Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 01:14 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Not a Bible teaching of course. If that was the case everyone would be doing Jehovah's will, when the Bible teaches that only a few are on the road to life. Mat 7:14. You don't actually believe him correct Howard?
Wait...you think that God is actually incapable of accomplishing his will?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 02:05 PM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Humphrey View Post
Is it even possible for the all-knowing God to ignore anything, such as, for example, an unworthy prayer?

If God doesn't hear the unworthy prayer, how can he see it as unworthy?
I don't know. Where is that word you can't remember when you are reaching way into your mind to recall it from the depths of your vocabulary? You can feel it, but it isn't all the way there. If you keep at it...

And so are the various new aspects of ourselves as we discover them. I guess I mean as we overcome stuff that has always been against us. It is stuff that is against everybody.

As I discover it, things like the reality that I need to be loved, I find new goals for how to interact with the world, to see if I can pull any of it off. I am hoping to do it without cheating or doing any tricks. You know, the old fashioned way. I find that more intimate.

But I tend to think in a linear manner. I do a lot of starting over just because I've discovered there isn't a lot of truth in many things. Those are things that various people put stock into. They build those things up. They rely upon some kind of victory, in a way that you can draw a sports metaphor from, or something like that. Maybe they can't live without control, even if it means manipulating people who expect they wouldn't do such a thing to? Love is about possession. But love is not about possession.

Anyway, I try their ways of seeing the world. I've grown up enough to do it with thought experiments, mostly. It is amazing, actually, what those can do, if you are intellectually honest with yourself. It proves something about the efficacy of your memory to bring about change in your being too. Some patterns are easier to ingrain in your life than others. There is a balance that goes on with the energy needed to maintain some illusions, and keep making the same choices. If it really is crippling, you won't be able to keep it up. Man, isn't that scary.

Otherwise, some of God's greatest lessons only come when we rub shoulders with each other. Only in human need can we see what God wants. But you also have to do the thought experiment of what it would be like for those same people in a perfect world. And, also, for you.

Them not being defined by their lack doesn't mean they will respect you any more as a person. If they aren't speaking to you in some manner of relationship, you should eventually be able to detect it. You don't have to feel forced to treat them as if they loved you, simply because you made that very loose connection. Nobody is asking you to contort yourself.

What I do is ask myself to treat others as I would like to have been treated in their position, not to perpetuate the way they treated me from before. Who they are can only make me feel pain. If I fear, though, I might wind up being the one who causes the pain. Usually, perpetuation comes from giving in to fear. With this one question we keep talking about, it is the opposite. It isn't about fear. It is kind of about asking others to look at God through a telescope. Everybody keeps saying that is some kind of heresy.

That isn't to define the type of relationship either. I'm talking about this more in terms of how we handle information when we process it, than I am about ethics per se. And, I am referring to how much I don't trust other people. And to how much that is also a metaphor for the world of the future, where it seems as if information has been weaponized. I like to say, I love people and I hate people. I just love people a little bit more than I hate them, sometimes.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 08-14-2021 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 08-15-2021, 07:15 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Wait...you think that God is actually incapable of accomplishing his will?

You overlooked the topic BF 100% of everything is God's will

Jesus said once: (Luke 19:40) . . .“I tell you, if these remained silent, the stones would cry out.”

God is not only capable of accomplishing His will, matter of fact it is going to happen Isa 55:11. But the fact is that we have been given a privilege of helping Him in bringing that about. No we are not necessary to His will being completed, but out of His love for us, He gives us that privilege.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:39 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,030,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
You overlooked the topic BF 100% of everything is God's will

Jesus said once: (Luke 19:40) . . .“I tell you, if these remained silent, the stones would cry out.”

God is not only capable of accomplishing His will, matter of fact it is going to happen Isa 55:11. But the fact is that we have been given a privilege of helping Him in bringing that about. No we are not necessary to His will being completed, but out of His love for us, He gives us that privilege.
OK. On that, we can agree.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
It is not God's will for people to sin, but people sin. God gave man volition. In order for man's volition to function God must restrain his sovereignty and allow man to make decisions which are contrary to his sovereign will.
100% correct.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. That's correct. If God wants something to happen, it will. What's your question?
Are you seriously saying that God wanted the Holocaust to happen?

Old 08-15-2021, 11:03 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are you seriously saying that God wanted the Holocaust to happen?
The fundies have created their own God in their imagination and completely disregard the God as presented by Jesus Christ. It is and has been a travesty of the disease of "wrath and vengeance." The "sin virus" has avoided complete "remission" and "herd immunity" for millennia that the "vaccination" of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus was supposed to produce. Thankfully, God is patient and long-suffering and expects us to overcome and endure to the end.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The fundies have created their own God in their imagination and completely disregard the God as presented by Jesus Christ. It is and has been a travesty of the disease of "wrath and vengeance." The "sin virus" has avoided complete "remission" and "herd immunity" for millennia that the "vaccination" of God's Holy Spirit of agape love by Jesus was supposed to produce. Thankfully, God is patient and long-suffering and expects us to overcome and endure to the end.
I agree, but I'd really, really like a straight answer from BF as to whether he actually believes God wanted the Holocaust to happen.

Along these same lines, if everything God wants to happen happens, does everything He wants not to happen not happen? Using this logic, we could spend our entire lives in pursuit of fame, money, power, etc. without regard for our fellow men, and at the end of the day, we could justify our actions by saying, "Well, I got what I wanted, even though I had to destroy the lives of many innocent people. And since it all went my way, it was obviously God's will." How messed up is that?

Old 08-15-2021, 01:22 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I agree, but I'd really, really like a straight answer from BF as to whether he actually believes God wanted the Holocaust to happen.

Along these same lines, if everything God wants to happen happens, does everything He wants not to happen not happen? Using this logic, we could spend our entire lives in pursuit of fame, money, power, etc. without regard for our fellow men, and at the end of the day, we could justify our actions by saying, "Well, I got what I wanted, even though I had to destroy the lives of many innocent people. And since it all went my way, it was obviously God's will." How messed up is that?
It is about as messed up as our human perversity can create, Katz! The misunderstanding of God is rampant despite the unambiguous demonstration of God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness on the Cross. it is an enigma!

Old 08-18-2021, 02:43 AM

614 posts, read 173,215 times
Is this thread meant to be about God's will or about how we can achieve our will while God has a will too? The mystery of faith concerns how you can think those things are incompatible, yet look back and see that they have been dovetailing all along. I liked the earlier point about how it wouldn't make any sense to say that you proved God's will had been working in your life simply because your life went the way you wanted it to. There must be a little more sensitivity between actors, it would seem. But how does a stubborn will capitulate, and find a way to consider the thoughts it is being asked to ponder? Isn't there a whole tradition meant to fill in those details? Some people think that sort of change isn't in the universal gospel. What it is, I guess, is like the pairing down of circuitry inside a child's mind, so that without so much going on they can find themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity