Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2021, 07:03 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,323,729 times

Advertisements

While I was in the Army they sent us to Italy to do a little rock climbing. After a month of training we all received a three day pass, I had never been to Rome and there was something there I wanted to see, Mamertine Prison.

This is where history tells us that the Apostle Paul wrote his last epistle, 2 Timothy, while waiting for his execution. Nero had just sentenced him to death.

As I stood there in the lower cell where he supposedly was kept, I pulled out my pocket New Testament Bible and read the final words of the great apostle.

2 Tim. 4:6-8,

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

I had hired a guide and for 2 days I went on a tour to see the sights of Rome, but nothing could even come close to what I had experienced at Mamertine Prison!

https://www.bibleplaces.com/mamertine-prison/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
That must have been quite an experience. Paul was in my opinion the greatest hero of the Christian faith---the greatest of the apostles and chosen by Jesus to take the Gospel to the Gentiles. I can imagine the atmosphere inside that prison knowing that Paul had once been imprisoned there.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:28 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
While I was in the Army they sent us to Italy to do a little rock climbing. After a month of training we all received a three day pass, I had never been to Rome and there was something there I wanted to see, Mamertine Prison.

This is where history tells us that the Apostle Paul wrote his last epistle, 2 Timothy, while waiting for his execution. Nero had just sentenced him to death.

As I stood there in the lower cell where he supposedly was kept, I pulled out my pocket New Testament Bible and read the final words of the great apostle.

2 Tim. 4:6-8,

"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."

I had hired a guide and for 2 days I went on a tour to see the sights of Rome, but nothing could even come close to what I had experienced at Mamertine Prison!

https://www.bibleplaces.com/mamertine-prison/
How old were you at the time? And, how long had/have you been a Christian?

Old 07-07-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
That must have been quite an experience. Paul was in my opinion the greatest hero of the Christian faith---the greatest of the apostles and chosen by Jesus to take the Gospel to the Gentiles. I can imagine the atmosphere inside that prison knowing that Paul had once been imprisoned there.
No doubt in my mind either, Mike. Paul was the greatest of them all.

I left that place with even more respect for the man.

I didn't think that could have been possible.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:13 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
God did warn Paul to leave Jerusalem now as they are coming for Him, but Paul took His time and then got arrested ....... So God did change His plans and Paul spread the gospel from a prison in Rome ............ I don't know how many times God told me to do something and I reasoned the idea out and then after I got into trouble ..... Glory to God

Old 07-07-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God did warn Paul to leave Jerusalem now as they are coming for Him, but Paul took His time and then got arrested ....... So God did change His plans and Paul spread the gospel from a prison in Rome ............ I don't know how many times God told me to do something and I reasoned the idea out and then after I got into trouble ..... Glory to God
Yes, Paul always took his time. I remember as Luke was writing the books of Acts he said of Paul, and he was in hast, if it were possible for him.

He wasn't afraid of what was coming his way, he was very thorough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity