Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 02:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,050,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
I do not have any interest in getting married and having kids. I want to just provide for and take care of myself. I have battled health issues for the past several years, and am just starting to get out on my own. Therefore, I want to enjoy my life independent of others.

Does Christianity view the desire to remain single as sinful by any means? As a Catholic, is it my duty to follow through with the sacrament of marriage? I feel that I would be happier without a wife or child around my home.

Marriage wasn't a sacrament of the church until the Twelfth Century. That's how little importance early Christianity put on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 02:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Marriage wasn't a sacrament of the church until the Twelfth Century. That's how little importance early Christianity put on it.
This is true.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:24 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
That statement makes no sense, in more ways than one.

Setting your faulty premise aside (that marriage wasn't a Sacrament until the 12th C.); since Protestant Christianity does not consider marriage a Sacrament, you're implying that Protestant Christianity places "little importance" on marriage. That's demonstrably untrue.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:40 PM

234 posts, read 99,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
So, you felt it necessary to repeat the same thing as the post above yours?

Who me? Sorry but I'm having trouble grasping this websites layout, I usually make a dozen or more posts a day in different threads and lose track where they are, is there a simple trick to finding them again?

Old 09-23-2021, 02:44 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,386,786 times
Quote:
Given the number of times Jesus used a wedding in some way to describe becoming One with Him,
well,
let's just say that not everybody would agree with the conclusion that you come to.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:44 PM

234 posts, read 99,608 times
Regarding marriage, would any CD members marry someone who has a different faith to their own?
I'm a Christian guy and could never want to marry a nonchristian or atheist woman, am I being too picky or what?

Old 09-23-2021, 02:46 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
Regarding marriage, would any CD members marry someone who has a different faith to their own?
I'm a Christian guy and could never want to marry a nonchristian or atheist woman, am I being too picky or what?
I always thought it would make for an extremely difficult life to marry outside my faith. It seems like it would be a very imprudent thing to do.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Who me? Sorry but I'm having trouble grasping this websites layout, I usually make a dozen or more posts a day in different threads and lose track where they are, is there a simple trick to finding them again?
I put it in chronological order, so go back and read it with better comprehension.
You can click on your member name, and go to "find all posts." That may help you.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-23-2021 at 03:01 PM..

Old 09-23-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I always thought it would make for an extremely difficult life to marry outside my faith. It seems like it would be a very imprudent thing to do.
The divorce rate in this county says otherwise - it doesn't make a difference.
It all depends on the individuals (themselves) and their outlook on life.

Old 09-23-2021, 03:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It is. Can't understand why someone would want to enter a marriage without having such a basic thing in common. My only conclusion is that to such a couple, it just isn't a priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity