Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 04:35 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Scripture doesn't teach us that salvation is by God's work plus man's work. It's God alone.

What you're advocating for is synergism, meaning that we have to work with God to accomplish salvation. I believe the Bible teaches monergism, meaning that it's of God alone.
actually scripture clearly demonstrates that man always has a (very small) part to play in God's workings, otherwise man is just a slave. John 15:15
the blind man only had to wash off the mud,
the woman at the well need only to ask for living water,
the Israelites need only gather their daily bread (manna)
and just mark their dwellings with blood of a lamb to be passed over,
the servants at the wedding at Cana had only to fill the jars with water;
the examples are countless, and no doubt are acts of faith,
even Paul shows that one plants, another waters, yet it's God who sees to the 'growing';
and like a mustard seed, though miniscule and seemingly 'inconsequential', are not 'nothing'.
Jesus even says 'ask and you will receive'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 04:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Scripture doesn't teach us that salvation is by God's work plus man's work. It's God alone.

What you're advocating for is synergism, meaning that we have to work with God to accomplish salvation. I believe the Bible teaches monergism, meaning that it's of God alone.
Quote:
Check out the Greek behind that. The point of it is that as we forgive those of MINOR offenses to us, God forgives us of all our sins. He's not watching and waiting for us to forgive in order to be forgiven, nor is he waiting for us to recite a scripted passage in order to forgive. Salvation is entirely of him.
How is it that you understand this and yet maintain what we do or do not believe is what determines whether or not we are saved. Either Jesus saved us alone or we have to accept some of the credit with Him. It is one or the other.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:43 PM

10,027 posts, read 4,963,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
....... Either Jesus saved us alone or we have to accept some of the credit with Him. It is one or the other.
Just as Jesus said at Matthew 24:13 the one who endures to the end is: saved.
Endures in listening and following Jesus as our model or example to follow - 1st Peter 2:21
So, yes ' Jesus saves ' but a person can turn one's back on being saved - Hebrews 6:4-6; Hebrews 10:26

Old 06-28-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Scripture doesn't teach that. Scripture teaches us that we are born again into Jesus, and that we are adopted as sons. He'd no more cast us out than you'd cast out your own child. It's not about what we've done lately. It's about what God did once.
What about a prodigal son ?
We can remove oneself and loose out on one's salvation - Hebrews 6:4-6; Hebrews 10:26; Matthew 12:32.
Paul was born again into Jesus but Paul knew what was important at 1st Corinthians 9:27 so as Not be a castaway.
The warning is given at 1st Corinthians 10:12_____________________________________________ _____________

Old 06-28-2021, 04:52 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Just as Jesus said at Matthew 24:13 the one who endures to the end is: saved.
Endures in listening and following Jesus as our model or example to follow - 1st Peter 2:21
So, yes ' Jesus saves ' but a person can turn one's back on being saved - Hebrews 6:4-6; Hebrews 10:26
Illogical, irrational nonsense!!! Either Jesus is the Savior and HE ALONE has saved us all or we are "Co-Saviors" with Jesus, one or the other.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Nor do we want to make up doctrine where Scripture provides no support. There is no evidence in Scriptures of the apostles believing they could absolve sins. It didn't die out with the disciples because they never taught it. It just didn't happen. We don't see them doing it in Acts, or mentioning it in the letters to the churches.
I grew up Catholic. One thing the Catholic church did was instill in me a sense that the Bible is God's Word. On the other hand, I do believe that it has strayed from what God's Word says. They seem to value Tradition more than Scripture. I find that sad. ..................
Yes, I too felt the Catholic church instilled that the Bible is God's Word, but strayed from what it says.
Yes, Church tradition or church customs is valued more than Scripture - Matthew 15:9

Instead of following the instructions found at 1 Corinthian 5:9-13 they looked the other way.
It cost the church a lot of money to defend the wayward priests.
At that time one Catholic told me that he knew his faith was being tested.
Was it tested faith in the church instead of the Bible's recommendation.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:05 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
In my church (Presbyterian), in Sunday worship, we read a standard confession of sins and then the pastor says, “I declare that you are forgiven”.
Has he changed his name yet to Pastor Jesus Christ? Seriously though, he sounds like a really sick individual.

A lot of people play God (judging others, etc.) But people also play Jesus.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-28-2021 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-28-2021, 05:06 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,320,726 times
Quote:
Illogical, irrational nonsense!!! Either Jesus is the Savior and HE ALONE has saved us all or we are "Co-Saviors" with Jesus, one or the other.
You haven't received all of your salvation in this life, Mystic.

That won't happen until the resurrection.

Paul told us the Holy Spirit is only the down payment on our salvation.

Your salvation is not complete, do you know why?

Old 06-28-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I suppose it is who are the ' we ' because No one was offered to govern with Jesus who died before Jesus - John 3:13.
Jesus saves them via the future resurrection (Acts 24:15) saves back to live life on Earth again.
What they do after they are resurrected will determine everlasting salvation, everlasting life on Earth.
The ones called to heaven are Not co-saviors, but will have two (2) heavenly jobs to do as kings and priests over earthly subjects. - Rev. 5:9-10; 2:10; 20:6

Old 06-28-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
You haven't received all of your salvation in this life, Mystic.
That won't happen until the resurrection.
Paul told us the Holy Spirit is only the down payment on our salvation...........
I like how you say down payment because we are to beware we don't fall - 1st Corinthians 10:12; 9:27.
Yes, for the dead it is resurrection (Acts 24:15)
But I find for the living, those alive on Earth, at the soon coming 'time of separation' found at Matthew 25:31-33,37 their ' salvation ' (deliverance / rescue) will be to come through 'alive' during the great tribulation of Rev. 7:14,9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity