Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 01:04 AM

45,590 posts, read 27,215,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Why?
Because ultimately you don't believe in the content of the Bible. You never have. You believe in only what you understand. If it's beyond your realm of knowledge, you poo-poo it. Christ rose physically from the dead... but not to you.

I watched the video.

I am amazed at people living thousands of years in the future are sitting here today judging what was written in the Bible as though they are omnipresent. Just rip out 2 Timothy 3:16 from the Bible... God has nothing to do with the content written. It's all man's effort, and they knew how to embellish and tell a good story.

Here's my technical term for the video... hogwash.

Jesus performed many miracles directly while on the earth. Are those embellishments as well? If He can walk on the water, get in a boat and stop a raging storm in an instant - why would parting the Red Sea be beyond His power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 05:53 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This should concern the OP.

I think it would have concerned Mike555.
Michael Way changed his name from Mike555.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Michael Way changed his name from Mike555.
I know. I had a purpose with that statement.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:27 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Because ultimately you don't believe in the content of the Bible. You never have. You believe in only what you understand. If it's beyond your realm of knowledge, you poo-poo it. Christ rose physically from the dead... but not to you.

I watched the video.

I am amazed at people living thousands of years in the future are sitting here today judging what was written in the Bible as though they are omnipresent. Just rip out 2 Timothy 3:16 from the Bible... God has nothing to do with the content written. It's all man's effort, and they knew how to embellish and tell a good story.

Here's my technical term for the video... hogwash.

Jesus performed many miracles directly while on the earth. Are those embellishments as well? If He can walk on the water, get in a boat and stop a raging storm in an instant - why would parting the Red Sea be beyond His power?
To people like you who take the Bible as ENTIRELY literal and the actual word of God, my belief that it CONTAINS the word of God is anathema. But that does NOT mean I do not believe in the content of the Bible. Our primitive ancestors interpreted what they were capable of in the context of God that they were indoctrinated with. That is why they misinterpreted most of what Jesus taught and demonstrated, particularly what Jesus did on the Cross.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
To people like you who take the Bible as ENTIRELY literal and the actual word of God, my belief that it CONTAINS the word of God is anathema. But that does NOT mean I do not believe in the content of the Bible. Our primitive ancestors interpreted what they were capable of in the context of God that they were indoctrinated with. That is why they misinterpreted most of what Jesus taught and demonstrated, particularly what Jesus did on the Cross.
See - that's where you are wrong. I DON'T take the Bible as entirely literal.

There are different styles of writing in the Bible. Historical accounts are literal. Poetry can be symbolic. It is based on the style of writing... and it is based on the context of the account.

Obviously illustrations are used that are symbolic. When God covers us with His wings (Psalm 61:4), He isn't a chicken.

The main problem you have IMO is that you leave God out of having anything to do with what is presented in the Bible. Ditto for the guy in the video.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The main problem you have IMO is that you leave God out of having anything to do with what is presented in the Bible. Ditto for the guy in the video.
That is NOT true. I specifically put God IN as revealed by Jesus Christ on the Cross. That places God in opposition to many of the things our ancestors and those who wrote the scriptures believed ABOUT God. They used the WRONG CONTEXT of God as wrathful and vengeful and needing to be appeased in all their interpretations. Using God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus on the Cross, their misunderstanding of God can be overcome.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
That is NOT true. I specifically put God IN as revealed by Jesus Christ on the Cross. That places God in opposition to many of the things our ancestors and those who wrote the scriptures believed ABOUT God. They used the WRONG CONTEXT of God as wrathful and vengeful and needing to be appeased in all their interpretations. Using God's Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness as revealed and demonstrated by Jesus on the Cross, their misunderstanding of God can be overcome.
I am getting ready to head out for awhile...

Here you go ... "they used the wrong context". You say they misunderstood in what they wrote.

God is telling you who He is through what was written - and you say it's wrong.

It's exactly what I stated above. You don't believe in the content presented in the Bible. You are smarter that those primitive people and sit in the judgment seat, finding fault with what they wrote.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:06 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
The Old Testament is history but what is the New Testament? There are many stories in the Old Testament that match stories that already existed in ancient times that they are just repeating, changing the names. Ancient Egypt (Ra, the sun god), ancient Crete, every civilization seemed to have its historical stories. Any co-incidence that Jesus (the light) was born practically on the darkest day of the year? The Romans even celebrated that day and they didn't believe in Jesus.

I get confused about the New Testament. I'd like to see an explanation of THAT!

Old 10-09-2021, 11:12 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
I think the concept of God changes with the times. When it is perceived by the leaders that people need a harsh and cruel God, that's what they preach and what people believe. In other eras, God is taught as a loving father figure. The Puritans believed he was mean and would punish people--that's how they got their people to obey. These days he's a loving God and you need to be "saved." It's almost political how the idea of God changes over the centuries.

Old 10-09-2021, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I am getting ready to head out for awhile...

Here you go ... "they used the wrong context". You say they misunderstood in what they wrote.

God is telling you who He is through what was written - and you say it's wrong.

It's exactly what I stated above. You don't believe in the content presented in the Bible. You are smarter that those primitive people and sit in the judgment seat, finding fault with what they wrote.
No, it is NOT me. It is the God revealed by Jesus Christ that judges them to be wrong about His Father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity