Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 12:31 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Well, not to boast but you're already acquainted with me.

But anyway, the 'big boys' are those who have reached a level of scriptural maturity when it comes to dealing with those so-called 'controversial issues' that are often raised on the Christian sub-forum. The 'big boys' are more dependent on their God-given brains to 'work the problem IF it is indeed a problem' rather than to submit to the brainwashing of the often-times man-made tenets of their particular church. I could go on but this isn't the thread in which to do so.
Got a grin out of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 12:47 AM

23,175 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorOldSpike View Post
True story-
I know a middleaged single Christian evangelist who sometimes travels to visits me and stays at my place, and as I'm single too we'd go out and about together as free as birds.

Then he got married and brought his wife with him to stay with me too, and it was a disaster!
Him and me would go out together as before while his wife preferred to go look round antique shops or whatever, and every few minutes I noticed him stealing glances at his watch.
Eventually I asked him "Why the heck do you keep looking at your watch??" to which he lamely replied- "My wife told me to be back at a certain time and I don't want to be late"

So Pauls wise words sprung to my mind-

1 Cor 7: 32 "I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord’s affairs, how he can please the Lord.
33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world, how he can please his wife.."

A few years later they separated, and the last time he visited he was free as a bird again, and spent hours with me sitting up on Plymouth Hoe while he sketched the lighthouse and scenery without distraction..

1 Corinthians 7
14For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. 15But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace. 16For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Do you believe Paul said all this?

1 Corinthians 7

Now concerning the things you wrote unto me.

You see no contradiction?

The husband shall sanctify the wife and the wife the husband.

Why does Paul say this at the end?

"16For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?"

Jus saying, from the first sentence Paiul begins quoting what the Corinthians church write to him, and the FACT IS, you cant tell where Pail is quoting them or correcting them. From chapter 7 on, it us this way.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:55 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Well, not to boast but you're already acquainted with me.

But anyway, the 'big boys' are those who have reached a level of scriptural maturity when it comes to dealing with those so-called 'controversial issues' that are often raised on the Christian sub-forum. The 'big boys' are more dependent on their God-given brains to 'work the problem IF it is indeed a problem' rather than to submit to the brainwashing of the often-times man-made tenets of their particular church. I could go on but this isn't the thread in which to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Got a grin out of me.
Having anticipated that the above ^ would prompt a grin from you is why I posted it, Hanni.

Old 09-26-2021, 03:47 AM

614 posts, read 173,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
I do not have any interest in getting married and having kids. I want to just provide for and take care of myself. I have battled health issues for the past several years, and am just starting to get out on my own. Therefore, I want to enjoy my life independent of others.

Does Christianity view the desire to remain single as sinful by any means? As a Catholic, is it my duty to follow through with the sacrament of marriage? I feel that I would be happier without a wife or child around my home.
Are you actually describing religion, or the evolutionary paradigm? Think about what you said, and align it with the demands made upon us by evolution. Evolution is all about passing our genes on, and something that can deal or not with changes in the environment will result. If it does, then Bob's your uncle. But you have to keep busting at that lottery, or else whoever you are doesn't live beyond the now.

Contrast that with what God thinks about us, that He cares for us each on an individual level. It's a real trip to stick the notion of kids between there. And, especially, to make a "duty" of it before God. It's like saying that children won't come into the world if you don't bring them. But there are enough other people, so why do I have to bring them? Won't this come between me and God, the finding of yourself, if it's not actually what's for me?

Then there is the whole issue of what happens to kids who get born to parents who had to have kids but may not have wanted to have kids. That's most people. It's the number one problem on earth, in my opinion. They aren't all abused, but they don't turn out right either. Something is always missing. It is those people's missions in life to make up for what they didn't get. They do it in fantastic and, sometimes, dastardly ways. Men get real macho. They mimic being very good at what they feel impresses women according to the evolutionary paradigm. Women adopt a submissive role. Yeah, that isn't just a patriarchal imposition. The paradigm forces that upon women too. It is hard to find a strong woman for many reasons, not that they won't be strong in hidden ways. Think about it.

You obviously know all that. I don't have kids either. So do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity