Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 04:40 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I have to disagree. They don't understand, they have no way of understanding, but they do have the opportunity to understand.
You are not talking about understanding. To a rational person, the idea that they must somehow believe irrational things because they are deficient in some way (called a sinner) is not asking them to understand. It is asking them to become irrational, like you. That is a different matter entirely than understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 04:50 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,322,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You really should listen to what some of the atheists have to say about their experiences. We have seversl who were devoted Christians for many, many years. They probably understand your religion better than most of you do.
I definitely understand that circumstances in life can and do cause some to depart from the faith. That is exactly where the misunderstanding comes in. The misunderstanding is on the part of the one who departed, not God. The relationship that should have been there, was not there, for whatever reason, again, the fault of the departed.

Those who have never known Christ have no way of understanding the Word of God. Only God can give the correct understanding, without a relationship with Him, there is no knowledge of God, other than that of the God given conscience.

I listen to atheists, have always listen to them. They have some great stories, but I don't step back from god to do it. My conversation will lead to God, most refuse but some accept and their lives are changed.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are not talking about understanding. To a rational person, the idea that they must somehow believe irrational things because they are deficient in some way (called a sinner) is not asking them to understand. It is asking them to become irrational, like you. That is a different matter entirely than understanding.
Rational has nothing to do with it. "If you reject me before man, I will reject you before my Father."

I didn't say that, Jesus did. Why are so many angry with me? This is a Christian site, if you don't believe it or don't want to hear it, just tune it out.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:08 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Rational has nothing to do with it. "If you reject me before man, I will reject you before my Father."

I didn't say that, Jesus did. Why are so many angry with me? This is a Christian site, if you don't believe it or don't want to hear it, just tune it out.
This is a sub-forum about Christianity for everyone to discuss Christianity - not just for Christians or for certain types of Christians

Christianity is very diverse and everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions, beliefs and to voice them

Old 12-27-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I am a Christian, Charlie. But I don't believe all the irrational things you do and I don't think anyone has to in order to follow Christ as our Savior. In my view, sin is not some original "stain" on my soul or Spirit. It is simply NOT achieving what God wants us to achieve OR achieving what God does NOT want us to achieve. That is called "missing the mark." Our entire human species has been "missing the mark" since our very beginnings. That is why Jesus was needed as a human to PERFECTLY achieve what we were NOT achieving (and still do not, only imperfectly). What Jesus ACHIEVED is what saved our entire species, NOT only those who believe specific things ABOUT God and Jesus. Men created those "precepts and doctrines of men" in the religions, NOT God or Jesus.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I am a Christian, Charlie. But I don't believe all the irrational things you do and I don't think anyone has to in order to follow Christ as our Savior. In my view, sin is not some original "stain" on my soul or Spirit. It is simply NOT achieving what God wants us to achieve OR achieving what God does NOT want us to achieve. That is called "missing the mark." Our entire human species has been "missing the mark" since our very beginnings. That is why Jesus was needed as a human to PERFECTLY achieve what we were NOT achieving (and still do not, only imperfectly). What Jesus ACHIEVED is what saved our entire species, NOT only those who believe specific things ABOUT God and Jesus. Men created those "precepts and doctrines of men" in the religions, NOT God or Jesus.
Funny you should mention what Jesus has done for us. it was our sin that hung Him on that cross.

I'm not going to skip around that in conversation to atheists, or skip around anything else concerning the things of Christ because you think it's irrational.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Funny you should mention what Jesus has done for us. it was our sin that hung Him on that cross.

I'm not going to skip around that in conversation to atheists, or skip around anything else concerning the things of Christ because you think it's irrational.
Then don't expect to be taken seriously in those forums, or as anything but a nuisance.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:42 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Some people think everything comes from Jesus/God so no belief equals none of those things. I've been told I don't understand what love is because I am an atheist. That's just what they believe.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Yes, I prefer to read the description as "Jesus died "because of" our sins (ignorance and savagery) NOT "for" our sins (as in payment or penalty for our sins). The God of agape love Jesus revealed and unambiguously demonstrated would not need any such horrendous scourging and crucifixion to forgive us for ANYTHING!
Quote:
To each his own, Charlie. I can't believe things that are NOT rational to me.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Some people think everything comes from Jesus/God so no belief equals none of those things. I've been told I don't understand what love is because I am an atheist. That's just what they believe.
That is preposterous, L8. That is what is called irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity