Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:22 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Declaring something is forgiven is not the same as forgiving. Christians can declare that one is forgiven in Christ, but it's Jesus doing the forgiving.
^ This is an important distinction.

As Catholics however, we do believe that Jesus works through the person of the Priest to not only declare one's sins forgiven, but to actually forgive them.

Though God uses human actors to carry out His will and dispense His graces, the credit always goes to God as all good things come from Him alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 01:10 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,324,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

As Catholics however, we do believe that Jesus works through the person of the Priest to not only declare one's sins forgiven, but to actually forgive them.

Though God uses human actors to carry out His will and dispense His graces, the credit always goes to God as all good things come from Him alone!
That is a wagon load of horse poop!

John 20:23

"Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained."

If that person accepted Christ as Saviour, the Apostles could declare their sins forgiven.

If that person did not accept Christ as Saviour, the Apostles could warn him his sins were not forgiven.

They did not have the power to forgive any sin, period!

Lord have mercy, now the RCC has the power to forgive or not forgive sin!

Old 06-28-2021, 01:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:

And as non-Catholic Christian I believe what God has said in the Bible that only God forgives sin. And Jesus is our High Priest. He gave himself as a one-time sacrifice for sins, then sat down, as no more work, and no more forgiveness was needed. Once and for all, those that trust in Jesus are forgiven. We don't need to be forgiven each week, time after time.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:50 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
I find No Bible record in which any apostle listened to a private confession and pronounced absolution.
The requirements for being forgiven by God is set out in the Bible as to whether God had forgiven or not.
Direction comes down from Heaven and Not the other way around.
This would be in line with what Jesus taught at Matthew 18:15-17.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
And as non-Catholic Christian I believe what God has said in the Bible that only God forgives sin. And Jesus is our High Priest. He gave himself as a one-time sacrifice for sins, then sat down, as no more work, and no more forgiveness was needed. Once and for all, those that trust in Jesus are forgiven. We don't need to be forgiven each week, time after time.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
I find No Bible record in which any apostle listened to a private confession and pronounced absolution.
Should you have?

Quote:
The requirements for being forgiven by God is set out in the Bible as to whether God had forgiven or not.
The requirement is that we confess our sins.

1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Quote:
Direction comes down from Heaven and Not the other way around.
Who has suggested otherwise?

Quote:
This would be in line with what Jesus taught at Matthew 18:15-17.
What is "the church" in verse 17?

Old 06-28-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
And as non-Catholic Christian I believe what God has said in the Bible that only God forgives sin.
Of course only God forgives sin. It's also true that Jesus gave his disciples the power to forgive sin. How do we reconcile that?

By the way, we Catholics do believe the Bible. You just interpret it differently from us. I really wish you would stop accusing Catholics of disbelieving the Bible. You know better than that.

Quote:
And Jesus is our High Priest. He gave himself as a one-time sacrifice for sins
Yes...

Quote:
then sat down, as no more work, and no more forgiveness was needed. Once and for all, those that trust in Jesus are forgiven. We don't need to be forgiven each week, time after time.
^ Here's where you done gone off the rails...

Old 06-28-2021, 02:08 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
In my church (Presbyterian), in Sunday worship, we read a standard confession of sins and then the pastor says, “I declare that you are forgiven”.
But can a pastor actually forgive your sins after you read a confession of sin?
I see that Jesus gave the disciples the power to do that, in John 20:22-23. But that was Jesus giving that authority to specific people.
Further, there are many Bible verses that emphasize the need to repent to be forgiven. And even if repentance is not necessary, simply reading a confession of sin doesn’t necessarily show any faith or contriteness of heart; it’s just a reading.
So…are the members of my church all forgiven every Sunday morning when the pastor says we are?.........
At John 20:22 I find is Not about forgiveness but about the receiving of God's holy spirit upon them.
When God's spirit arrived (Acts 2:2; Acts 2:4) those present had received the gift of being able to immediately speak in a foreign language in order to help spread the good news of God's kingdom message to everyone there.
Jesus was sending them (John 20:21) out to do as he instructed at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8; John 17:18.
So, yes at John 20:23 was specific to the apostles, and No one-on-one confession and absolution ever presented by them.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:15 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Quote:
Of course only God forgives sin. It's also true that Jesus gave his disciples the power to forgive sin. How do we reconcile that?

By the way, we Catholics do believe the Bible. You just interpret it differently from us. I really wish you would stop accusing Catholics of disbelieving the Bible. You know better than that.

Yes...

^ Here's where you done gone off the rails...
I agree mike

There is a need for “man” to work and help and share and forgive each other, each in their own orders

We have need of daily things as we live day to day

Mat 6:10**Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11**Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12**And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13**And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:15 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,168,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
In my church (Presbyterian), in Sunday worship, we read a standard confession of sins and then the pastor says, “I declare that you are forgiven”.

But can a pastor actually forgive your sins after you read a confession of sin?

I see that Jesus gave the disciples the power to do that, in John 20:22-23. But that was Jesus giving that authority to specific people.

Further, there are many Bible verses that emphasize the need to repent to be forgiven. And even if repentance is not necessary, simply reading a confession of sin doesn’t necessarily show any faith or contriteness of heart; it’s just a reading.

So…are the members of my church all forgiven every Sunday morning when the pastor says we are?

I don’t think so, but I welcome others’ views.
Jesus took away the sins of the world at the cross..........but only those who appropriate the free gift of grace will benefit from it...........you do that by faith and the gospel.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity