Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 05:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,520 times

Advertisements

I attended my church’s prayer service this week. I am a single guy. So I go to church by myself. Spending an hour in God’s house, with Jesus present, seems like a good use of time to me.

Another guy came up to me after the service and said, “You’re clearly devoted to this church and it speaks well of you that you weren’t dragged here by a wife.”

I’m not sure if that was a compliment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 05:13 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
I'm not sure either, but you know how people are. Lots of people say things, but sometimes they're empty of substance. I would have probably dropped it from my mind a moment or two afterwards. You have your reasons for going to church, and they're between you and God. I'd be more concerned with God's impressions than some Bozo passing by in the crowd. Was he drunk?

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-20-2021 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2021, 05:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I attended my church’s prayer service this week. I am a single guy. So I go to church by myself. Spending an hour in God’s house, with Jesus present, seems like a good use of time to me.

Another guy came up to me after the service and said, “You’re clearly devoted to this church and it speaks well of you that you weren’t dragged here by a wife.”

i think this is statistical fact. Years ago I quit attending 'regular' church. My wife does, periodically she tries to shake me up to go with her.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:02 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,837,092 times
Most men do not even go to church unless they are influenced by a spouse or loved one to attend.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:32 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:

Sadly, if you take a look around in many churches, it tends to be just women. We can debate why that is. But it just is. It's for that reason that I can see why some churches might want a woman leading it.

So when a single guy goes to church, it can be seen as an anomaly. It's sad, but that's how it is. But men need to be involved.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:41 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,603 times
Quote:

Many of my brothers came into the faith through their wives. In a small way I did. I was the first to go, but she was the first to take it more seriously. She is the one who accepted the Bible study, which I later joined in on.

Old 08-21-2021, 08:30 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,022 times
If I am not mistaken, GSP native is from 'Jersey. If this is accurate, we have shells and cores made of Teflon and granite. The only proper rejoinder would be to say, 'But I am transgendered, what does that mean to me?'

The line describes your devotion to G-d, nothing more or less. You can be direct and ask, 'What does that mean?' without sounding / acting offended. That puts it back on the fellow to better define it. I find people frustrated and this would be one way to start a dialogue. And you can return to him in the future and ask that question - it is not without context.

Aside from the elderly and children, there are few men who attend spiritual services for enrichment. This is unfortunate. There are many single fellows who go (I am one and I seek that contact, even if it is distant). If you feel really bold, you can apologize for him and suggest it can only get better, if he continues to attend.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:08 AM

614 posts, read 172,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
If I am not mistaken, GSP native is from 'Jersey. If this is accurate, we have shells and cores made of Teflon and granite. The only proper rejoinder would be to say, 'But I am transgendered, what does that mean to me?'

The line describes your devotion to G-d, nothing more or less. You can be direct and ask, 'What does that mean?' without sounding / acting offended. That puts it back on the fellow to better define it. I find people frustrated and this would be one way to start a dialogue. And you can return to him in the future and ask that question - it is not without context.

Aside from the elderly and children, there are few men who attend spiritual services for enrichment. This is unfortunate. There are many single fellows who go (I am one and I seek that contact, even if it is distant). If you feel really bold, you can apologize for him and suggest it can only get better, if he continues to attend.
Yeah, because that's what happens. Other people aren't exactly like us, so we place them in a category. We think it helps. But we have to remember to take them out of it after we finished our first thought. If we don't, we could have the wrong impression of them.

I think that's what it means when it says that the spiritual man judges all things, in that we have the resources through the indwelling Spirit to deal with every argument, as they come along. But he is, himself, to be judged by no man. Meaning that the spiritual man doesn't use a code that can be communicated through words to achieve this. He does it through intimacy with God.

It's better not to judge our fellow man. It works out that we can learn more from God, if we don't. For they also have to be in their own states of ignorance, and will cause offense, even if we know they may not have meant it. Sometimes they do mean it, but probably more often we wanted them to have meant it.

We may only know that about them through faith, what they meant. You can use your faith to give other people the ability to use error to learn. If you are patient, it can teach you to let go, until you see the roots of their question better?

Yes, to let go of what offends you, OP, about what he said. I know, it hurts. But, then, you have resisted the urge to place a brother into an "outer" category, and leave him there.

It's really just about keeping your issues to yourself, while your brother demonstrates his to you, openly, in church. Like I said, it hurts.

But he is telling you something about his own need to understand some things about his own approach to things in his own life. It could even be about his own sexuality. Who knows? He, at least, doesn't understand women the same way that you do.

I wonder, do you feel that when you spot a charging rhino, you are at least entitled to try to get out of the way. Well, run to the sides, then, and not straight away from him, like in some drummed up horror movie.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:33 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
Most men do not even go to church unless they are influenced by a spouse or loved one to attend.
i just did not receive any bread in that church....

Old 08-21-2021, 08:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
i just did not receive any bread in that church....
...and the wine was fake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity