Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 09:48 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times

Advertisements

In a small church with no deacons or elders is the pastor in complete control? and who gets control of the money if he decides to sell the church building and lease a much lesser building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 09:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
In a small church with no deacons or elders is the pastor in complete control? and who gets control of the money if he decides to sell the church building and lease a much lesser building?
I'm in a small church. The state sees us as a nonprofit, and it's controlled by a board. The Trustees are responsible for the building. The pastor has authorization to spend $100 but if he goes above that he has to get permission from the Trustees. If it goes over $500 we have a congregational meeting and vote.

In a previous church we didn't have deacons, but we did have a board. I'm guessing that even in the smallest church, there is usually a board of some kind. I think the state requires it if it's a nonprofit.

In many churches, the denomination owns it. But rarely does the pastor have sole authority and ownership.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:28 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,927 times
If your church is registeted as a non profit thwn , as Bapristfundi statez it is probably govsrned under youd Stat es laws and best to contact your State s non profit govderning body for better info than you get o n a forum.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:15 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
Yes the lead pastor hardly ever has control or even sees the money coming in, and the Pastor may have a fund with to attract charity for some mission, and that would be it ....... So if the Pastor sells the church building, then He should pay tithes from the sell .... All that I could see is the church may need major repairs and may be an older building, so paying rent for a building may be cheaper in the short term ..... Best to pray and ask God what church do you need me at

Old 07-24-2021, 11:52 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
In our Episcopal parish, the Diocese owns the building.

The priest or rector would not make the decision to sell the building, the Diocese would.

Old 07-24-2021, 03:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
I know a Pastor who owned the building, his credit cards (travel) was paid by the congregation as well as building expenses and his salary. When he decided to leave, he sold the building for three times the amount which equated to a few million. All of which went into his pocket. Anytime he needed something done in the Church - it was always completed at the expense of the volunteers - who believed they were serving a higher purpose - his calling?

"In the beginning the church was a fellowship of men and women centering on the living Christ. Then the church moved to Greece, where it became a philosophy. Then it moved to Rome, where it became an institution. Next it moved to Europe where it became a culture, and, finally, it moved to America where it became an enterprise."

Last edited by Jerwade; 07-24-2021 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-24-2021, 04:04 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
It’s usually the Trustees. That’s the case at my church, which has several thousand members.

Old 07-24-2021, 04:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It’s usually the Trustees. That’s the case at my church, which has several thousand members.
Whether a group of people who are authorized to act as a single entity or an individual - it's still a single entity.

Or, if you prefer a corporation/business or company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity