Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2021, 02:33 PM

13,627 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

It is not appropriate to fear any created thing. The worst any created thing can do is kill our body.

However, it is appropriate to fear God since He alone has the power to cast us into hell.

I believe that when John said "perfect love casteth out fear", he was talking about earthly fears. The same as Paul when he said that God has not given us a spirit of fear. There is nothing on earth we should fear, period!

None of this contradicts the reality that God ought to be feared, especially if we live in rebellion against Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2021, 04:04 PM

63,842 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It is not appropriate to fear any created thing. The worst any created thing can do is kill our body.
However, it is appropriate to fear God since He alone has the power to cast us into hell.
I believe that when John said "perfect love casteth out fear", he was talking about earthly fears. The same as Paul when he said that God has not given us a spirit of fear. There is nothing on earth we should fear, period!
None of this contradicts the reality that God ought to be feared, especially if we live in rebellion against Him.
This is such a tragic and primitive rationale that I cannot find the words even to engage with it. Sad, so very, very sad!

Old 08-22-2021, 04:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Like charlie you can't seem to distinguish self fear from the reverence/respect of God.
Evidently, his heart has become hardened.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:52 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,847,256 times
Quote:
Again charlie why do you fear standing before Him if you a covered by His blood and your sins are cast into the lake of forgetfulness?
Again, see Romans 11:20-22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Timid, fearful, or cowardly? Is there really a difference in who you damn to a false HELL?
There is a definite difference between being fearful and being cowardly.

I can have the fear of the LORD in me and yet still be very brave when it comes to battle or dangerous situations in this life.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Evidently, his heart has become hardened.
It's pretty lame when unbelievers try to throw that on believers.

That tactic usually only works when the person it is being spoken to is actually hardening their heart.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:24 PM

63,842 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
It's pretty lame when unbelievers try to throw that on believers.

That tactic usually only works when the person it is being spoken to is actually hardening their heart.
I have seldom encountered more hardened hearts than those revealed by you and Charlie. The veil over your hearts from reading the OT and Moses is about as bad as it can be.

Old 08-23-2021, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have seldom encountered more hardened hearts than those revealed by you and Charlie. The veil over your hearts from reading the OT and Moses is about as bad as it can be.
Our hearts have been molded and shaped by the truth of the Lord.

When the clay is being molded in the hands of the potter, it must remain soft.

But there comes a time when the shape that the potter is looking for has been established in the molding.

It is at this juncture that the potter places the clay into the oven and it is hardened into a beautiful vessel.

Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

What is beautiful in the Lord's sight may in fact be ugly in the sight of those whose hearts want nothing to do with Him; and vice versa (see Luke 16:15).

If a piece of clay is hardened before the proper time, while the potter is still attempting to mold and shape the vessel, it can be detrimental to the process of forming the vessel that is desired by the potter.

At that point, the exhortation of such verses as Hebrews 3:7-8, 3:15, and 4:7 are in order.

Last edited by justbyfaith; 08-23-2021 at 01:56 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 04:55 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,154 times
Quote:

Fear God, that is your message? I hope your not giving too many people life advice. Perfect love casteth out fear BUT....

Old 08-23-2021, 05:44 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Fear God, that is your message? I hope your not giving too many people life advice. Perfect love casteth out fear BUT....
It all come down to how they view God brother, if they view Him after the fashion of the pagan gods (which are tormenting and fearful gods) then they will of course fear God. However if they start to see God in a different light then the pagan gods, see Him in the light of a loving Father they would no longer fear Him but reverence Him.

What it boils down to is if you are a parent would you do the things you say God will do to that which you brought into the world?

I cannot conceive of any loving parent eternally tormenting that which they brought into the world.

Old 08-23-2021, 06:23 AM

567 posts, read 678,778 times
Quote:
It all come down to how they view God brother, if they view Him after the fashion of the pagan gods (which are tormenting and fearful gods) then they will of course fear God. However if they start to see God in a different light then the pagan gods, see Him in the light of a loving Father they would no longer fear Him but reverence Him.

What it boils down to is if you are a parent would you do the things you say God will do to that which you brought into the world?

I cannot conceive of any loving parent eternally tormenting that which they brought into the world.
I cannot tell you what hell is like other than what I have seen, heard, and experienced here, as well as others have, or what our Father does with all our souls, but I do believe that our Father can put us into an eternal sleep in which we may never wake from. I believe Christ Jesus is the new and everlasting Covenant, but what our Father did in the past, in the OT, was to be greatly feared/revered also, just as a human Father's past may be thought of as being cruel when fighting in a war, trying to teach, protect, and correct the souls of those who were once called His own people..What I am trying to say is, I love God so much that I don't even care what He's done in the past as I am sure there was a good reason for it, and I will defend Him with my dying breath. Furthermore, I do not think God likes to be called pagan and is deeply insulting.

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-23-2021 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity