trusting God to give you what He knows you need, not what you want. Most importantly, prayers of gratitude. Meditate, seek nature, serve others. It is the detachment from human want, and connection to God that creates harmony.

And a wife could possibly create more disharmony- I should know, I am a wife- LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ree View Post
My first thought after reading this post of yours was to question your motive for attending church. But then I thought perhaps God is using your desire for a wife to lead you to Him. I sure won’t question His methods. If you don’t know God yet, I hope you get to know Him real soon. He’s pretty awesome!

I think your church leader meant well as do many here on this forum, but none are infallible. Sift through the advice given and take what you will from it. Definitely pray. There isn't anything you can tell God that He doesn't already know, but He is our loving Father and wants to hear from us. He isn't Santa Claus though. Don't just list what you want and expect to find it under your tree the next morning. Not gonna happen!

I believe God gave us free will and we are all (positively and negatively) affected by the choices we make and the choices others make. If you agree, then pray for the power of discernment to make wise choices. This is doubly important when choosing a spouse because God does not condone divorce except in the most extreme cases. You said your wife left you and remarried. Reconcilliation seems unlikely then. I think you have God's blessing to pursue another spouse. Others may think otherwise. It really doesn't matter what any of us thinks though. This is between you and God.

As for finding a wife...I suggest you broaden your search for friends of both genders and all ages. The best way to make a friends is to be a friend. Help others any way you can every chance you can. Walk around your neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. Walking a dog makes this a lot easier to do. Observe neighbors that may be in need of assistance to mow a lawn, climb a ladder to clean out the spouting, shovel snow, change a tire, etc. Talk to the people at church to see where you may be of assistance. Perhaps some opportunities will arise at work too. The people you help will appreciate you and want to help you in return. They could very well be the gateway for meeting your new spouse so be open to all invitations. And remember...choose wisely! If nothing else, you will have made some new friends in the process. Friends are important too.
I think this is the best advice I've received so far, so thank you. To answer your question about why I'm going to church, it really is threefold: 1. To improve my "relationship" with G-d (whatever that means), 2. To find community, and 3. Maybe find a wife, but this is a distant third. I'm not putting all my hope on #3, so its mostly #1 and #2, in that order.

I agree with you regarding my divorce. I couldn't stop it, and trust me, I tried.

The leader of this men's group and I have talked about the challenge the church has in expanding the volunteers. I'm actively thinking about this and will ask him questions about the various volunteer opportunities at the church. Ideally it would be an opportunity where I have some contact with people, but not an overwhelming amount if that makes sense.

I'm going to check some dog rescue places soon, such as Humane Society and a couple other local ones.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYMn1mg8Ug cool guy song... for this subject.. enjoy..

Old 06-12-2019, 10:32 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I think this is the best advice I've received so far, so thank you. To answer your question about why I'm going to church, it really is threefold: 1. To improve my "relationship" with G-d (whatever that means), 2. To find community, and 3. Maybe find a wife, but this is a distant third. I'm not putting all my hope on #3, so its mostly #1 and #2, in that order.

I agree with you regarding my divorce. I couldn't stop it, and trust me, I tried.

The leader of this men's group and I have talked about the challenge the church has in expanding the volunteers. I'm actively thinking about this and will ask him questions about the various volunteer opportunities at the church. Ideally it would be an opportunity where I have some contact with people, but not an overwhelming amount if that makes sense.

I'm going to check some dog rescue places soon, such as Humane Society and a couple of other local ones.
yes that was great advice (she?) gave .... but as you shared more we realized your priorities were different than those stated at the start.. she was more "decerning" of who you were than some of us in the beginning with that first post.
and I love your response to her proves you are seeking Our Fathers will first.... not just your own desires..
SO yes I will pray for you! and surely a wonderful woman will eventually see the Father's heart in you..and she will want one of that kind to pour her life into..!! <LOL> !! but till then we all need to seek and find the Father's heart! and in that process, ours is purified. and that alone will draw a more "spiritually" healed and purified "as gold" wife. Which you want also right?

maybe one who doesn't fall into and out of love so easily!
one who has learned love is a commitment to pour ourselves out...and not a feeling.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRYMn1mg8Ug cool guy song... for this subject.. enjoy..
Really good song! Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
yes that was great advice (she?) gave .... but as you shared more we realized your priorities were different than those stated at the start.. she was more "decerning" of who you were than some of us in the beginning with that first post.
and I love your response to her proves you are seeking Our Fathers will first.... not just your own desires..
SO yes I will pray for you! and surely a wonderful woman will eventually see the Father's heart in you..and she will want one of that kind to pour her life into..!! <LOL> !! but till then we all need to seek and find the Father's heart! and in that process, ours is purified. and that alone will draw a more "spiritually" healed and purified "as gold" wife. Which you want also right?

maybe one who doesn't fall into and out of love so easily!
one who has learned love is a commitment to pour ourselves out...and not a feeling.
Exactly, because love is a decision, not just a feeling. I've yet to find a woman who understands this. Heck, I didn't understand it myself until recently.

I started this thread because what that man said to me about praying for a wife was new for me. Well, not entirely new, but it wasn't a daily habit for sure.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,605,673 times
Life is much better with friends with benefits.

They don’t take half+ when you get tired of them and want out.

Remember, Billy Joel got tired of Christie Brinkley.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Thats not a smart thing to say on a Christian thread. Just sayin. I'll bet Christie got tired of him. He was out of his league with her.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thats not a smart thing to say on a Christian thread. Just sayin. I'll bet Christie got tired of him. He was out of his league with her.
I remember SNL's take on it in one of their Weekend Update skits:

"Christie Brinkley decided to divorce Billy Joel when she realized that she was Christie Brinkley, and she was married to Billy Joel."

(Actually, she left him for the guy she was in the helicopter crash with, I thought. They formed a bond over their shared near-death experience.)

But, the "yulk yulk yulk dem ebil wimmins take all the money" meme is so worn out. I got divorced in 2001 and it took YEARS to pay off all the debt my exh cost me. Even after that, he cost me more when he didn't uphold his end of the college cost for our kid.

Christian or otherwise, people need to lay the financial cards on the table and establish that a potential partner is on the same page financially early in the relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity