Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 12:39 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
How do you figure? LDS church uses the Protestant canon and does not consider Tobit to be Scripture.
BapFun believes in Sola Scriptura Protestantium so ANY other scripture is not acceptable making you and the LDS on equal footing in his eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 12:50 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
BapFun believes in Sola Scriptura Protestantium so ANY other scripture is not acceptable making you and the LDS on equal footing in his eyes.
More of that "agape love"? You really ought to try to be nicer.

I simply pointed out how both churches have added books to their cannon.

Old 09-29-2021, 12:58 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It was just a slam against both of us, Mike.
Sorry, I’m just thinking out loud here

He doesn’t realise the Calvinistic ‘additives’ in his own milk and bread that gets pushed from the man occupying the priestly role in his own church (from his own denominational “head”)

I would just brush it off

There is a necessity for the generation of different doctrines, philosophies, theologies in the greater scheme and also a need for the culling of the ones that are not beneficial, but these things are all time dependent/sensitive

Jer 8:6**I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.
Jer 8:7**Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD.
Jer 8:8**How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

This is a playing out of the commandments given to both Adam and Noah about being fruitful, multiplying and replenish the earth

Adam in charge of the tilling of the earth and Noah planting the vineyard

And The sons of these 2 have their own level and things written about/to them

Each level has their own (literary) estate as it were

There is a division, scattering and also a gathering together that was set in action from the beginning and each level and generation has its own beginnings.....and endings, and what is revealed is totally dependent upon timing and season

CCC may appreciate this as it has to do with the mirroring, imaging, succession, the upper/lower etc

Anyway, thanks Mike for the bringing to our minds St Michael and the archangel Michael

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-29-2021 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 01:03 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
That’s about it

He doesn’t realise the Calvinistic ‘additives’ in his own milk and bread that gets pushed from the man occupying the priestly role in his own church

I would just brush it off

There is a necessity for the generation of different doctrines, philosophies, theologies in the greater scheme and also a need for the culling the ones that are not beneficial but these things are all time dependent/sensitive

Jer 8:6**I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle.
Jer 8:7**Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the LORD.
Jer 8:8**How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

This is a playing out of the commandments given to both Adam and Noah about being fruitful, multiplying and replenish the earth

Adam in charge of the tilling of the earth and Noah planting the vineyard

And The sons of these 2 have their own level and things written about/to them

Each level has their own (literary) estate as it were

There is a division, scattering and also a gathering together that was set in action from the beginning and each level and generation has its own beginnings.....and endings, and what is revealed is totally dependent upon timing and season

CCC may appreciate this as it has to do with the mirroring, imaging, succession, the upper/lower etc

Anyway, thanks Mike for the bringing to our minds St Michael and the archangel Michael

Old 09-29-2021, 01:03 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
They do have works they consider Scripture that most others do not, though. In the same way your church recognizes the Apocrypha, they recognize the BoM, D & C and Pearl of Great Price.
"Most others"? Both Catholics and Orthodox recognize Tobit as Scripture, and that's 2/3 of the world's Christians right there. Christians who reject Tobit are actually the minority.

Additionally, it's quite a stretch to equate a book like Tobit which is ancient in origin, part of the Septuagint, and was always considered Scripture until the 16th century, with modern Mormon works that have never been considered Scripture by anyone but the LDS.

Old 09-29-2021, 01:05 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
"Added"? When do you think Tobit was "added" to the canon?

Old 09-29-2021, 01:07 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,378,692 times
Quote:

BF, would you care to share what year those books were 'added' to the Catholic cannon?

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-29-2021 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 01:26 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Quote:
What exactly is not nice about what I posted?

Old 09-29-2021, 01:54 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
What exactly is not nice about what I posted?
He is still hurting of your past criticisms, and certainly for him it doesn’t feel nice, none of us like being criticised

However we are all going to get criticised in our turn, and will need to be able to justify what we believe so we all can be edified

1Co 14:1**Pursue love, and earnestly seek the spiritual things, and rather that you may prophesy,
1Co 14:2**for he who is speaking in an [unknown] tongue—he does not speak to men, but to God, for no one listens, and he speaks secrets in spirit;
1Co 14:3**and he who is prophesying to men speaks edification, and exhortation, and comfort;

You and him are both in the judging each other stage

Mat 7:1**Judge not, that ye be not judged.
Mat 7:2**For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Mat 7:3**And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:4**Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Mat 7:5**Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

#1 don’t judge

#2 if you fall from that and become a judge you need to be very sure of your own standing because you are going to be judged yourself by your very own standard that you have pulled out of the Scriptures

He is just reflecting back to you about the inconsistency about what you say you “see” in the Scriptures and how you yourself do not live or walk in what you “see” which is supposed to be your own standard

Gal 5:16**And I say, walk in the Spirit, and you may not fulfill the desire of the flesh;
Gal 5:17**for the flesh desires contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit contrary to the flesh, and these are opposed to one another, that the things that you may will—these you may not do;
Gal 5:18**and if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
Gal 5:19**And the works of the flesh are also evident, which are: adultery, whoredom, uncleanness, licentiousness,
Gal 5:20**idolatry, witchcraft, enmities, strife, jealousy, wraths, rivalries, dissensions, sects,
Gal 5:21**envyings, murders, drunkenness, reveling, and such like, of which I tell you before, as I also said before, that those doing such things will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22**And the fruit of the Spirit is: love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23**meekness, [and] self-control. Against such there is no law;
Gal 5:24**and those who are of Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with the affections and the desires;
Gal 5:25**if we may live in the Spirit, we may also walk in the Spirit;
Gal 5:26**let us not become vainglorious—provoking one another, envying one another
!

This is why you are called a hypocrite, because you say what the standard is but you do the things that are the opposite of that standard/measure

Last edited by Meerkat2; 09-29-2021 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-29-2021, 02:16 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Let us today honor the Holy Archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael and humbly ask for their intercession as together we do battle against the rulers, authorities, powers of this dark world, and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

St. Michael the Archangel...
I remember seeing on cable TV the Church Universal and Triumphant (CUT) cult chanting about the archangels. Look up Claire Prophet on YouTube for some crazy stuff. And Michael was the favorite of the bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity