Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 03:37 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
As for 'duking it out' ...well, we'll see how it goes but you just might find that you're dealing with the big boys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
I might warn you the same thing..
LOL @ Romulus. Who are these "big boys"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 03:41 PM

234 posts, read 99,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
..Let's get back on topic and discuss how Christianity views a person that chooses to remain single with no children.
I myself chose to remain single because I'd have felt trapped as a "family man"..
Jesus never mentioned the subject either way so it can't have been a big issue as far as he was concerned, but Paul gave many useful points to ponder in 1 Cor ch 7, for example-

32 "I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs, how he can please the Lord.
33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife,
34 and his interests are divided.
An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband."

But single or married, he wisely says "Keeping God’s commands is what counts" (1 Cor 7:19)..

Old 09-24-2021, 03:43 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
I myself chose to remain single because I'd have felt trapped as a "family man"..
Jesus never mentioned the subject either way so it can't have been a big issue as far as he was concerned, but Paul gave many useful points to ponder in 1 Cor ch 7, for example-

32 "I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs, how he can please the Lord.
33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife,
34 and his interests are divided.
An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband."

But single or married, he wisely says "Keeping God’s commands is what counts" (1 Cor 7:19)..
Jesus did address it in Matthew 19.

Old 09-24-2021, 03:59 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
I'm a Christian, a realist and a husband/parent. Paul makes good points. However... and I mean this without judgement, I wouldn't want unmarried people and people without children involved with children at my church UNLESS they're young, divorced, widowed, widower, etc. I wouldn't want people who lived like boy scouts/girl scouts to run recovery meetings at church either. I hope I'm explaining this well.

It's my preference.

I also know great teachers of Bible study classes, who are single and unmarried (women).I only know one man who was never married. He's a bit odd to me.

Honesty isn't always pretty.

Old 09-24-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Jesus did address it in Matthew 19.
Thanks, on the one hand Jesus said marriage is fine for those who want it-
"..the Creator made them male and female, and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’...

But also said celibacy is fine too-
"..there are those who choose to live like eunuchs [ie celibate] for the sake of the kingdom of heaven."

Personally I've been celibate for the past 19 years but not by choice as I'm always on the lookout for some sweet-natured woman but sadly they're not so easy to find..-

"A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life"
(Proverbs 31)

Old 09-24-2021, 05:09 PM

True story-
I know a middleaged single Christian evangelist who sometimes travels to visits me and stays at my place, and as I'm single too we'd go out and about together as free as birds.

Then he got married and brought his wife with him to stay with me too, and it was a disaster!
Him and me would go out together as before while his wife preferred to go look round antique shops or whatever, and every few minutes I noticed him stealing glances at his watch.
Eventually I asked him "Why the heck do you keep looking at your watch??" to which he lamely replied- "My wife told me to be back at a certain time and I don't want to be late"

So Pauls wise words sprung to my mind-

1 Cor 7: 32 "I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs, how he can please the Lord.
33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife.."

A few years later they separated, and the last time he visited he was free as a bird again, and spent hours with me sitting up on Plymouth Hoe while he sketched the lighthouse and scenery without distraction..

Old 09-24-2021, 10:54 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
As for 'duking it out' ...well, we'll see how it goes but you just might find that you're dealing with the big boys.
Quote:
LOL @ Romulus. Who are these "big boys"?
Well, not to boast but you're already acquainted with me.

But anyway, the 'big boys' are those who have reached a level of scriptural maturity when it comes to dealing with those so-called 'controversial issues' that are often raised on the Christian sub-forum. The 'big boys' are more dependent on their God-given brains to 'work the problem IF it is indeed a problem' rather than to submit to the brainwashing of the often-times man-made tenets of their particular church. I could go on but this isn't the thread in which to do so.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:11 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
I always thought it would make for an extremely difficult life to marry outside my faith. It seems like it would be a very imprudent thing to do.
It is difficult. We married when I was in my decades-long agnostic phase. He is a lapsed Catholic.

I returned to the faith in 2013 so it's been a long haul with no one to share it with. Plus all the using the Lord's name in vain is hard to ignore. He did go to church with me back when we had one. But he is the kindest man I've even known.

As to kids, I don't think there's any mandate. I never wanted any and figured I was doing the right thing to not overpopulate (we've achieved that mandate, after all) the earth since my siblings all had 4 instead of the 2.5 we're "supposed" to have, lol.

Old 09-25-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
..the 'big boys' are those who have reached a level of scriptural maturity when it comes to dealing with those so-called 'controversial issues' that are often raised on the Christian sub-forum. The 'big boys' are more dependent on their God-given brains to 'work the problem IF it is indeed a problem' rather than to submit to the brainwashing of the often-times man-made tenets of their particular church..
On the other hand, being too brainy can have its drawbacks..
Jesus said- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)

The ordinary people of his time had no problem at all understanding him-
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

And as I've said before, a fool with a Theology College diploma is still just a fool..

Old 09-25-2021, 08:20 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,913,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
...the 'big boys' are those who have reached a level of scriptural maturity when it comes to dealing with those so-called 'controversial issues' that are often raised on the Christian sub-forum. The 'big boys' are more dependent on their God-given brains to 'work the problem IF it is indeed a problem' rather than to submit to the brainwashing of the often-times man-made tenets of their particular church...
Quote:
On the other hand, being too brainy can have its drawbacks..
Jesus said- "I thank you Father for hiding these things from the wise and learned,and for revealing them to little children"(Matt 11:25-27)

The ordinary people of his time had no problem at all understanding him-
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)

And as I've said before, a fool with a Theology College diploma is still just a fool..
I'm not especially 'brainy' and I've never professed to hold a diploma in theology. But, I do have a brain that I do put to use on occasions and am able to reach logical conclusions by doing so. And, occasionally, I'm sure that I DO come across to some people as a fool. I may not like it but it is what it is.

But anyway, as per the thread title ...I really don't understand the question to be honest. If I choose not to marry and have kids then it's no one's business but mine. I wouldn't give a damn what the view of 'Christianity' was or is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity