Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2021, 02:19 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I would just brush it off
Trust me, I brush about 99.5% of everything he says off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2021, 02:20 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Forewarned is forearmed as they say

Old 09-29-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
"Added"? When do you think Tobit was "added" to the canon?
I guess BF doesn't realize Protestantism "subtracted" from the canon.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:22 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
And then “added” other things

But all have done and do that by the initial design/plan, that was from the beginning/Genesis

Old 09-29-2021, 02:36 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Before the cross of Christ, Michael the Archangel had equal power to satan and his hoards .... From Jude :9 Micheal the Archangel said to the devil ``The Lord rebuke you `` ..... Where after the cross of Christ the Holy Angel had multi more powerful than the devil ... from Revelation 12:7-9

Old 09-29-2021, 02:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,349,449 times
Quote:
99.99% in my estimation, especially when it comes to misrepresenting other view points, while putting himself behind a wall that is crumbing.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:54 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Not true. The Apocryphal books were never considered canonical.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
BF, would you care to share what year those books were 'added' to the Catholic cannon?
Around the 4th Century.

They have always been considered historical. They are valuable for that reason. No one disputes that. If you wish to include them in your collection of books, great.

But Tobit does include some theological concerns. https://www.gotquestions.org/book-of-Tobit.html

Old 09-29-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Stop being so fragile. No one is trying to insult you. It really bothers you to hear that your church has books you consider Scripture that I don't?

Old 09-29-2021, 03:07 PM

Most people have very little knowledge concerning the history of the Christian canon. Here's something I posted some time ago on another thread that might be enlightening to anybody who thinks the canon has always been as it is today:

In 1740, a list of the canonical books compiled in Rome just prior to 200 A.D. was discovered in the Ambrosian Libary in Milan, Italy. Missing from the accepted canon in 200 A.D. were Hebrews, James, 1 Peter and 2 Peter. Only two of John's letters were considered canonical, not three, but we don't know for sure which two. The Apocalypse of Peter and the Wisdom of Solomon, however, were included.

Eusebius of Caesara, one of the most notable Church historians to have ever lived, described (in about 300 A.D.) a canon which included only twenty-seven of the books in today's New Testament. Hebrews, James, and 2 Peter where described as questionable, as were Jude and Revelation. In the fourth century, St. Gregory of Nazianzus continued to reject Revelation and states, "You have all. If there is any any besides these, it is not among the genuine [books]." The canon he set forth was ratified some three centuries later.

The Greek Codex Claromontanus, one of the most significant New Testament manuscripts, contains a list of the canonical books of the fourth century. (The manuscript itself originates in the sixth century, however most scholars believe that the actual list dates back to the Alexandrian Church from two centuries earlier.) That list did not exclude Philippians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians or Hebrews. But guess what? It does include the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas.

And what about about Paul's epistles? Why, for instance, was his epistle to the Laodiceans considered less authoritative than his other epistles? Or was it? Maybe it had just been lost prior to when the first canon was compiled. It's mentioned in Colossians 4:16, for instance. Obviously, it was considered authoritative at the time it was written. Paul also wrote an additional epistle to the Ephesians and another to the Corinthians. When did his "apostolic authorship" come into question? Jude, too, wrote another epistle. Why would it have be considered so unreliable as to have been intentionally omitted from the today's canon?

If we go to the Old Testament, there are even more books that are missing. These were written by "Samuel the seer," "Nathan the prophet," "Shemaiah the prophet" and others. 2 Chronicles mentions many of these by name. Why haven't we gotten rid of 2 Chronicles by now, since it references so many prophets whose work was apparently not the word of God after all? Apparently some people believe that the Bible went from being "God-breathed" to "not God-breathed" and back again quite a few times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity