Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM

80 posts, read 162,253 times

Advertisements

I don't mean an initial teaching certificate with an added endorsement in a second subject, but two actual separate certifications.

I know that most people tell me that the way that it's done is by adding endorsements to your first certificate, but I am curious: if, for whatever reason, I hold, say, a K-12 Spanish certification, but I want to have a whole separate certification in say, Early Childhood Education through the completion of another degree...is that allowed? I mean...would a teacher who holds a previous licensure be told, "Sorry, you can't hold two licenses, you can only add endorsements"? I know it sounds silly, but I truly just want to know if it's something that can be done.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2015 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:23 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,446 times
My daughter was a Spanish major and had minors in special ed and elem ed. She took all the necessary tests and is able to teach Spanish K-12, special ed K-12 and el ed k-6. Not sure if that is what you wanted to know or not.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
In my state, is believe that all of your teaching certifications are listed on the same license.

I am not really sure what you mean by different "licenses" rather than just different "endorsements".
I know many teachers who started out in one area and went back and added something completely different. Why would you need or want a totally different degree if you are able to do it with just taking an additional semester or two worth of classes?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
My daughter was a Spanish major and had minors in special ed and elem ed. She took all the necessary tests and is able to teach Spanish K-12, special ed K-12 and el ed k-6. Not sure if that is what you wanted to know or not.
HI! Thanks for responding.
I'll try to make it short and simple:

I am close to finishing an M.Ed. with a K-12 Spanish Certificate from Montana State University. After I had decided to teach high school Spanish and started my M.Ed, I realized (while working as a long-term substitute teacher an an elementary school for two whole semesters) that I am absolutely in love with teaching K-2 children. It's an amazing thing that has made me grow, learn, and rethink my whole strategy to become a teacher. Also, for the longest time, I have wanted to teach in inner-city NY, but for financial reasons I have stayed in CT until I finish my graduate degree. Now, everyone tells me, "no big whoop. Just get your license in Spanish from MSU, move to NYC, and then add an Early Childhood Education to your original license.

Thing is that since New York State doesn't have a K-12 Spanish credential, the process to change/transfer my Montana K-12 Spanish licensure to one of NY's grades-9 to 12 certificates could be more difficult and take more time than if I just got an initial NY license after attending a NY-certified program from a NY institution. I just found a great NY program that would lead to an initial DUAL licensure in Early Childhood Education and Special Ed Early Childhood Education; it's affordable and convenient, since it's also online, but since the school is based in NY, the certificate I'd get is a NY one. I could stay in CT for now (which is good for my pocketbook), finish this online, and maybe move to NY when I am closer to completing this one program.
Ok, so much for making this short and simple.

My question is if one can get a different, separate certification if one wanted, or if I would have to necessarily try to transfer my Montana licensure to a NY one, and then add an ECE endorsement? I know that the latter would be cheaper, but all I want to know is if it can be done. Do colleges allow that? I am, as you can see, completely clueless about these certification processes.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Sorry for the tangent.

Wow! I am amazed! Was she able to do in just an undergraduate program?

Due to the specialized requirements of each degree, I would be shocked if someone in my state could even get that many certifications while doing a combined undergraduate and master's degree (as special ed alone is either EC-3 or or 3-6 or K-6, 6-8 (or 6-9), or 9-12--- so that is equivalent to three separate certifications just by itself to be able to teach K-12).

Wow, in my state that many certifications would probably mean at least five semesters worth of student teaching. Unless, her state does it a totally different way or this happened a while ago.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In my state, is believe that all of your teaching certifications are listed on the same license.

I am not really sure what you mean by different "licenses" rather than just different "endorsements".
I know many teachers who started out in one area and went back and added something completely different. Why would you need or want a totally different degree if you are able to do it with just taking an additional semester or two worth of classes?

That's what I meant, two licenses...separate from each other.

I know, it sounds stupid, but I am just curious if it can be done. I went into more detail about why I would think about getting a whole different license versus adding an endorsement in my previous post,but maybe I am not looking at the full picture. I'd love some advice.
Thanks!

Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Another option, I think, would be to take all the online Early Childhood Education classes that I'd need at this NY school, and then doing the required NY tests, right? I mean...if I do that, the process to get NYS certified would be smoother, correct? What I don't know is if just taking the classes (versus doing a whole degree) would not qualify me to student teach, and I believe that NYS requires a student teaching to endorse you or certify you. Right? What I am trying to avoid is the whole reciprocity/transfer from MSU license to NY license because they are not comparable, although they are both in Spanish. The Montana one is K-12 while the ones that NY confers are 9-12.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAteacherNYC View Post
HI! Thanks for responding.
I'll try to make it short and simple:

I am close to finishing an M.Ed. with a K-12 Spanish Certificate from Montana State University. After I had decided to teach high school Spanish and started my M.Ed, I realized (while working as a long-term substitute teacher an an elementary school for two whole semesters) that I am absolutely in love with teaching K-2 children. It's an amazing thing that has made me grow, learn, and rethink my whole strategy to become a teacher. Also, for the longest time, I have wanted to teach in inner-city NY, but for financial reasons I have stayed in CT until I finish my graduate degree. Now, everyone tells me, "no big whoop. Just get your license in Spanish from MSU, move to NYC, and then add an Early Childhood Education to your original license.

Thing is that since New York State doesn't have a K-12 Spanish credential, the process to change/transfer my Montana K-12 Spanish licensure to one of NY's grades-9 to 12 certificates could be more difficult and take more time than if I just got an initial NY license after attending a NY-certified program from a NY institution. I just found a great NY program that would lead to an initial DUAL licensure in Early Childhood Education and Special Ed Early Childhood Education; it's affordable and convenient, since it's also online, but since the school is based in NY, the certificate I'd get is a NY one. I could stay in CT for now (which is good for my pocketbook), finish this online, and maybe move to NY when I am closer to completing this one program.
Ok, so much for making this short and simple.

My question is if one can get a different, separate certification if one wanted, or if I would have to necessarily try to transfer my Montana licensure to a NY one, and then add an ECE endorsement? I know that the latter would be cheaper, but all I want to know is if it can be done. Do colleges allow that? I am, as you can see, completely clueless about these certification processes.

Thanks for your help!!!
You should check on the certifications for the state where you want to teach.

Sometimes it is fairly easy to transfer your teaching license to a new state and get an equivalent teaching license/certification and other times you need to take multiple undergraduate or graduate credits for each certification. Sometimes, depending on where you received your teaching license, the specifics of the license and what state you move to, you may need to take many, many additional classes.

I suggest that you take your questions to the Department Of Public Instruction in the state where you plan to teach.

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
You should check on the certifications for the state where you want to teach.

Sometimes it is fairly easy to transfer your teaching license to a new state and get an equivalent teaching license/certification and other times you need to take multiple undergraduate or graduate credits for each certification. Sometimes, depending on where you received your teaching license, the specifics of the license and what state you move to, you may need to take many, many additional classes.

I suggest that you take your questions to the Department Of Public Instruction in the state where you plan to teach.

Good luck.
Thanks!!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,446 times
Quote:
Sorry for the tangent.

Wow! I am amazed! Was she able to do in just an undergraduate program?

Due to the specialized requirements of each degree, I would be shocked if someone in my state could even get that many certifications while doing a combined undergraduate and master's degree (as special ed alone is either EC-3 or or 3-6 or K-6, 6-8 (or 6-9), or 9-12--- so that is equivalent to three separate certifications just by itself to be able to teach K-12).

Wow, in my state that many certifications would probably mean at least five semesters worth of student teaching. Unless, her state does it a totally different way or this happened a while ago.

Yes, she did as an undergrad- was very careful which courses she took. She was certified in PA. Moved to NC and was subbing in special ed. I kept telling her to talk to the district to see if her special ed cert was good. She kept insisting it wasn't. After about 4 months of subbing in the same classroom and they couldn't hire/find a teacher to fill the position, the administration called her in. Look at her certificate and said it could be transferred as well. I believe she had to send paperwork to the state, then rec'd the certificate. During this whole process, she was only getting paid a sub salary and didn't get benefits. (I resisted saying,"I told you so"!!!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching