Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 07:50 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Yes, but those unjust judges refer to the gods to which God gave the nations when he disinherited the nations and then called Israel into existence. Those gods are angelic beings who were given control of the nations. For instance, the angel who spoke to Daniel in Daniel chapter 10 spoke of being withstood for twenty-one days by the prince of Persia until Michael (the archangel) one of the chief princes came to help him. The prince of Persia was an angel who was associated with Persia.

Psalm 82 has to be understood within the greater biblical context concerning the divine council. There are different views concerning who 'you are gods' refers to. For the reasons I given I hold to the view that Psalm 82 refers to divine beings, not men. You hold to the view that it refers to men. That view simply fails to recognize the supernatural world view of the Bible.
The OT is prophetic, not historic- it looks forward to its fulfilling

We need to look at it from its correct perspective (Gods)

We know the Scriptures are true by the things that have happened, and for us it is over the past 2000 Millenia (2 days) that were prophecied to happen

The point of the Scriptures is looking forward to God “made” flesh, and He is heir to the kingdom, and He has the power and glory

But first he is rejected and despised by those who are His own people, who do not recognise him in his humanity

There is an overlaying that happens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 08:01 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The OT is prophetic, not historic- it looks forward to its fulfilling

We need to look at it from its correct perspective (Gods)

We know the Scriptures are true by the things that have happened, and for us it is over the past 2000 Millenia (2 days) that were prophecied to happen

The point of the Scriptures is looking forward to God “made” flesh, and He is heir to the kingdom, and He has the power and glory

But first he is rejected and despised by those who are His own people, who do not recognise him in his humanity

There is an overlaying that happens
A great deal of the OT is historic Meerkat. While much of it is embellished, Israel's history is unfolded in the pages of the Old Testament. And not everything in the Old Testament is about Jesus. Yes, there are Messianic prophecies foretelling the coming of the Messiah but not everything in the Old Testament can be said to point to Jesus.

As I noted, the Bible has a supernatural worldview and the divine council is part of that worldview.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:45 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Yes, but those unjust judges refer to the gods to which God gave the nations when he disinherited the nations and then called Israel into existence. Those gods are angelic beings who were given control of the nations. For instance, the angel who spoke to Daniel in Daniel chapter 10 spoke of being withstood for twenty-one days by the prince of Persia until Michael (the archangel) one of the chief princes came to help him. The prince of Persia was an angel who was associated with Persia.

Psalm 82 has to be understood within the greater biblical context concerning the divine council. There are different views concerning who 'you are gods' refers to. For the reasons I given I hold to the view that Psalm 82 refers to divine beings, not men. You hold to the view that it refers to men. That view simply fails to recognize the supernatural world view of the Bible.
So then how does that even make sense with Jesus quoting it in John 10? You have unjust judges casting a judgment on Jesus for blasphemy, and He refers back to Psalm 82.

Whatever - it's not a big deal.

Old 07-30-2021, 10:33 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
Quote:

You are assuming heaven is not here. Think again. The heavens declare the glory of God. Get it. I suppose not. Continue in His word and hear.

Psalm 82 says rise up O god and judge the earth. What you speak of cannot do so.

Old 07-31-2021, 05:36 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
34 Jesus answered, "Is it not written in your law, "I said, you are gods'? 35 If those to whom the word of God came were called "gods'—and the scripture cannot be annulled— 36 can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, "I am God's Son'?

Notice Jesus doesn’t argue that there is more than one god. He reaffirms it because the scripture cannot be annulled.

In John 17 Jesus sanctifies His followers in truth and sends them into the world just as He states in John 10:36.

So don’t you think Jesus was saying those to whom the word of God came were also sons of God and His genuine followers are as well? I’m speaking of those sanctified in truth. And I’m not speaking of being so called adopted children.

Throughout history God's people have been called many things, sons of God being but one title laid upon them. The anointed Christians are even referred to as the bride of Christ.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:07 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So then how does that even make sense with Jesus quoting it in John 10? You have unjust judges casting a judgment on Jesus for blasphemy, and He refers back to Psalm 82.

Whatever - it's not a big deal.
Well, actually it is a big deal because in quoting Psalm 82 Jesus was defending his claim to deity. If Psalm 82 was referring to human beings Jesus would have in effect been saying to the Jews that referring to himself as the Son of God was no big deal because you get to call yourselves gods too. That was not what Jesus was saying. Jesus was claiming to be God and telling the Jews that they get to call themselves gods too would in no way be defending Jesus' claim to be one with the Father. Jesus' quotation of Psalm 82 has to be understood within the context of Jesus' claim both before and after the quote to be God.

If you'd take the time to listen to Heiser on the video I posted he explains the various views of Psalm 82 and why the view that Psalm 82 is referring to men just doesn't work. Whether you agree with what he says or not at least you would be briefed on the various views. I'll post the video again.

Naked Bible Podcast 109 — John 10, Gods Or Men?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7QjE07i8KQ

Old 07-31-2021, 10:15 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
In the light of eternity, what difference does it make?
Does nit-picking enhance your spirit?
Does it draw you into a closer relationship with God?
The unsaved look for excuses to break down the believer to whittle him down to his own standards, he has no interest in seeking God, but avoiding Him.
Upon Jesus' temptation in the wilderness, (Matthew 4; ) Satan used scriptures to attempt to sway Jesus another way.
His love for the Father maintained His obedience.
Jesus said, "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.
Blessed is the man that hungers and thirsts after righteousness. The rightness of God's perspective.
God would be your teacher, but this you must hunger for, more than the approval of men.
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to teach in His place to this end.
In the light of eternity which do you think will impress God the more, asking His opinion or that of men?

Old 07-31-2021, 02:12 PM

11,898 posts, read 3,709,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The unsaved look for excuses to break down the believer to whittle him down to his own standards, he has no interest in seeking God, but avoiding Him.
Upon Jesus' temptation in the wilderness, (Matthew 4; ) Satan used scriptures to attempt to sway Jesus another way.
Blessed is the man that hungers and thirsts after righteousness. The rightness of God's perspective.
God would be your teacher, but this you must hunger for, more than the approval of men.
In the light of eternity which do you think will impress God the more, asking His opinion or that of men?
The information needs to be processed, and that takes co-operation which is very hard to achieve because of the natural diversity of Christianity

I agree that Ultimately all this debate does not affect our spirits, but Christians have work to do which is based on where in the body they have been placed

And part of that is enduring under the persecution/interrogation of what you believe/why you believe it and also allowing yourself to be changed in the process, To be effective in your own area

Not everyone’s place is in the “head” or a “foot” or part of the “mind” or “eye” and the bits that don’t relate to your part will not make sense to you and no amount of forcing will get you to understand.

I believe this is what we are seeing on this forum - the very natural partiality, blindness which is part of our humanity

1Co 13:8**Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9**For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10**But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11**When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12**For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13**And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

2Pe 1:3**According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4**Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5**And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6**And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7**And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8**For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9**But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:56 PM

3,220 posts, read 926,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The information needs to be processed, and that takes co-operation which is very hard to achieve because of the natural diversity of Christianity

I agree that Ultimately all this debate does not affect our spirits, but Christians have work to do which is based on where in the body they have been placed

And part of that is enduring under the persecution/interrogation of what you believe/why you believe it and also allowing yourself to be changed in the process, To be effective in your own area

Not everyone’s place is in the “head” or a “foot” or part of the “mind” or “eye” and the bits that don’t relate to your part will not make sense to you and no amount of forcing will get you to understand.

I believe this is what we are seeing on this forum - the very natural partiality, blindness which is part of our humanity

1Co 13:8**Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
1Co 13:9**For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10**But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1Co 13:11**When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1Co 13:12**For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1Co 13:13**And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

2Pe 1:3**According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4**Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5**And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6**And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7**And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8**For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9**But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
Paul was a blind man. The gods see and judge the earth.

Rise up and judge!

Seek the will of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob so you will arise.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:22 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
He provided the Holy Spirit NOT the Bible written by men. If we would follow Jesus we will TEST the Spirit of everything claimed in the Bible against God's Holy Spirit of agape love as revealed and unambiguously demonstrated by Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity