Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 09:42 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The discipline to love God and each other every day and repent when we fail by trying to be in one or more of those states of mind associated with God's Holy Spirit as often as possible.
I’d say that G-d created a road map of sorts to assist us in striving toward that goal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 10:15 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I’d say that G-d created a road map of sorts to assist us in striving toward that goal...
I agree that the roadmap was provided.
The Torah provided the essential carnal discipline and spiritual insights and Jesus provided the essential perfection for our connection to G-d. Of course, that is how I see it through my Christian lens.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:15 AM

3,220 posts, read 924,130 times
“The son can do nothing on his own, he can only do what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does the son does likewise for the Father loves the son and whatever he does He shows him.”

Jesus said this so we would become the son, the servant of God, and follow Him.

The son justifies.

“By your words you’ll be justified and by your words you’ll condemned.”

“If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”

“If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.”

Old 10-10-2021, 12:10 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
I agree Richard

The scattered have a purpose for their being scattered

And the gathering together has a purpose too

There is natural diversity that relates to generations and flesh

and there is unity that is to be in the Spirit

The difference between the 2 is immense and all living, breathing, moving things have a share in the spiritual things but it is at vastly different levels and regions by design

Old 10-10-2021, 02:12 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I agree that the roadmap was provided.
The Torah provided the essential carnal discipline and spiritual insights and Jesus provided the essential perfection for our connection to G-d. Of course, that is how I see it through my Christian lens.
You become what you practice...If you practice righteousness then you become righteous, if you practice evil then you become evil...It’s your choice and the responsibility is on you...

Let’s begin with the first mitzvah of just the first ten:

Shemot - Exodus - Chapter 20

2 "I am the Lord, your God, Who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

There’s a lot to be said with this first one...If you believe in G-d then the observance of the following Mitzvot would apply, if you don’t believe in G-d then the observance of the following Mitzvot does not matter at all...Your belief in G-d would drive you to strive to be that righteous person...Meditating on the Torah would help to form your personality in righteousness..

What did your Jesus say to the rich young ruler when he asked how he may obtain eternal life?...

But, doing those from rote doesn’t help you in becoming a truly righteous person, doing them to strive to be a better person because that is what you want to be does help you to become that righteous person...Like it says, G-d looks at the heart and sees either a man doing it by rote or doing it with the desire to become a better person...Practice makes perfect...

Old 10-10-2021, 02:48 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
You become what you practice...If you practice righteousness then you become righteous, if you practice evil then you become evil...It’s your choice and the responsibility is on you...

2 "I am the Lord, your God, Who took you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

There’s a lot to be said with this first one...If you believe in G-d then the observance of the following Mitzvot would apply, if you don’t believe in G-d then the observance of the following Mitzvot does not matter at all...Your belief in G-d would drive you to strive to be that righteous person...Meditating on the Torah would help to form your personality in righteousness..

What did your Jesus say to the rich young ruler when he asked how he may obtain eternal life?...

But, doing those from rote doesn’t help you in becoming a truly righteous person, doing them to strive to be a better person because that is what you want to be does help you to become that righteous person...Like it says, G-d looks at the heart and sees either a man doing it by rote or doing it with the desire to become a better person...Practice makes perfect...
Nicely put

Rote learning has a place, but eventually we need to progress to understanding the meanings and have the right attitudes

The Scriptures have a whole lot more to them than the individual, physical, literal

Joh 3:12**If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
Joh 3:13**And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
Joh 3:14**And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
Joh 3:15**That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

Like the Jew, the Christian is also given rituals, doctrines, observance, duty which are about the “basics” “rote” “stories” “narratives” ideal for children

Old 10-20-2021, 11:18 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,264,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbg33 View Post
1 John 3:9
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Salvation is a free gift. You can not earn it.

It is like a car if a gave my son a car it is his not mine. If he destroys it that is his fault that doesn't mean I took it from him.

Same thing with salvation it is a free gift eternal life that God gives us it is life that will not end unless we choose to kill it with sin.

It is our life to let live or kill with sin. We can not earn it it must be given to us from God.

And just like the car I gave my son, did I really give it to him if when he chooses to destroy it I don't let him. If I could stop him that would insinuate that it wasn't really his.
I don’t think John was talking about the occasional sin we all commit. He couldn’t be because we all sin and fall short. I think he was referring to sin which is ongoing. A person who has truly been born of God will not continue in sin but will repent and turn away from his/her sin.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:53 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:

I agree, Richard. The reason Jesus summed the law into two is that acting with agape love creates a state of mind that promotes righteousness and prevents sin or "missing the mark."

Last edited by MysticPhD; 10-20-2021 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-20-2021, 01:51 PM

64 posts, read 16,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbg33 View Post
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Salvation is a free gift. You can not earn it.

It is like a car if a gave my son a car it is his not mine. If he destroys it that is his fault that doesn't mean I took it from him.

Same thing with salvation it is a free gift eternal life that God gives us it is life that will not end unless we choose to kill it with sin.

It is our life to let live or kill with sin. We can not earn it it must be given to us from God.

And just like the car I gave my son, did I really give it to him if when he chooses to destroy it I don't let him. If I could stop him that would insinuate that it wasn't really his.
CORRECTED TO BE THE TRUTH:
If Christians sin they were never ever born of God according to
what is written in the book of John in the bible.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:53 PM

64 posts, read 16,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
No, That is wrong, the saved through Christ is not under the law ....... They are to be an active oppose sin and work to stop all the time is the will of God ..... See the saved are under Jesus Christ, and His righteousness only, as people righteousness is like filthy rags, so repenting and resisting sin is the plan of God prefers ...... Do you know that sickness and disease and entertaining the devil is also sin and must be put down through faith in Christ
Please explain why you do not believe this is the truth?

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin;
for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin,
because he is born of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity