Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 05:09 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
...I'd rather limit discussion to why young Christian people write these kinds of books. I only said SOME of them are young when they write these books. NOT ALL OF THEM. But can a person this young have the same kind of perspective an older person has on relationships especially as young as 21.
Obviously, they can’t have the same perspective as someone with more experience. But they are, perhaps, more relatable to the targeted high school/college demographic (or the adults who would buy these books for their teens hope so, anyway). But, I’m not discounting someone’s perspective just because they are young, either. I’ve often been very impressed with the wisdom that the younger generations possess. They have grown up in a completely different world than we older adults and are much more thoughtful than I recall my own generation being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 06:52 AM

45,644 posts, read 27,268,345 times
Quote:
I am curious why "some" ( VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: I did NOT say ALL or MAJORITY) Christian authors of dating books married at very young ages, early 20s (so they have relatively little dating experience versus people who married older). Or they are very young themselves when they write these books, such as Josh Harris the author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye. He was 21 years old when he wrote this book, believing his advice could apply to people of all ages. And he had a massive following for a long time. Rather than discuss the meanings of terms like some authors, how many authors or what have you I'd rather limit discussion to why young Christian people write these kinds of books. I only said SOME of them are young when they write these books. NOT ALL OF THEM. But can a person this young have the same kind of perspective an older person has on relationships especially as young as 21.
To answer your question directly (which I didn't do before) - I would lean no... but the Lord is the giver of wisdom.

Ultimately it depends on the content.

Old 10-27-2019, 07:27 AM

1,146 posts, read 650,288 times
Quote:
I am curious why "some" ( VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: I did NOT say ALL or MAJORITY) Christian authors of dating books married at very young ages, early 20s (so they have relatively little dating experience versus people who married older). Or they are very young themselves when they write these books, such as Josh Harris the author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye. He was 21 years old when he wrote this book, believing his advice could apply to people of all ages. And he had a massive following for a long time. Rather than discuss the meanings of terms like some authors, how many authors or what have you I'd rather limit discussion to why young Christian people write these kinds of books. I only said SOME of them are young when they write these books. NOT ALL OF THEM. But can a person this young have the same kind of perspective an older person has on relationships especially as young as 21.
A Christian book store near us closed recently.

On one of the last days of business, my wife and I went in to peruse their shelves.

There was only one single volume of scholarly literature on all their shelves - a compilation of the works of Francis Schaeffer.

Virtually ALL of the shelves contained life style books - which are NOT efficacious for living a life surrendered to God. Their purpose is to tickle the imagination and pervert the mind. A life style book IS NOT valid for understanding God's plan for one's life. The Bible is the one authoritative source for that sort of information.

Yet all the Bibles in the Christian book store were relegated to a dusty back shelf, instead of a display by the front door. It comes as no surprise, therefore, that the Christian religion is seen today as a joke - for they do not know the value of their own scripture - preferring instead to read psycho-religious poison.

Additionally, the Bibles available were study Bibles which are notoriously replete with the favorite doctrines of the publisher directing the reader to all sorts of religious mumbo jumbo. There are very few study Bibles that are accurate and true with regard to enabling the reader to glean gems from scripture.

Thanks be to God for closing the religious book store
- for that is all it had become. On the last day it had diluted the gospel to the point where it could not be found anywhere except among the dust of the store's dark corners.

It is no wonder that Christians are so notoriously illiterate when it comes to history tradition and Holy Writ. They read nothing more than tabloid rubbish - masking as religion.

God has provided riches beyond imagination, but they prefer to wallow in the literary sewage of a society in decline.

Life style books are toxic. Do NOT read them.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 10-27-2019 at 07:36 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 11:43 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Obviously, they can’t have the same perspective as someone with more experience. But they are, perhaps, more relatable to the targeted high school/college demographic (or the adults who would buy these books for their teens hope so, anyway). But, I’m not discounting someone’s perspective just because they are young, either. I’ve often been very impressed with the wisdom that the younger generations possess. They have grown up in a completely different world than we older adults and are much more thoughtful than I recall my own generation being.
Would you as a 40 year old take dating advice from a 21 year old who is barely just out of high school?

I wouldn't.

Dating as an adult is a LOT different from dating as a teen or college student.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:45 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Yet all the Bibles in the Christian book store were relegated to a dusty back shelf, instead of a display by the front door. It comes as no surprise, therefore, that the Christian religion is seen today as a joke - for they do not know the value of their own scripture - preferring instead to read psycho-religious poison.

But the life style books and publishing them makes money for people. That's why they publish them continually. Many Bible studies these days require purchase of a book by a Christian author, rather than studying the actual Bible.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
A Christian book store near us closed recently.

On one of the last days of business, my wife and I went in to peruse their shelves.

There was only one single volume of scholarly literature on all their shelves - a compilation of the works of Francis Schaeffer.

Virtually ALL of the shelves contained life style books - which are NOT efficacious for living a life surrendered to God. Their purpose is to tickle the imagination and pervert the mind. A life style book IS NOT valid for understanding God's plan for one's life. The Bible is the one authoritative source for that sort of information.

Additionally, the Bibles available were study Bibles which are notoriously replete with the favorite doctrines of the publisher directing the reader to all sorts of religious mumbo jumbo. There are very few study Bibles that are accurate and true with regard to enabling the reader to glean gems from scripture.

Thanks be to God for closing the religious book store
- for that is all it had become. On the last day it had diluted the gospel to the point where it could not be found anywhere except among the dust of the store's dark corners.

It is no wonder that Christians are so notoriously illiterate when it comes to history tradition and Holy Writ. They read nothing more than tabloid rubbish - masking as religion.

God has provided riches beyond imagination, but they prefer to wallow in the literary sewage of a society in decline.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

So true. Many of them are closing for that very reason. One in Indy closed not long ago and I just found out a non chain one in a smaller city that had been in business for nearly 4 decades also closed. And it's not only the self help tomes that put them under, a great many of the books they pushed were at home on the New Age section shelves in regular bookstores. The sheep may not know the wolves, but the wolves know the wolves. There is already a famine in the land.....blessings....

Old 10-27-2019, 01:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:

I can't speak for them, they have their own stories and reasons. But I can share some thoughts on the subject. Most people who don't have a close relationship with Him, who don't hear Him and don't seek Him for direction in their lives, live in a society that thinks being "progressive" and "modern" is the epitome of the wisdom of the ages. But if you look within the pages of His book, there was no such thing as "dating". And like the patriarch Isaac, G-d provided a wife for him, and believe it or not, He is no respecter of persons and if asked, He will provide a mate for people today and the age they are has no bearing on it, the requirement is that they 1) ask, and 2) know Him and hear His voice for themselves. He desires to be involved in every single aspect of our lives, and He wants us to realize fully, that YOU CAN'T OUT GIVE G-D, you can't do better than Him on ANYTHING. Until people come to that realization, they will continue along, thinking they can better captain their own ship, until they hit the rocks and cry out for help. Blessings...

Old 10-27-2019, 02:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
My post was clear. Just showing who you are.
You have no idea of WHO I AM. But you can always write something based on speculation.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
Quote:
Would you as a 40 year old take dating advice from a 21 year old who is barely just out of high school?

I wouldn't.

Yep. And being widowed, doesn't mean you cannot love someone else.
But the dating field is a whole lot different, than that of being twenty.

Last edited by Jerwade; 10-27-2019 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-27-2019, 02:31 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times
Quote:

I wouldn't.

You asked why someone so young would write a book. I assume their target audience is their peer group, not someone twice their age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity