Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 03:34 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times

Advertisements

Pastor can forgive sin as long as this exercise is in the witness of Jesus Father God .... So if the Pastor sins, or gets to busy for God to Pray then He should pass on confession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 03:34 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Scripture doesn't teach that.
Was David "saved" when he penned Psalm 51?

Old 06-28-2021, 03:39 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Scripture doesn't teach that. Scripture teaches us that we are born again into Jesus, and that we are adopted as sons. He'd no more cast us out than you'd cast out your own child. It's not about what we've done lately. It's about what God did once.
Clearly it DOES:
Luke 17:3–4 “If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him;
and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, and says, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him
.”

Old 06-28-2021, 03:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Do you interpret Jesus "sitting down at the right hand of God" to mean that Jesus is literally just sitting down and doing nothing?
What do you believe the author of Hebrews was doing by mentioning how every priest stands and offers sacrifices daily? Did a priest ever sit down in the temple? No. Because he was there to work. His job was never done. But when Jesus sat down, his work was done.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Clearly it DOES:
Luke 17:3–4 “If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him;
and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, and says, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him
.”
So you believe I have the ability to send another to hell when he offends me? That's bizarre.

Or maybe Luke 17 wasn't about us having to be forgiven by God over and over and over again. He adopts those that believe in Jesus. If you have trusted in Jesus you're a child of God. He won't toss you out.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:48 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
So you believe I have the ability to send another to hell when he offends me? That's bizarre.

Or maybe Luke 17 wasn't about us having to be forgiven by God over and over and over again. He adopts those that believe in Jesus. If you have trusted in Jesus you're a child of God. He won't toss you out.
'Forgive us our sins, as we forgive others';
You pray it too every time you pray the Lords prayer:
or do you not pray that one either?
Why did Jesus teach us to say that, instead of 'thankyou lord for already forgiving all the sins that I will ever sin' as YOU suggest?

Old 06-28-2021, 03:51 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
What do you believe the author of Hebrews was doing by mentioning how every priest stands and offers sacrifices daily? Did a priest ever sit down in the temple? No. Because he was there to work. His job was never done. But when Jesus sat down, his work was done.
Even if we grant that the work of Jesus is done (and there is a sense in which I'd agree with you that His work is done), it doesn't follow that man's work is done...

Old 06-28-2021, 03:53 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:
Even if we grant that the work of Jesus is done (and there is a sense in which I'd agree with you that His work is done), it doesn't follow that man's work is done...
correct, the head is finished, the feet just need to catch up.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Scripture doesn't teach us that salvation is by God's work plus man's work. It's God alone.

What you're advocating for is synergism, meaning that we have to work with God to accomplish salvation. I believe the Bible teaches monergism, meaning that it's of God alone.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
'Forgive us our sins, as we forgive others';
You pray it too every time you pray the Lords prayer:
or do you not pray that one either?
Why did Jesus teach us to say that, instead of 'thankyou lord for already forgiving all the sins that I will ever sin' as YOU suggest?
Check out the Greek behind that. The point of it is that as we forgive those of MINOR offenses to us, God forgives us of all our sins. He's not watching and waiting for us to forgive in order to be forgiven, nor is he waiting for us to recite a scripted passage in order to forgive. Salvation is entirely of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity