Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 08:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,745,158 times

Advertisements

Ever since I started growing closer to God, there have been quite a few things I used to do for fun that I don't do anymore.

My life has grown to be pretty much consumed with my job and that's not good, so I know I need more balance in my life. Nowadays I find myself just not wanting to do things I used to do which includes something as simple as watching a TV show I used to watch as an example.

So I'm curious..what are some things you enjoy doing/find 'fun' to do as a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 09:05 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Hanging out with family and friends, sports, games, going to the beach, going out to eat.

I'm with you on TV and would encourage you to stay away from it. 99% of it is worthless trash. The only thing I watch on TV is college football.

Hopefully your changing desires is a sign of your being transformed into the image of Christ. Don't get discouraged!

Old 09-10-2021, 09:10 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Ever since I started growing closer to God, there have been quite a few things I used to do for fun that I don't do anymore.

My life has grown to be pretty much consumed with my job and that's not good, so I know I need more balance in my life. Nowadays I find myself just not wanting to do things I used to do which includes something as simple as watching a TV show I used to watch as an example.

So I'm curious..what are some things you enjoy doing/find 'fun' to do as a Christian?
I'm a gamer. I like playing computer games, and games on my iPad.

As for tv, most of my tv watching is stuff like the History Channel--Forged in Fire, Food Network, and I have a subscription to MLB tv so I can watch baseball pretty much every day during the baseball season.

I also like to hunt and fish. I am hoping to get 4-5 deer this year. I need to can one of them, make some sausage, and some for steaks and burger.

I also do a lot of gardening, and I ride a motorcycle.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:22 AM

4,483 posts, read 1,321,543 times
Quote:

I remember when I first became serious about my faith! I was advised to associate with other believers.

Several church members would get together once a week for a cookout at someone's home and play Bible Trivia. We took trips to the beach and mountains. The most memorable times were when we had conversations of how things were different in our lives, how life was not the burden it once was.

My advice is to surround yourself with true believers as often as possible. The things to do will generate from that atmosphere!

Old 09-10-2021, 11:20 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
As a Christian, what are things you do for 'fun'?

Pray that God gives the wicked on horseback, external hemorrhoids...? (L.O.L.)
Why would you change anything - if it did not, harm or injure others or yourself?

Old 09-10-2021, 11:50 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Outdoor/Nature activities; Family centered when possible, and sometimes alone, (and always minus alcohol)- Gardening/Ranching/hiking/archery & target shooting/camping/ lake or beach swimming/kayak/canoe/skiing/fishing/tubing/jetskiing;
- and teaching kiddos (especially ones not my own) to do/enjoy all the same.

Church/Faith retreats; ACTS, FamilyLand, biblestudy & faithsharing groups, volunteering & community service, VBS (running kiddos vacation bible school).

Parent/Adult leader: 4H, Christian Debate League(s).

Cooking/canning/natural food growing/gathering/prep - animal husbandry; turning used&abused land overgrown and with briars/burrs/poisonivy into a paradise;

There is even/often overlap in several of the above. You don't need to be 'married with kiddos' to get involved in any of the above - groups are always looking for adult volunteers.

I haven't turned on a TV in 30 years, and feel blessed as though I've lived multiple wonderful lifetimes!

Old 09-10-2021, 01:01 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:

Yeah, some movies I used to like I don't anymore because of the nudity and language in them. It's just a turn off for me.

But I enjoy hiking, reading, home improvement projects, writing, genealogy research, historical research, true crime, jigsaw puzzles, cooking.

Old 09-10-2021, 09:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:

I hope you have not hooked with one of those anti grace, fundie churches that preach that one should NOT do stuff that is not mentioned in the Bible as sin. All things in moderation. And while many tv shows are garbage, many are good and worth watching. I like a wholesome laugh and something that makes me think.

What do I do for fun? Hike, bike, ski. Hang out with friends. Play music…church and for pleasure. Eat out. When it was safe, we went to live theater and movies. I could go on, but being a Christian doesn’t mean living a limited and dull life

Old 09-10-2021, 11:46 PM

8,039 posts, read 1,843,028 times
I, for one, love to read my Bible, that is fun for me.

I also enjoy listening to Christian music and playing my guitar and singing worship songs. I have also written a few songs and songwriting is one of the things that I enjoy doing.

I enjoy hanging out with my wife and I find that there are television programs that are not what I would call "setting a wicked thing before my eyes."

Old 09-11-2021, 08:31 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I hope you have not hooked with one of those anti grace, fundie churches that preach that one should NOT do stuff that is not mentioned in the Bible as sin. All things in moderation. And while many tv shows are garbage, many are good and worth watching. I like a wholesome laugh and something that makes me think.

What do I do for fun? Hike, bike, ski. Hang out with friends. Play music…church and for pleasure. Eat out. When it was safe, we went to live theater and movies. I could go on, but being a Christian doesn’t mean living a limited and dull life
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity