Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2020, 06:38 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And that's the least of the problems associated with the flood. How on earth did Noah go about collecting two penguins, two kangaroos and two Gila monsters? Did God just plunk them down at the ramp to the ark or what?
He said it was a local flood, penguins and kangaroos aren’t local to the Black Sea area....

Old 01-28-2020, 06:42 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
He said it was a local flood, penguins and kangaroos aren’t local to the Black Sea area....
Yes, I know that's what Mike said and I agree with him. I was thinking of the people who insist it was a worldwide flood. I'm wondering how Noah went about gathering up two of every kind of animal, even those whose habitats were nowhere near where he was building the ark.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:47 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Along the same lines, I remember once being taught in a Sunday School class that all of the earth's languages originated with the Tower of Babel. When I got home and told my dad what I'd learned, he sat me down and straightened me out. (He was a professor in the Language Department at the University of Utah and knew quite a bit about the development of the world's languages. It was through my dad that I learned that you can learn to value the Bible for the wisdom it imparts without accepting every word as literal.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:48 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The known world of the day did not include the concept of a large globe. The flood stories of the ancient Near East were based on an actual flood, but one that was at best a regional flood such as the Black Sea flood. From that, legends developed, and from those legends came the Biblical flood story as a polemic against those legends. Geology quite simply refutes any possibility of a flood which submerged the entire global earth.
An extract from the book that I am in the process of writing.

According to an article by Mark Bailey Posted December 15 1997. There were major events occurring around the world at that time, floods, Meteorite strikes, caused by a close encounter with a disintegrating comet, presumable causing catastrophic world-wide tsunami’ etc, and the flood stories are found throughout the countries of the world.

The major volcanic explosion of Hekla 4 in Iceland, which spewed out massive amounts of larva, coupled with a close encounter with a passing disintegrating comet and a Tunguska like fireball, are believed to have been major issues in the inundation of Ireland that is said to have been left waste for 30 odd years, and the devastating flood around the Mediterranean Sea, which was the known civilized world in the days of Noah around 2350 B.C, the time when this catastrophic event is said to have occurred.

Although the flood story as handed down from Noah to his descendant Abraham, may have been a local event around Ireland and the coasts of the Mediterranean Sea, and as far inland to the Euphrates and beyond, it would have been recorded as an event which had flooded their entire known world.

The people of the pre-flood days would not have known that the circumference of the earth was almost 25,000 miles, nor would they have known how many continents and islands there are on this earth. Their known world was limited to the civilised world of those days.

Over 2,000 years before George Smith’s discovery of the deluge tablets in Iraq, there existed an account of the Chaldean [pre-Babylonian] flood myth. Berosus, an ancient Chaldean historian living in the time of Alexander the Great in the 4th century B.C.E, relayed to the Greeks the antiquity of his peoples deluge myth in the following words: “After the death of Ardates, his son Xisuthrus reigned eighteen sari. In his time happened a great deluge; the history of which is thus described.

The deity Cronos appeared to him in a vision, and warned him that upon the fifteenth day of the month Daesius there would be a flood, by which mankind be destroyed. He therefore enjoined him to write a history of the beginning, procedure, and conclusion of all things, and to bury it in the city of the sun at Sippara; and to build a vessel, and take with him into it his friends and relations; and to convey on board everything necessary to sustain life, together with all the different animals, [In the area of his known world] both birds and quadrupeds, and trust himself fearlessly to the deep.

Having asked the Deity whither he was to sail, he was answered, “To the Gods;” upon which he offered up a prayer for the good of mankind. He then obeyed the divine admonition and built a vessel five stadia in length, and two in breadth. Into this he put everything which he had prepared, and last of all conveyed into it his wife, his children and his friends. After the flood had been upon the earth, and was in time abated, Xisuthrus sent out birds from the vessel; which finding no food, nor any place whereupon they might rest their feet, returned to him again. After an interval of some days, he sent them forth a second time; and they now returned with their feet tinged with mud. He made a trial a third time with these birds; but they returned to him no more: from whence he judged that the surface of the earth had appeared above the waters.

He therefore made an opening in the vessel, and upon looking out found that it was stranded upon the side of some mountains; upon which he immediately quitted it with his wife, his children, and the pilot. Xisuhrus then paid his adoration to the earth: and having constructed an altar, offered sacrifices to the Gods.”

It should be noted that the account of the deluge relayed in the tablets discovered by George Smith differ only very slightly from Berosus’ account, which differs only slightly from the story handed down by the Chaldean, Abraham, whose father ‘Terah’ was High Priest in the temple of the Chaldean city of Ur.

The flood of Noah didn’t come as a surprise. It had been preached on for four generations. Something strange happened when Enoch was 65, from which time “He walked with God.” Enoch was given a prophecy that as long as his firstborn son ‘Methuselah’ was alive, the judgement of the flood would be withheld, but as soon as he died, the flood would be sent forth.

Enoch named his firstborn to reflect this prophecy. The name Methuselah comes from two roots: muth, a root that means death, and from shalach, which means ‘To Bring’ or ‘To Send Forth.’ Thus, the name Methuselah signifies, ‘His Death Shall Bring.’ And, indeed, in the year that Methuselah died, the flood came.

Remembering that Abraham was the son of Terah the High priest of the temple in the Chaldean city of Ur, and he was, according to the erroneous Roman OT, 58 when Noah died, the question is now asked, could the Chaldean name ‘Arsates’ mean, ‘When he dies it will happen? And could the name ‘Xisuthrus’ have the same meaning as that of the name ‘Noah’, which is, “One who brings relief or comfort?”

The Chaldean month of Daesius, is the 2nd month, which corresponds with the biblical account that it was in the second month that the flood came. But there is a two-day discrepancy: the biblical account is the 17th day, [See Genesis 7: 11.] whereas the other is the 15th day.

These three flood accounts are so similar it becomes obvious that they originated from the one source. Another interesting similarity between the Chaldean deluge story and the one as handed down through the Hebrew, is that before the flood, people lived extraordinary long lives until the god/gods declared that man shall no longer live past a restricted age limit. This signifies that the floods of both cultures mark the same transition in the history of the world, that being, the birth of the modern world.

The more that I am forced to look at the flood accounts, the more I am convinced that some catastrophic event occurred 4,500 years ago, which caused worldwide devastating floods and tsunamis, of which the more accurate account of the flood that devastated the civilized world of that day, can be found in the Hebrew culture that came down from the Chaldean Abraham, and his family, whose language and racial religion have remained intact for over 4,000 years.

For the Word of God can be likened to a star that’s being ever brightened
By the mind of man reaching ever higher, but those who deviate they’re liars
In God’s words man’s mind can grow, but those outside are like the snow
That settles on the desert sand and will melt away before “I AM.”...….The Anointed.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And that's the least of the problems associated with the flood. How on earth did Noah go about collecting two penguins, two kangaroos and two Gila monsters? Did God just plunk them down at the ramp to the ark or what?
Or return them to their homes after the flood. There's just all kinds of difficulties with the Noah flood story.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
An extract from the book that I am in the process of writing.
Oh, good grief. Stop peddling your book on my thread.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Oh, good grief. Enough of your silly book and your pseudo science.
And you are entitled to dismiss as much of God's word as you wish, you can continue to call it the rubbish that you appear to believe that it is. It's called "FREE WILL."

BTW, do you still believe that Black Holes do not devour planets that come too close to them?

Old 01-28-2020, 07:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
It’s not a history book it’s inspired literature

Old 01-28-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s not a history book it’s inspired literature
It's inspired historical literature.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
And you are entitled to dismiss as much of God's word as you wish, you can continue to call it the rubbish that you appear to believe that it is. It's called "FREE WILL."

BTW, do you still believe that Black Holes do not devour planets that come too close to them?
You just got through implying at the bottom of post #44 that Noah's flood didn't happen the way that the Bible says, but merely that it is the most accurate of the flood stories.

Quoting you from post #44.
The more that I am forced to look at the flood accounts, the more I am convinced that some catastrophic event occurred 4,500 years ago, which caused worldwide devastating floods and tsunamis, of which the more accurate account of the flood that devastated the civilized world of that day, can be found in the Hebrew culture that came down from the Chaldean Abraham, and his family, whose language and racial religion have remained intact for over 4,000 years.
There was no global flood 4,500 hundred years ago. If there had been a global flood 4,500 years ago which submerged the entire globe of the earth higher than the highest mountains, someone forgot to tell the Egyptians who went right on about their daily business. Egypt was unified in 3100 BC and continued right on without missing a beat, which would have placed Egypt in the midst of Noah's flood.
For almost 30 centuries—from its unification around 3100 B.C. to its conquest by Alexander the Great in 332 B.C.—ancient Egypt was the preeminent civilization in the Mediterranean world.

https://www.history.com/topics/ancie.../ancient-egypt
Your knowledge of history is as bad as your knowledge of science.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-28-2020 at 08:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity