Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
In the context of John 12, there were Greeks who were coming to Jesus to worship Him - i.e., Gentiles. John 12:32, which you mention, I would take as a reference to the spreading of the gospel of salvation to the whole world. Also, "all men" is not a literal translation: the text just says all, not all men: https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/12.htm
Lol, how convenient.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:57 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
"All" is a broader, more encompassing term than "all men." It could include your pets and the tree in your front yard also.
It is more encompassing at the expense of specificity. Contextually, I think we see Jesus is referring to Gentile salvation, as Jesus's statement was made in the context of Greeks who had come to worship Him. Jesus's Jewish disciples didn't know what to make of this, and so they asked Him.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
It is more encompassing at the expense of specificity. Contextually, I think we see Jesus is referring to Gentile salvation, as Jesus's statement was made in the context of Greeks who had come to worship Him. Jesus's Jewish disciples didn't know what to make of this, and so they asked Him.
Don’t call anything unclean that God has made clean. An approach to reaching ALL the Spirit is approving of. You see God call the things that are not as though they are. You should try it, it is termed by Jesus as being righteous judgment. C

Old 07-04-2019, 10:55 AM

421 posts, read 153,409 times
Quote:
"All" is pretty specific. The context is the world, btw.
Now is the judgement of this world, and now is the prince of this world cast out, and if I be lifted up, I will drag off the whole unto myself.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:44 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
"All" is pretty specific. The context is the world, btw.
Now is the judgement of this world, and now is the prince of this world cast out, and if I be lifted up, I will drag off the whole unto myself.

The context is Gentile salvation. We can exclude the possibility that Jesus is taking about every single individual in the world.

John 17:1-2, 9, 20:

1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:
2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
[...]
9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.
[...]
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

Old 07-04-2019, 12:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
In the Greek language there exists tenses that are not used or available in English, at least without the use of extra vocabulary to explain what was truly meant. John 3:16, the favorite Biblical verse placed on highway billboards, or written on posters at football games, apparently express a verbal “tense” not used in the English language.
That tense is referred to as the continuous present tense. It can be constructed in English using words that accompany the verb. However, there is no single tense that can be assigned to the verb that makes it present continuous. Common English language sentences in different tenses may read like these:
Present Tense: Snj is swimming.Past Tense: Snj swam.Future Tense: Snj will swim tomorrow.
Present Continuous Tense (In English): Snj has been swimming all day.
Notice how in English the continuous present tense can be formed by using an auxillary verb plus a past participle prior to the verb (swimming). This is not necessary in Greek, since there’s an actual tense for the verb itself that denotes something happening now and ongoing.
...John 3:16 would read more like the following:
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever “continues or goes on believing” in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Easy believism
The idea that salvation is simply a one time, one-and-done event that doesn’t result or show itself in any real manifested way. “Come to this alter, say this prayer, and you’re saved”.
<Snipped> for space...that was amazing!!! Thank you...can't rep u again.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The context is Gentile salvation. We can exclude the possibility that Jesus is taking about every single individual in the world.
He is talking about His death on the cross. It was for everyone, not just the Gentiles.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:03 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Reason #22

If universalism is true, why did Paul say...

I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh. Rom. 9:2-3

That is all...

Old 07-04-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Reason #22

If universalism is true, why did Paul say...

I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh. Rom. 9:2-3

That is all...
.......And then, 2 chapters later he says that all of Israel will be saved, so it must not have been because they are going to Hell.

Maybe because they didn't know their own God?

Old 07-04-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
.......And then, 2 chapters later he says that all of Israel will be saved, so it must not have been because they are going to Hell.

Maybe because they didn't know their own God?
Then there is this which has jimmie and snj90 gnashing their teeth

For God hath shut up ALL unto disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all.

Fancy God doing that when Finn and his mates believed in Jesus said the sinners prayer, commited themselves to going church 2 or 3 times a week, believed the bible is innerant and infallible, hate homosexuality, and God was behind the whole thing. I actually believe it would have been better for Finn and his mates to have continued in sin rather than coming into the faith of bible fundamentalism. Give me prodaigilism any day of the week over undying faith in the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity