Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 AM

90 posts, read 185,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children. {destroyed: Heb. cut off}

tx_spirit These are more then "cute little phrases". It is the Word of God" You don't use Gods' word because you know not the scripture. Neither do you know what "your" church teaches. Here is the Hebrew word and its meaning for "worship".

Old Testament Hebrew Definition:
07812 shachah {shaw-khaw'}
a primitive root; TWOT - 2360; v
AV - worship 99, bow 31, bow down 18, obeisance 9, reverence 5,
fall down 3, themselves 2, stoop 1, crouch 1, misc 3; 172
1) to bow down
1a) (Qal) to bow down
1b) (Hiphil) to depress (fig)
1c) (Hithpael)
1c1) to bow down, prostrate oneself
1c1a) before superior in homage
1c1b) before God in worship
1c1c) before false gods
1c1d) before angel

Here is the New Testament Greek for worship:

New Testament Greek Definition:
4352 proskuneo {pros-koo-neh'-o}
from 4314 and a probable derivative of 2965 (meaning to kiss,
like a dog licking his master's hand)
; TDNT - 6:758,948; v
AV - worship 60; 60
1) to kiss the hand to (towards) one, in token of reverence
2) among the Orientals, esp. the Persians, to fall upon the knees and
touch the ground with the forehead as an expression of profound
reverence
3) in the NT by kneeling or prostration to do homage (to one) or make
obeisance, whether in order to express respect or to make supplication
3a) used of homage shown to men and beings of superior rank
3a1) to the Jewish high priests
3a2) to God
3a3) to Christ
3a4) to heavenly beings
3a5) to demons

Check out my quote. What was John Chrétien doing? Kissing the hand. Worshiping. What are these people doing? A Picture Says It All -by Dave Stewart

Matthew 4:9-10 9 And he said to Him, "All these things I will give You if You will fall down and worship me." 10 Then Jesus said to him, "Away with you, Satan! For it is written, 'You shall worship the LORD your God, and Him only you shall serve.'

John 14:24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.

Did you hear that. The word is not the Popes' and I hate to even put Christs' name in the same sentence. It is not Jesus', but the Fathers.

Catholic writings, quotes and catechisms, councils, etc.

"We confess that the Pope has power of changing Scripture and of adding to it, and taking from it, according to his will.(112, 128, 144) Roman Catholic Confessions for Protestants Oath, Article XI, (Confessio Romano-Catholica in Hungaria Evangelicis publice praescripta te proposita, editi a Streitwolf), as recorded in Congressional Record of the U.S.A., House Bill 1523, Contested election case of Eugene C. Bonniwell, against Thos. S. Butler, Feb. 15, 1913.

"All names which in the Scriptures are applied to Christ, by virtue of which it is established that He is over the church, all the same names are applied to the Pope."
(112, 128, 144)"]On the Authority of the Councils, book 2, chapter 17

"The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth."
Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, "Cities Petrus Bertanous".

"...the Pope is as it were God on earth, sole sovereign of the faithful of Christ, chief of kings, having plenitude of power."
Lucius Ferraris, in "Prompta Bibliotheca Canonica, Juridica, Moralis, Theologica, Ascetica, Polemica, Rubristica, Historica", Volume V, article on "Papa, Article II", titled "Concerning the extent of Papal dignity, authority, or dominion and infallibility", #1, 5, 13-15, 18, published in Petit-Montrouge (Paris) by J. P. Migne, 1858 edition.

Writers on the Canon Law say, "The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in heaven and earth."
Barclay Cap. XXVII, p. 218. Cities Petrus Bertrandus, Pius V. - Cardinal Cusa supports his statement.

The list goes on:

AntiChristPope: POPE CLAIMS TO BE GOD ON EARTH

About the Pope
Well I can see that this discussion could go on and on. All I know is that since I converted three years ago to the Catholic Church I feel closer to God, spend more time in prayer, and actually have learned to live a full, rich life with Jesus Christ at the center of my life. If the Catholic Church is so evil, then I can't imagine why since having joined the Church my life has turned so much closer to Christ. Hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM

348 posts, read 557,707 times
Default Catholicism, the one way to God? or is there many ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_spirit View Post
Well I can see that this discussion could go on and on. All I know is that since I converted three years ago to the Catholic Church I feel closer to God, spend more time in prayer, and actually have learned to live a full, rich life with Jesus Christ at the center of my life. If the Catholic Church is so evil, then I can't imagine why since having joined the Church my life has turned so much closer to Christ. Hmmm...
Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;

James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

What is that one spirit?
It is truth.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way [that seems] right to a man, But its end [is] the way of death.

Fair enough. Stay where your most comfortable. Difference is, following Christ takes a conviction that most do not want to accept. This is a position that is not to comfortable for people in the world. Satan offers a smorgasbord of watered down choices that help the masses to be more docile and tolerant in our cesspool of religious denominations.

Question to Catholics. Was Peter the first Pope, and was he married?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:47 PM

224 posts, read 414,764 times
Quote:

Oh oh oh can I answer.

No Peter was not the first pope

Mat 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.
Mat 8:15 And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 PM

348 posts, read 557,707 times
Default answer to Peter marriage first Pope

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxGreyFalconxx View Post
Oh oh oh can I answer.

No Peter was not the first pope

Mat 8:14 And when Jesus was come into Peter's house, he saw his wife's mother laid, and sick of a fever.
Mat 8:15 And he touched her hand, and the fever left her: and she arose, and ministered unto them.
Hey xxGreyFalconxx, no fair, you read the bible.

Wow. See, my Catholic buddies, that wasn't so hard. Or maybe I'm missing something. This somehow just seems too simple. I could be getting too confident so by all means give some input here. Or give me the Pope's phone number.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 AM

90 posts, read 185,547 times
Quote:
Hey xxGreyFalconxx, no fair, you read the bible.

Wow. See, my Catholic buddies, that wasn't so hard. Or maybe I'm missing something. This somehow just seems too simple. I could be getting too confident so by all means give some input here. Or give me the Pope's phone number.
What does Peter having a mother-in-law have to do with whether he was the first Pope or not? I love how non-Catholics tell us Catholics what the bible means. Here's my analogy...

A man grows up listening to the Beatles when they were actually around and knows everything about them. His son comes along (after the band breaks up and many years have passed of course) and tries to tell his dad everything about the Beatles. "Yes son, I know, I was there." Kinda like the Catholic Church telling Protestants, "Yes, we were there and with the help of the Holy Spirit have defined what the bible is and what it means."

Old 05-30-2008, 03:48 PM

224 posts, read 414,764 times
Quote:
What does Peter having a mother-in-law have to do with whether he was the first Pope or not? I love how non-Catholics tell us Catholics what the bible means."

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought that one was obvious.....

The RCC teaches popes cant be married.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,619,573 times
Quote:
What does Peter having a mother-in-law have to do with whether he was the first Pope or not? I love how non-Catholics tell us Catholics what the bible means. Here's my analogy...

A man grows up listening to the Beatles when they were actually around and knows everything about them. His son comes along (after the band breaks up and many years have passed of course) and tries to tell his dad everything about the Beatles. "Yes son, I know, I was there." Kinda like the Catholic Church telling Protestants, "Yes, we were there and with the help of the Holy Spirit have defined what the bible is and what it means."
Remember the Protestants on this thread are primarily Baptists & do not represent the teachings of the overwhelming majority of Christians. I believe insecurity in the faith provokes attacks on fellow Christians.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:02 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxGreyFalconxx View Post
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought that one was obvious.....

The RCC teaches popes cant be married.

FYI:

there have been many married Popes throughout history.
married men still can become priests. for example a married anglican priest recently joined the RCC and became an ordained priest. single men on the other hand however, decide to either marry a woman, or the church.
doctrine regarding married/celibate preists has changed over the millienium, and will most likely continue to do so.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:53 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Yes and yes.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 PM

22,934 posts, read 28,318,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
wrote a bunch of stuff
Preterist,

I had a big, long post in response to yours, then my Internet Explore shut down, losing all my info. I just don’t have the mental energy to retype it all, and honestly, we’re beginning to re-hash points we already discussed pages and pages ago. I feel like we’re arguing in circles, and there’s no point to that.

You have a lot of very good points, and I’m very impressed with your willingness and openness to discuss. Good for you!

That being said, you aren’t telling me anything I haven’t already heard a hundred times, and none of them are points I didn’t thoroughly consider in my own conversion. You’ve raised some great points, and there are folks out there much smarter than me who do a better job in answering them than I ever could. If you are honestly open to learning more about what the Church really teaches and not what anti-Catholic authors claim the Church teaches, may I suggest you start with this book:

Amazon.com: By What Authority?: An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition: Mark P. Shea: Books

It is written by a former Evangelical who discovered the truth of the Catholic faith. If you find it helpful, you also might try this one:

Amazon.com: Making Senses Out of Scripture: Reading the Bible As the First Christians Did: Mark P. Shea: Books

God bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity