Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 06:55 PM

234 posts, read 99,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Your regular Christian will believe but not be interested in how/why/when anything has happened or will happen- they are content that they are Christian and will go to heaven

Yup, nothing wrong with that, they rightly don't want to get sidetracked into all sorts of convoluted theology, that's why Paul warned people not to clutter up their minds..-

"I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)

However the rest of the Bible (OT and NT) is fascinating too, nothing wrong with reading that as long as we stay Jesus-centred..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Out of interest what denomination were you brought up in or exposed to?

I was brought up Pentecostal and left that in my teens .....

I’m Christian and also not affiliated with any denomination, but I also recognise all of the denominations as part of the church which has been “dispersed” and “scattered” as they were told to do

My parents were non-denom and never mentioned religion; I discovered Jesus for myself in my early teens and his strength began downloading into me and i've grown stronger year by year..
"Our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power"- (1 Thess 1:5)

How about it Gary?-
https://youtu.be/94QH3jHumOk

So I'm non-denom, i've never been to church, tried a few now and again but always walked out bored.
Once the vicar chased me down the road to persuade me to come back, it was like trying to escape from Colditz but I managed to give him the slip and make a home run.
Churches and org rel are fine for people who like them but I prefer to think for myself rather than have to toe any official line.
Denoms are fine as long as they stay Jesus-focussed, but sadly the majority don't do that and get Christianity a bad name which I'm sure makes satan chuckle..

Old 09-24-2021, 07:50 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
If something is anti-scriptural it's our duty to correct people..

"Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,and that they will come to their senses.." (2 Tim 2:23-26)
Yeah, but you could say that to anyone you disagree with. You’ve made no valid argument.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:05 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yeah, but you could say that to anyone you disagree with. You’ve made no valid argument.
Yup

There is a lot of disagreement in Christianity and Jesus does say that is a central part of his coming

Luk 12:49**I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled?
Luk 12:50**But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!
Luk 12:51**Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:
Luk 12:52**For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
Luk 12:53**The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

Not Peace, but a Sword
Mat 10:34**Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
Mat 10:35**For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Mat 10:36**And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:17 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
My parents were non-denom and never mentioned religion; I discovered Jesus for myself in my early teens and his strength began downloading into me and i've grown stronger year by year..
"Our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power"- (1 Thess 1:5)

How about it Gary?-
https://youtu.be/94QH3jHumOk

So I'm non-denom, i've never been to church, tried a few now and again but always walked out bored.
Once the vicar chased me down the road to persuade me to come back, it was like trying to escape from Colditz but I managed to give him the slip and make a home run.
Churches and org rel are fine for people who like them but I prefer to think for myself rather than have to toe any official line.
Denoms are fine as long as they stay Jesus-focussed, but sadly the majority don't do that and get Christianity a bad name which I'm sure makes satan chuckle..
What do you mean by your parents being non-denomination?

Did they attend a church or had they been brought up religious and had decided not to be part of that for themselves?

Old 09-24-2021, 08:50 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
I see in your profile that you're non-denominational, yet you sound like a Rapturist, what gives?..
The rapture has no denominational boundaries. And as I told you, the rapture belief existed in the early church. The claim that the rapture was invented in the 18th century is a fiction.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
If something is anti-scriptural it's our duty to correct people..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Disagreeing or agreeing doesn't come into it, something is either scriptural or it's not..

Old 09-24-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Yup
There is a lot of disagreement in Christianity and Jesus does say that is a central part of his coming

Like I said, if something is scriptural, it can't be argued with.
But if people try to twist scripture it's our duty to straighten them out..

"..Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will" (2 Tim 2:23-26)

Old 09-24-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
What do you mean by your parents being non-denomination?
Did they attend a church or had they been brought up religious and had decided not to be part of that for themselves?
My parents were working-class and never went to church or even mentioned religion so I suppose they were neutral about it (a sort of cross between christian and atheist) like many working-class people were.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:03 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Like I said, if something is scriptural, it can't be argued with.
But if people try to twist scripture it's our duty to straighten them out..

"..Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth,and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will" (2 Tim 2:23-26)
Oh, really? Then why is it that many argue that Jesus is not God when the Bible says that he is God? Your theory is unsound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity