Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 08:31 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,384,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
I tell you what does it for me maam, is fulfilled prophecy. Jesus gave the signs of his receiving Kingship, which would usher this world into it's last days, take a gander at those prophecies found in (Luke 21:10, 11) 10 Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. 11 There will be great earthquakes, and in one place after another food shortages and pestilences; and there will be fearful sights and from heaven great signs.

Right now we are in a pandemic (pestilences). Many people who do not believe in God see these things going on in the world.

Note this passage as well: (2 Timothy 3:1-5) . . .know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5 having an appearance of godliness but proving false to its power; and from these turn away.

Just like reading a newspaper. We believe we are very close to the return of Christ maam. Now is the time to recognize Jehovah's people and go with them Zech 8:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religious fanaticism - there have always been everything you mentioned, nothing new under the sun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Do you have to start an argument? How is this helping the OP who is not sure she is an atheist any longer and wanted to talk about it?

Although I'm not sure why she hasn't come back to the thread.
I wasn't addressing the Original Poster? Rather, the one who claims his group is the only acceptable Christian Organization; and all others, consist of false teachers? If you do not belong to the Jehovah witnesses ...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 AM

45,599 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
As I've read your posts and exchanges with MWay, I keep coming back to your OP and reflecting on how familiar this sounds with others I've encountered (in 30-40-years of 'street' ministry), who 'came to Christ' later in life. What you are describing is the movement of the Holy Spirit drawing you to God through Jesus Christ. The question is, Will you listen and respond this time ... or rationalize it away (aka: "rational lies"). Keep in mind that every time we say "no" or "not now" in our Spirit, we render ourselves a little less able to hear God the next time He calls. [There are many here on CD who will encourage the latter, but, don't listen to them].

If you want to further reconcile your science and analytical brain with Scripture, take a look at the content on ucanknowthetruth.com -- The world has largely suppressed available Bible/Christ-supporting empirical evidence in the areas of archaeology, literature, prophecy, science and others. You can check it out for free by drilling down into each of the 10 verifiable areas of proof.

If you would like to pursue this further, please send a DM on this board. - In Christ, John
The underlined is the salient point with the OP. God is obviously drawing him/her to Himself. Hopefully the OP will let Him in.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:23 AM

33,286 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I wasn't addressing the Original Poster? Rather, the one who claims his group is the only acceptable Christian Organization; and all others, consist of false teachers? If you do not belong to the Jehovah witnesses ...?
I know you weren't addressing the original poster. But you intended to start an argument with Highway on a thread in which the OP expressed a desire to discuss 'A Case for Christ' and I'm sure that you starting an argument on the thread is not what she had in mind.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:13 PM

11,117 posts, read 7,184,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I'm an atheist. Except I don't think I am anymore. The last few months I've been feeling something calling in my heart. Ive done a lot of soul searching and also tried to ignore this nagging feeling of something (someone?) Calling to me. It has not gone away or abated. Its gotten stronger.

This week I ordered a KJV study Bible and The Case for Christ.
That sounds good, and would be the holy spirit. That sounds very similar to me decades ago. However, I wouldn't recommend the KJV. That's a poor translation from old England, and will only lead to problems of wording that doesn't need to be there. Talking like Shakespeare offers not advantage in 21st America.

A good modern English translation like the English Standard Version (ESV) will serve you infinitely better. Or better yet, just get the Gospels and stay with only what Jesus talked and discussed. The great majority of the Bible is extraneous to that.

I'm not familiar with The Case For Christ, but modern writers won't have anything on the previously mentioned text.

The biggest action though has nothing to do with bibles, books, and churches. And that is: prayer and meditation. If you only have one thing, that's it. But the Gospels will give you good reference, so those two should put you in good shape.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:18 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That sounds good, and would be the holy spirit. That sounds very similar to me decades ago. However, I wouldn't recommend the KJV. That's a poor translation from old England, and will only lead to problems of wording that doesn't need to be there. Talking like Shakespeare offers not advantage in 21st America.

A good modern English translation like the English Standard Version (ESV) will serve you infinitely better. Or better yet, just get the Gospels and stay with only what Jesus talked and discussed. The great majority of the Bible is extraneous to that.

I'm not familiar with The Case For Christ, but modern writers won't have anything on the previously mentioned text.

The biggest action though has nothing to do with bibles, books, and churches. And that is: prayer and meditation. If you only have one thing, that's it. But the Gospels will give you good reference, so those two should put you in good shape.
Yep, good starting point

Old 01-25-2021, 03:11 PM

33,286 posts, read 26,494,624 times
I guess the OP changed her mind about wanting to talk.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:10 PM

1,301 posts, read 666,964 times
"The Case For Christ" was an okay book -- I read the book in conjunction with Bart Ehrman's "Jesus Interrupted", and I felt like Ehrman's material was much stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity