Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 11:07 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
so what then, I should put a couple potatoes in the collections basket instead??

Personally, I usually suggest a live sheep and a handful of fine flour.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 11:19 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Nate and ccc, the scriptures have a multilayer and I think you are talking on different levels

Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s ..... my kingdom is not of this world

If you attend a church and use the facilities, yes you should give a donation of some sort, the places that individual’s come to get a basic understanding of God and religion are a starting point, or “home” base and require material, physical things to exist in a material, physical world.... but there is a lot of the scriptures which relate to the ephemeral, spiritual kingdom that is not subject to the material, physical and is free and above, and are not to be taken as speaking of literal things

Old 02-08-2020, 11:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Nate and ccc, the scriptures have a multilayer and I think you are talking on different levels

If you attend a church and use the facilities, yes you should give a donation of some sort, the places that individual’s come to get a basic understanding of God and religion are a starting point, or “home” base and require material, physical things to exist in a material, physical world.... but there is a lot of the scriptures which relate to the ephemeral, spiritual kingdom that is not subject to the material, physical and is free and above, and are not to be taken as speaking of literal things
I think you have no idea what we are talking about.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I think I do

Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
so what then, I should put a couple potatoes in the collections basket instead??
Are YOU the "laborer in the field?" If potatoes are what such a laborer needs do so. Follow your conscience, it's bound to be better than your reasoning.

Hint: Jesus didn't say not to carry potatoes.

Last edited by nateswift; 02-08-2020 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-08-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
<snip>

<snip>
Just curious, who is the grammar police not liking my apostrophe?

Old 02-08-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Are YOU the "laborer in the field?" If potatoes are what such a laborer needs do so. Follow your conscience, it's bound to be better than your reasoning.
Depends what “field” you are labouring in wouldn’t it, also are all in the “kingdom” labourers?

Old 02-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Depends what “field” you are labouring in wouldn’t it, also are all in the “kingdom” labourers?
Stay with us, Jesus was talking to people who were being sent out to teach.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
Is your church a goat church? If it is centered on getting money then you are. No man can serve to masters. Money and God can not be mixed. The message of the Gospel becomes distorted and is softened. ever notice how the money basket gets circulated right after the so called Gospel is preached. After you are uplifted mentally with the pastor saying," your secure in Christ", the basket comes out. Guess what you are in a Goat church.
Quote:
Stay with us, Jesus was talking to people who were being sent out to teach.
The topic is about physical churches, handing around the collection plate, you and ccc are off on a tangent of discussing metaphors, potatoes, fields, labourers, so ..........

I agree that the church system has doctrines, traditions, theories, “good” and “bad” all mixed together, based on confusing the prophetic, metaphoric, allegoric, literal, spiritual, individual, National, etc

It is what is, and what I see is there is a need, and there is prophecy relating to it, that the good and bad are to be separated, the bad burned, the good kept

The good is imperishable and it does go through the fire and it is not burnt

The allegory for that is in Daniel and in Corinthians

Co 3:9 For of God we are fellow-workers, a field of God, and you are a building of God.
1Co 3:10 According to God's grace given to me, as a wise master builder, I laid a foundation, but another builds on it. But let each one be careful how he builds.
1Co 3:11 For no one is able to lay any other foundation beside the One having been laid, who is Jesus Christ.
1Co 3:12 And if anyone builds on this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw,
1Co 3:13 the work of each will be revealed; for the Day will make it known, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire will prove the work of each, what sort it is.
1Co 3:14 If the work of anyone which he built remains, he will receive a reward.
1Co 3:15 If the work of anyone shall be consumed, he shall suffer loss; but he will be saved, but so as through fire.
1Co 3:16 Do you not know that you are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you?
1Co 3:17 If anyone corrupts the sanctuary of God, God will bring that one to corruption; for the sanctuary of God is holy, which you are.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 02-08-2020 at 01:12 PM..

Old 02-08-2020, 01:33 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
Is your church a goat church? If it is centered on getting money then you are. No man can serve to masters. Money and God can not be mixed. The message of the Gospel becomes distorted and is softened. ever notice how the money basket gets circulated right after the so called Gospel is preached. After you are uplifted mentally with the pastor saying," your secure in Christ", the basket comes out. Guess what you are in a Goat church.
Never heard that phrase before.

But do you go to church? How do you pay the light bill? Does your pastor draw a salary at all?

We pass the collection plate before the sermon. It's part of worship -- by our giving. When we give money to God's church, we declare that he is worthy. The pastor prays that God would use it to bless our church and continue to further the Gospel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity