Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 01:12 PM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The significance of that passage is that Jesus quotes Psalm 82:6. There appears to be a controversy as to what "the Ye are Gods" in Psalm 82 were referring to. I've found some interesting links on the net regarding that verse. It appears that there are four possible explanations and scholars don't necessarily agree as to which one is accurate.

This was interesting if you care to wade through it.

https://www3.nd.edu/~jneyrey1/Gods.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I hold to the minority view that Psalm 82:6 ''you are gods'' is not referring to men but to the other elohim (gods) of God's divine counsel. Old Testament scholar Michael Heiser holds to this view as well, and for very good reasons.

Naked Bible Podcast 109 — John 10, Gods Or Men?

There is Psalm 82:6, and John 10:34-36 to review the context of each and determine what it means. I am OK with where I am at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 01:44 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
How can you know this, especially Ephesians citing the "love of Christ" and still remain mired in your wrath and vengeance mindset thinking you are one Spirit with Jesus and God?????? You really need to stop believing everything written by men and focus on what was revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus as God's Holy Spirit of agape LOVE!!!!!
Again, I believe that it is a God who is both loving and just who will not allow a murderer to go free so that he will be able to murder once again.

If you think that even being confined to a prison is not suffering, then you do not understand judgment.

Proverbs 28:5.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:04 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There is Psalm 82:6, and John 10:34-36 to review the context of each and determine what it means. I am OK with where I am at.
Your view, that 'you are gods' refers to men is the majority view among scholars, but it doesn't hold up. Psalm 82 refers to God's divine counsel which is in the heavens.
Psalm 82:1 Elohim has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the elohim he holds judgment:
The divine council, (the heavenly beings) is in the heavens. The last time I checked there weren't a bunch of Jewish guys in the heavens forming a divine council.
Psalm 89:5 The heavens praise your wonders, LORD, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones. 6] For who in the skies can be compared to the LORD? Who among the heavenly beings is like the LORD,
The Hebrew Bible has more than just those two verses to extablish the existence of a divine council. The 'other gods' of which the Bible speaks are the created angelic type beings. God doesn't need a divine council but he chooses to have and utilize one to carry out divine purposes.

But I understand that you prefer to hold to the majority view. If, however, you are interested, the video I posted goes into more detail than I provided above. If you aren't interested, that's up to you. I didn't intend to start a debate on the matter.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-30-2021 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 02:46 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Again, I believe that it is a God who is both loving and just who will not allow a murderer to go free so that he will be able to murder once again.
If you think that even being confined to a prison is not suffering, then you do not understand judgment.
Proverbs 28:5.
Your lack of faith in God is your problem, JBF. God is fully capable of seeing that justice is done without your human concept of punishment by wrath and vengeance but in agape love of all involved. That is why He does not want us to use our concept of justice relying on punishment for what are only violations of God's wishes. We are stuck with our inadequate justice for our secular crimes.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:37 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,178,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
34 Jesus answered, "Is it not written in your law, "I said, you are gods'? 35 If those to whom the word of God came were called "gods'—and the scripture cannot be annulled— 36 can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, "I am God's Son'?

Notice Jesus doesn’t argue that there is more than one god. He reaffirms it because the scripture cannot be annulled.

In John 17 Jesus sanctifies His followers in truth and sends them into the world just as He states in John 10:36.

So don’t you think Jesus was saying those to whom the word of God came were also sons of God and His genuine followers are as well? I’m speaking of those sanctified in truth. And I’m not speaking of being so called adopted children.
Just means potentially Godlike, in OT 'elohim'

Old 07-30-2021, 06:23 PM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Your view, that 'you are gods' refers to men is the majority view among scholars, but it doesn't hold up. Psalm 82 refers to God's divine counsel which is in the heavens.
Psalm 82:1 Elohim has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the elohim he holds judgment:
The divine council, (the heavenly beings) is in the heavens. The last time I checked there weren't a bunch of Jewish guys in the heavens forming a divine council.
Psalm 89:5 The heavens praise your wonders, LORD, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones. 6] For who in the skies can be compared to the LORD? Who among the heavenly beings is like the LORD,
The Hebrew Bible has more than just those two verses to extablish the existence of a divine council. The 'other gods' of which the Bible speaks are the created angelic type beings. God doesn't need a divine council but he chooses to have and utilize one to carry out divine purposes.

But I understand that you prefer to hold to the majority view. If, however, you are interested, the video I posted goes into more detail than I provided above. If you aren't interested, that's up to you. I didn't intend to start a debate on the matter.
Not going to go through this too much... but verses 2-5 clearly speak of unjust judges that make unfair decisions.

Verse 1 & 8 refer to God judging the unjust judges.

I don't care about what a majority thinks - I just want to be honest and contextual with what's written.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-30-2021 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: changed 1-8 to 1 & 8 - only those two verses

Old 07-30-2021, 06:33 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
So we agree there are more sons of God as Jesus reveals.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:43 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Not going to go through this too much... but verses 2-5 clearly speak of unjust judges that make unfair decisions.

Verse 1-8 refer to God judging the unjust judges.

I don't care about what a majority thinks - I just want to be honest and contextual with what's written.
I agree Rob

Old 07-30-2021, 07:02 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

Verse 1-8 refer to God judging the unjust judges.

Yes, but those unjust judges refer to the gods to which God gave the nations when he disinherited the nations and then called Israel into existence. Those gods are angelic beings who were given control of the nations. For instance, the angel who spoke to Daniel in Daniel chapter 10 spoke of being withstood for twenty-one days by the prince of Persia until Michael (the archangel) one of the chief princes came to help him. The prince of Persia was an angel who was associated with Persia.

Psalm 82 has to be understood within the greater biblical context concerning the divine council. There are different views concerning who 'you are gods' refers to. For the reasons I given I hold to the view that Psalm 82 refers to divine beings, not men. You hold to the view that it refers to men. That view simply fails to recognize the supernatural world view of the Bible.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:49 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
So what would you do if someone came along and Quoted Jesus and God then claimed He is sanctified and sent into the world as God’s son.

Would you report him and complain to the mods or accept Him as God’s son?

Not that anyone would have the nerve to do that.

Where do you stand on it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity