Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To each his own, Richard.
Lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 07:10 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Yes sir Free, you got it. Once we dedicate ourselves to God, we suit up in our armor Eph 6: 11-17 to take those words of truth to the ends of the earth. Were you aware that the "good news" is about the Kingdom of God?
Read the post you just replied to.

Am I aware?

Come on!

Old 07-06-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The food for eternal life is agape love for God and each other as demonstrated by Jesus.
Jesus said;

“My food is doing the will of my Heavenly Father and bringing His work to completion.”

So the son of mans food is doing the will of God.

Get over your one verse theology.

Come to me and you will see.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:04 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,007,109 times
Default Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Read the post you just replied to.

Am I aware?

Come on!
Is that a yes or no? I realize most people believe they are righteous Pro 21:2. I hope you understand that with any government you have rules and regulations to be a citizen. God's Kingdom is no different sir, are you aware of the requirements of citizenry?

Old 07-07-2020, 08:35 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
Quote:
There are two verses that come to mind about this topic.
1. John 6:27 NRS
“Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.”
2. My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to bring His work to completion.
So doing the will of God is the food we must be working for.
How does the son of man give it to you?
ahem- your #2, that is HIS food; that's why He says "MY food"...
He didn't say 'Your Food' in that verse.

The food He gives us is spelled out clearly in John 6 - it's all there:
"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. "...

Old 07-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
ahem- your #2, that is HIS food; that's why He says "MY food"...
He didn't say 'Your Food' in that verse.

The food He gives us is spelled out clearly in John 6 - it's all there:
"I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. "...
Your missing it.

His food is to be the food of those who follow Him.

Jesus does say it differently in John 6 but those who eat the flesh of the son of man and drink His blood become the son.

“If the son frees you, you’ll truly be free.”

Son= Servant of God.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:21 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
There are two verses that come to mind about this topic.

1. John 6:27 NRS

“Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.”

2. My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to bring His work to completion.

So doing the will of God is the food we must be working for.

How does the son of man give it to you?
If you read further in John 6, Jesus referenced the manna (bread from heaven) from the OT as a sign pointing to Himself. The Jews didn't like that he called himself the bread from heaven (v. 41).

Jesus again and more explicitly called himself the "bread of life" (v. 51), and then said that just as the Hebrews ate the manna, WE must eat the bread of life (Jesus himself). In v. 52, he says that the new bread is his flesh.

The Jews freaked out in v. 53 because Jesus literally told them to eat his flesh. When Jesus had the opportunity to clarify that he was only speaking metaphorically or spiritually, he did not, but instead DOUBLED DOWN on his command in v. 54.

The Greek word used for "eat" in v. 52 is "παγειν (phagein)" which has a straightforward translation, the verb "to eat".

Jesus doubles down in v. 54, using the Greek word "τρωγω (trogo)", which also means "to eat", but has a more animalistic connotation and connotes "gnawing" or "crunching".

What Jesus is saying is that in order to have life, we must literally and physically eat his flesh and drink his blood! This is what we do at mass when the Priest consecrates the bread and wine, thereby transubstantiating them into Christ's real body and blood - eternal and divine - and offers it up to God the Father as the perfect sacrifice for our sins.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
If you read further in John 6, Jesus referenced the manna (bread from heaven) from the OT as a sign pointing to Himself. The Jews didn't like that he called himself the bread from heaven (v. 41).

Jesus again and more explicitly called himself the "bread of life" (v. 51), and then said that just as the Hebrews ate the manna, WE must eat the bread of life (Jesus himself). In v. 52, he says that the new bread is his flesh.

The Jews freaked out in v. 53 because Jesus literally told them to eat his flesh. When Jesus had the opportunity to clarify that he was only speaking metaphorically or spiritually, he did not, but instead DOUBLED DOWN on his command in v. 54.

The Greek word used for "eat" in v. 52 is "παγειν (phagein)" which has a straightforward translation, the verb "to eat".

Jesus doubles down in v. 54, using the Greek word "τρωγω (trogo)", which also means "to eat", but has a more animalistic connotation and connotes "gnawing" or "crunching".

What Jesus is saying is that in order to have life, we must literally and physically eat his flesh and drink his blood! This is what we do at mass when the Priest consecrates the bread and wine, thereby transubstantiating them into Christ's real body and blood - eternal and divine - and offers it up to God the Father as the perfect sacrifice for our sins.
No other word for that behavior except cannibalism...

Old 07-08-2020, 12:37 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No other word for that behavior except cannibalism...
Or simply "Christianity" for 1500+ years...

The pagan Romans used the "cannibal" slur against Christians too, you're not the first.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Or simply "Christianity" for 1500+ years...

The pagan Romans used the "cannibal" slur against Christians too, you're not the first.
Just sayin’...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity