Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 05:10 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,320,172 times

Advertisements

It has been said countless times throughout history, no matter who you are, what type of life you have lived, if you call on the Lord in faith He will forgive and forget all trespasses, take you into His family and call you His sons and daughters with all the privilege's He has freely given.

This is one of those stories!

As the Book of Joshua begins, Moses has passed away and God has placed Joshua at the helm. The first objective to entering the Promised Land is to rid the land of the idol worshipping pagans. Where they crossed the Jordan River is said to be where the Baptist baptized Jesus.

The first city to be conquered on this side of the Jordan is Jericho. Before they could take this city and destroy it God knew there was faith in the heart of a prostitute named Rahab. Her salvation would take precedence over all that was about to happen.

It has also been said that Rahab's house in the city was a type of Inn, a bed and breakfast so to speak for the strangers passing through. God would tell Joshua to send two spies out to spy the land and they came to the Inn in the city, Rahab's house.

All the city of Jericho had heard what happened in Egypt, that their God had delivered them and how they had conquered all that stood in their path, and now they were camped across the river from Jericho.

When Rahab knew who they were she hid them from the King of Jericho and in return she begged for her life and her family. She told them that they all had heard of them "and their hearts did melt" knowing what God had done for them. That their God was the God of heaven and earth!

She made them promise that they would keep her and her family alive. In return the spies told her when they came to take the city, take this "scarlet thread" and tie it to the window and we will not harm anyone in this house.

The "scarlet thread" was her salvation from sure destruction in that it represented the "Blood of Christ" evidenced by her faith in mercy!

She would go on to marry a Jew named Salmon, and she is recorded in the lineage of Christ!

"The love that passes all understanding" can be yours by the mercy of God in faith, if you want it to be so! He has never turned one away and it is for sure He will not turn you away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 06:52 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
It has been said countless times throughout history, no matter who you are, what type of life you have lived, if you call on the Lord in faith He will forgive and forget all trespasses, take you into His family and call you His sons and daughters with all the privilege's He has freely given.

As the Book of Joshua begins, Moses has passed away and God has placed Joshua at the helm. The first objective to entering the Promised Land is to rid the land of the idol worshipping pagans. Where they crossed the Jordan River is said to be where the Baptist baptized Jesus.

The first city to be conquered on this side of the Jordan is Jericho. Before they could take this city and destroy it God knew there was faith in the heart of a prostitute named Rahab. Her salvation would take precedence over all that was about to happen.

It has also been said that Rahab's house in the city was a type of Inn, a bed and breakfast so to speak for the strangers passing through. God would tell Joshua to send two spies out to spy the land and they came to the Inn in the city, Rahab's house.

All the city of Jericho had heard what happened in Egypt, that their God had delivered them and how they had conquered all that stood in their path, and now they were camped across the river from Jericho.

When Rahab knew who they were she hid them from the King of Jericho and in return she begged for her life and her family. She told them that they all had heard of them "and their hearts did melt" knowing what God had done for them. That their God was the God of heaven and earth!

She made them promise that they would keep her and her family alive. In return the spies told her when they came to take the city, take this "scarlet thread" and tie it to the window and we will not harm anyone in this house.

The "scarlet thread" was her salvation from sure destruction in that it represented the "Blood of Christ" evidenced by her faith in mercy!

She would go on to marry a Jew named Salmon, and she is recorded in the lineage of Christ!

"The love that passes all understanding" can be yours by the mercy of God in faith, if you want it to be so! He has never turned one away and it is for sure He will not turn you away!

All are invited Charlie, sadly few accept the invitation.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:01 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Heard a teaching once that mentioned that at the time the spies went into Jericho, the Israelites had been in the area probably 20 years. They'd been rolling over some of the other towns in the area. She knew what was coming, and she chose to serve the one true God.

And yes, she is a picture of redemption, pointing others to Christ. All who trust in Christ will be saved.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:09 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,841,188 times
Gal 3:14, That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Eph 1:13, In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Rom 5:5, And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Old 08-21-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Gal 3:14, That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Eph 1:13, In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Eph 1:14, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Rom 5:5, And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to justbyfaith again

Old 08-21-2021, 01:57 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
All are invited Charlie, sadly few accept the invitation.
Not everyone accepts as readily as others, but the invitation will be extended as often as is necessary. God has far greater patience with us than we have for each other.

Old 08-22-2021, 05:42 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:

Yes, Charlie. The love of God is certainly amazing! Prior to my conversion, I was such a wretch and especially toward the Lord. My favorite curse word was JFC (hoping that will be understood without having to "spell it out"); I once made a joke about the body of Christ implying prostitution. The biblical God was just some made up fairytale that weaker people used as a crutch. I knew what was real and the God displayed in the Bible wasn't.

To this day the mercy of the Lord in forgiveness of all sins brings me to tears. It fills my heart with joy over and over again to hear it proclaimed on the Lord's day that there is no condemnation for those who are in Jesus. Such a thing never ceases to amaze me! How wonderful is the mercy of God! How inexpressible is his love for us! "How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure; that he should give his only son, to make a wretch his treasure".

I plead nearly every night for my brother to come to faith. He has an extreme hatred of God, similar to how mine was, but I think quite more-so. I know it is impossible for me or anyone to say anything to him that will change his mind. But with God all things are possible. Therefore I cry out to him this truth and beg him to have mercy on my brother. If any brothers and sisters in Jesus here reading this would remember him in your own prayers, I would be so grateful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Not everyone accepts as readily as others, but the invitation will be extended as often as is necessary. God has far greater patience with us than we have for each other.
Is that so true! Even should they turn to him on their deathbed, not knowing what awaits, he would still honor this small faith and take them into his family. God's mercy knows no limits--boundless and free, he calls all to himself to live and to have life in abundance!

Old 08-22-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, Charlie. The love of God is certainly amazing! Prior to my conversion, I was such a wretch and especially toward the Lord. My favorite curse word was JFC (hoping that will be understood without having to "spell it out"); I once made a joke about the body of Christ implying prostitution. The biblical God was just some made up fairytale that weaker people used as a crutch. I knew what was real and the God displayed in the Bible wasn't.

To this day the mercy of the Lord in forgiveness of all sins brings me to tears. It fills my heart with joy over and over again to hear it proclaimed on the Lord's day that there is no condemnation for those who are in Jesus. Such a thing never ceases to amaze me! How wonderful is the mercy of God! How inexpressible is his love for us! "How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure; that he should give his only son, to make a wretch his treasure".

I plead nearly every night for my brother to come to faith. He has an extreme hatred of God, similar to how mine was, but I think quite more-so. I know it is impossible for me or anyone to say anything to him that will change his mind. But with God all things are possible. Therefore I cry out to him this truth and beg him to have mercy on my brother. If any brothers and sisters in Jesus here reading this would remember him in your own prayers, I would be so grateful.

Is that so true! Even should they turn to him on their deathbed, not knowing what awaits, he would still honor this small faith and take them into his family. God's mercy knows no limits--boundless and free, he calls all to himself to live and to have life in abundance!
Amen Brother! That is a great testimony of our Lord, and I will certainly remember your brother in prayer!

My Mom prayed many years for Dad to get saved and finally at 75 years old he walked the isle and accepted Christ as his Saviour. He was a totally different man after that.

Personally I believe the sanctifying faith of the believer and their desire for loved ones to be saved will eventually bring them in, don't give up on prayer.

For many years my Mom claimed Acts 16:31,

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:50 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Amen Brother! That is a great testimony of our Lord, and I will certainly remember your brother in prayer!

My Mom prayed many years for Dad to get saved and finally at 75 years old he walked the isle and accepted Christ as his Saviour. He was a totally different man after that.

Personally I believe the sanctifying faith of the believer and their desire for loved ones to be saved will eventually bring them in, don't give up on prayer.

For many years my Mom claimed Acts 16:31,

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Thank you, Charlie. That does give me hope! Thank you for your prayers. I won't give up on mine. God calls us to persistence. That my brother will find Jesus is my ever-lasting prayer.

Old 08-22-2021, 07:25 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,006,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

I fully agree Kat! Nice response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity