Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:29 AM

421 posts, read 153,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
In respect to reincarnation, i tend to lean towards it, but not convinced as of yet.
Same here.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
In the Greek language there exists tenses that are not used or available in English, at least without the use of extra vocabulary to explain what was truly meant. John 3:16, the favorite Biblical verse placed on highway billboards, or written on posters at football games, apparently express a verbal “tense” not used in the English language.

That tense is referred to as the continuous present tense. It can be constructed in English using words that accompany the verb. However, there is no single tense that can be assigned to the verb that makes it present continuous. Common English language sentences in different tenses may read like these:

Present Tense: Snj is swimming.

Past Tense: Snj swam.

Future Tense:

Snj will swim tomorrow.

Present Continuous Tense (In English): Snj has been swimming all day.

Notice how in English the continuous present tense can be formed by using an auxillary verb plus a past participle prior to the verb (swimming). This is not necessary in Greek, since there’s an actual tense for the verb itself that denotes something happening now and ongoing.

As James White and David Pawson have both pointed out, the best translation of John 3:16 would read more like the following:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever “continues or goes on believing” in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever “continues believing” in him is not condemned, but whoever does not “continue believing” stands condemned already because they have not “continued believing” in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Easy believism

The idea that salvation is simply a one time, one-and-done event that doesn’t result or show itself in any real manifested way. “Come to this alter, say this prayer, and you’re saved”.
No, salvation is not "simply a one time, one-and-done event that doesn’t result or show itself in any real manifested way." It is also not an act of the will of man, but of the will of God (John 1:13, John 3:3-8, Romans 9:16), Who chose His adopted children before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:3-6). Jesus will not lose a single one that the Father has given Him (John 6:39, John 10:27-30). There is no possible way for an adopted child of God to thwart God's plan to save them.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:49 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
No, salvation is not "simply a one time, one-and-done event that doesn’t result or show itself in any real manifested way." It is also not an act of the will of man, but of the will of God (John 1:13, John 3:3-8, Romans 9:16), Who chose His adopted children before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1:3-6). Jesus will not lose a single one that the Father has given Him (John 6:39, John 10:27-30). There is no possible way for an adopted child of God to thwart God's plan to save them.
So in respect to all that the Father has given him. If I be lifted up i will draw ALL men unto me. There is no way possible to stop the one lifted up from drawing all men to himself. Drawing to himself is not congregating the all around him, but the all seeing him as their true identity, that is the great purpose and plan of God.
When we see him we shall be like him, while we think a Jewish man with a beard called the savior is what we are called to, then we are missing the point, when we see beyond the outward appearance, we see the image of what we are, then we are beginning to get it.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:49 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,026,379 times
Quote:
Dear snj: The salvation of Abba is indeed not by the will of the flesh or the will of man! The one who loses nothing prevails. Not only leftover fish & bread, Jesus Christ loses NOTHING!

From Him the all, through Him the all, in Him the all.

God is the God of ta panta!

Old 07-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
So in respect to all that the Father has given him. If I be lifted up i will draw ALL men unto me. There is no way possible to stop the one lifted up from drawing all men to himself. Drawing to himself is not congregating the all around him, but the all seeing him as their true identity, that is the great purpose and plan of God.
When we see him we shall be like him, while we think a Jewish man with a beard called the savior is what we are called to, then we are missing the point, when we see beyond the outward appearance, we see the image of what we are, then we are beginning to get it.

Dear Paul: Methinks the Master will indeed draw, drag off with power, impel the ta panta to Himself. Not the malista only, the entire broken creation of the heavens, earth & underworld.

Every last one!

Old 07-04-2019, 09:02 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
What i do believe is, if the veil is removed from our eyes we would see that heaven is all around us, for no wit is for us to recognize it in us and live by it. It is beyond what we can think and imagine, and that to me can be nothing more than great unmoveable peace. In respect to reincarnation, i tend to lean towards it, but not convinced as of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Same here.
Me three. I consider it a real possibility, but I can't say I "know", either.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I like this post!

Old 07-04-2019, 09:18 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
In the context of John 12, there were Greeks who were coming to Jesus to worship Him - i.e., Gentiles. John 12:32, which you mention, I would take as a reference to the spreading of the gospel of salvation to the whole world. Also, "all men" is not a literal translation: the text just says all, not all men: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/12.htm

Old 07-04-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
In the context of John 12, there were Greeks who were coming to Jesus to worship Him - i.e., Gentiles. John 12:32, which you mention, I would take as a reference to the spreading of the gospel of salvation to the whole world. Also, "all men" is not a literal translation: the text just says all, not all men: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/12.htm
Yup! pas= the radical all!

Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
"All" is a broader, more encompassing term than "all men." It could include your pets and the tree in your front yard also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity